Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to see menus of artists, playlists, etc. while using bluetooth audio streaming? I have tested the latest android and iphone OS's and have been unable to browse music when steaming...

any answers??

·
Registered
557 Posts
i have a '12 HK system and while streaming via my iphone4 i can see the artist and song title on the radio display but i can not browse through my music library/playlist.

i can simply move forward or backward while streaming.

in order for me to access my music library on the phone i have to be connected via the usb port in the media hub thingy.

joel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In this case, bluetooth streaming seems semi useless when you have 8000 songs on your iphone. I do however like how audio from a movie can be streamed to the stereo system.. this could be useful... maybe....

·
Registered
557 Posts
i agree with you.

when i 'think' i want to listen to my music library i connect via usb.

i typically listen to hawaiian radio stations via the tunein app so bluetooth streaming is good-to-go.

aloha \\mn//

joel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree with you.

when i 'think' i want to listen to my music library i connect via usb.

i typically listen to hawaiian radio stations via the tunein app so bluetooth streaming is good-to-go.

aloha \\mn//

joel
gotcha.. i am smartphoneLESS.. So this is research for a possible buy... I guess pandora streaming and the like would also be useful...

·
Registered
557 Posts
oh, do you have an ipod? just plug into the usb port and control music through the headunit.

then pair your phone via bluetooth.

i think a thumbdrive will work in the usb port, too.

you'll have to research about folder and organizing as i haven't done that.

joel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, do you have an ipod? just plug into the usb port and control music through the headunit.

then pair your phone via bluetooth.

i think a thumbdrive will work in the usb port, too.

you'll have to research about folder and organizing as i haven't done that.

joel
i have a 5th generation ipod and it works great via usb.. menu items are organized and playback is great. i keep it hooked up all the time... i was just looking for a phone that would combine my music and my cell phone... it looks like the iphone is the best option to do this for use with the outback. i would have liked to use the bluetooth streaming with the iphone to listen to music in my library but if i can't view the menus like i can when my ipod is hooked up via usb, then bluetooth streaming is not an option. without this option, the smartphone loses appeal to me...

·
Registered
375 Posts
i have a 5th generation ipod and it works great via usb.. menu items are organized and playback is great. i keep it hooked up all the time... i was just looking for a phone that would combine my music and my cell phone... it looks like the iphone is the best option to do this for use with the outback. i would have liked to use the bluetooth streaming with the iphone to listen to music in my library but if i can't view the menus like i can when my ipod is hooked up via usb, then bluetooth streaming is not an option. without this option, the smartphone loses appeal to me...
I believe I've already responded to this in another thread on the same topic, but anyways:

Bluetooth requires a specific version of the protocol to support browsing playlists/etc: AVRCP 1.4. I have yet to find a head unit that supports this. I have yet to see anything solid that any phone supports it either. iPhone, Android, whatever, this setup doesn't yet work anywhere.

Because I have needed 1A chargers for my iPhone in the past so I can use it as GPS, I've been stuck with bluetooth streaming for a while. It mostly boils down to me picking the playlist/etc while the car is stopped before I leave, and using the steering wheel controls to navigate that playlist while I drive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe I've already responded to this in another thread on the same topic, but anyways:

Bluetooth requires a specific version of the protocol to support browsing playlists/etc: AVRCP 1.4. I have yet to find a head unit that supports this. I have yet to see anything solid that any phone supports it either. iPhone, Android, whatever, this setup doesn't yet work anywhere.

Because I have needed 1A chargers for my iPhone in the past so I can use it as GPS, I've been stuck with bluetooth streaming for a while. It mostly boils down to me picking the playlist/etc while the car is stopped before I leave, and using the steering wheel controls to navigate that playlist while I drive.
thanks for posting this definitive information... is bluetooth streaming capable of sending album art to head units?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just picked up my 2012 OB a few weeks ago. Just paired my phone yesterday and have been happy with streaming (Pandora) and phone function. Question, every time I have turned the car off when I go back i have to switch the radio to BT and then ID the device and choose before it starts working again. Is this the way it is? Or did I miss a step?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up my 2012 OB a few weeks ago. Just paired my phone yesterday and have been happy with streaming (Pandora) and phone function. Question, every time I have turned the car off when I go back i have to switch the radio to BT and then ID the device and choose before it starts working again. Is this the way it is? Or did I miss a step?
on my 2013 i only have to re select my device after my wife has used her device with the vehicle... it automatically reconnects my device after i turn the car off and on (when NOT having switched devices)... i think the problem could be your device (maybe a setting in your device).. you should run some tests with someone elses device...

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks for posting this definitive information... is bluetooth streaming capable of sending album art to head units?
v1.3 of AVRCP only supports the core metadata as far as I can tell: Title, Artist, Album. No album art, which is kinda disappointing.

The problem with clean standards like Bluetooth is that it takes forever to do anything. Deciding by committee is always going to be slow and painful because of everyone having slightly different interests. Everything gets debated to death.

It means folks like Apple or Microsoft can swoop in and create a defacto standard (iPod connectivity, for example) more quickly, but it will be proprietary.

·
Registered
375 Posts
An interesting little tidbit I stumbled across recently that might interest you:

iOS 6 supports what Apple calls "AVRCP Browsing" which is v1.4, and is the ability to browse the music library on the device.

Now if only there was a head unit I was aware of that supported it. My google fu fails me here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My iPhour worked fine, with Pandora and iTunes. When I switched to the HTC One, I can only get Google Play/Music (All Access)...whatever the 'ef it's called to display the Song info correctly. So, is does not work with Pandora on Android, on my phone at least. And the last song played on Google Music/Play is stuck there, even though I have closed the app and in the background processes. :(

Kind of sucks, but not a deal breaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
nilo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing