Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'd like to be able to do the following, but can't seem to get it to work.

I can play audio through bluetooth no problem, but i can not plug it into the media hub via usb to charge/play. If i turn off bluetooth, then no problem, can charge and play audio through media hub, but I lose the ability to answer hands free. I'd really like to be able to have the bluetooth up and running so i can answer hands free but play audio through the media hub and charge the phone. My commute is pretty short so i have been using bluetooth to play audio, but it drains the battery quite a bit, would love. I also like to be able to control what audio i'm playing through the controls on the cd player, which i can't do when playing over bluetooth.

Any fixes for this? or is it just something where i've got to pick one over the other. If it matters i've got the base model 2.5i, no special radio/cd or nav or anything like that.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
1) What phone do you have?
2) Have you tried unpairing the phone, then repairing via the voice commands?

Most of us have had luck using the voice set up feature, but to get everything to work right it can take more than one try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phone is an iphone 4s.

I haven't tried unpairing and repairing. I'll give that a shot later.

I guess i'm just looking to make sure what I want to be able to do is possible. When i try to plug the iphone in via usb when linked by bluetooth, play starts for 1-2 seconds and then stops, no matter what mode i'm in. I've tried letting the phone pair with the car, then plugging in, tried plugging in before starting the car and get the same results each time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Phone is an iphone 4s.

I haven't tried unpairing and repairing. I'll give that a shot later.

I guess i'm just looking to make sure what I want to be able to do is possible. When i try to plug the iphone in via usb when linked by bluetooth, play starts for 1-2 seconds and then stops, no matter what mode i'm in. I've tried letting the phone pair with the car, then plugging in, tried plugging in before starting the car and get the same results each time.
Instead of plugging in to the cars usb port, use a 12v auto usb charger. I have one with 2 usb ports so 2 phones can charge. They cost under 10 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instead of plugging in to the cars usb port, use a 12v auto usb charger. I have one with 2 usb ports so 2 phones can charge. They cost under 10 bucks.
Wouldn't that prevent me from controlling the ipod (playlists and stuff) with the radio head unit and controls on steering wheel? If i control it through bluetooth, then any changes in playlist have to be done through the iphone. I'd like to be able to control everything from the head unit/steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Wouldn't that prevent me from controlling the ipod (playlists and stuff) with the radio head unit and controls on steering wheel? If i control it through bluetooth, then any changes in playlist have to be done through the iphone. I'd like to be able to control everything from the head unit/steering wheel controls.
I don't have a 4S but my friend does and we used it during a trip. You can use the steering controls in any mode. The USB gives you control over folders but I've never done that.

In bluetooth you can jump forward and back from your current song and adjust the volume. You can program your phone to automatically select a predetermined playlist too when you start the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes sorry, I misread the original question. From my experience, what you are trying to do can't be done. If you pair the phone through the audio menu, it will set it up to stream music only, but not phone audio. If you pair through the phone menu, it will pair both the phone and music streaming. It seems that you would have to disable the phones bluetooth music streaming profile, and pair just the phone. I'm not sure if this is possible. I have an old HD based iPod plugged into the USB port, and have my phone set up with bluetooth... maybe that, or try a dedicated usb stick with the music on it... but it's not as nice as the iPod usb interface.

Sean
* related discussion : https://discussions.apple.com/message/16189860#16189860

·
Registered
2013 Twilight Blue Outback
14 Posts
Had the exact same problem. I have to plug it in (USB), the cycle through the "options" until it hits "USB", then my phone chirps, and it shows charging. then I can switch back to any other source such as FM or CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an old HD based iPod plugged into the USB port, and have my phone set up with bluetooth...
This is what i was planning on doing, but my old ipod classic has a shot battery, and won't hold a charge. My old vehicle basically always provided power even if the car was off, so it wasn't an issue, with the outback, power only flows to the usb if the car is running. Also really like using pandora and spotify in addition to my music. I guess bluetooth it is until i get a new ipod.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is what i was planning on doing, but my old ipod classic has a shot battery, and won't hold a charge. My old vehicle basically always provided power even if the car was off, so it wasn't an issue, with the outback, power only flows to the usb if the car is running. Also really like using pandora and spotify in addition to my music. I guess bluetooth it is until i get a new ipod.
Replacing an ipod battery is not difficult. Ifixit.com has great step by step instructions for most models.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Many peripherals will NOT charge through USB outlet in OB center armrest console (not sure if that was the question or problem). Using that USB outlet, you can acccess files, play music and control volume/files with buttons on your steering wheel.
If you want to charge anything, you should plug it into any of the 12V power outlets. For those, you can buy an adaptor with USB female terminal, as mentioned earlier by another poster and charge i-phones/smart phones, etc.

·
Registered
'13 OB 2.5i Limited
52 Posts
Most peripherals will NOT charge through USB outlet in OB center armrest console (not sure if that was the question or problem). Using that USB outlet, you can acccess files, play music and control volume/files with buttons on your steering wheel.
If you want to charge anything, you have to plug it into any of the 12V power outlets. For those, you can buy an adaptor with USB female terminal, as mentioned earlier by another poster and charge i-phones/smart phones, etc.
Huh? My iPhone 4s charges just fine.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
i-Pad doesn't charge using the USB port in the arm rest console....hence "most peripherals".....didn't say "all" ....LOL... my smart phone doesn't charge using that USB outlet ....I have re-phrased my post .... sorry about that!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe this question has been answered already, but I don't see it. Can I charge my iphone 4 via the USB while having it connected via Bluetooth? Essentially, does that USB port provide power even if the USB audio source isn't being used? I prefer to stream via BT and then just plug in to charge when needed, but still use BT streaming.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Maybe this question has been answered already, but I don't see it. Can I charge my iphone 4 via the USB while having it connected via Bluetooth? Essentially, does that USB port provide power even if the USB audio source isn't being used? I prefer to stream via BT and then just plug in to charge when needed, but still use BT streaming.
SeanU's post earlier addressed this issue, I think... .. isn't this an answer to you question?

·
Registered
84 Posts
SeanU's post earlier addressed this issue, I think... .. isn't this an answer to you question?
Not really. The closest answer was your previous post about most devices not charging. I am just wondering if its possible to use the USB port just to charge (not for audio) regardless of what input the stereo is using. And if so, has anyone had luck with charging the iPhone. Mine doesn't seem to charge, but also seems to get some power from it. It's weird.

·
Registered
2013 Twilight Blue Outback
14 Posts
Not really. The closest answer was your previous post about most devices not charging. I am just wondering if its possible to use the USB port just to charge (not for audio) regardless of what input the stereo is using. And if so, has anyone had luck with charging the iPhone. Mine doesn't seem to charge, but also seems to get some power from it. It's weird.

I charge my iphone all the time using USB, but using other modes on the stereo (such as CD or FM). Ive never had a problem. After i plug the phone into the USB port, I have to scroll through source options, until I hit the screen that says "reading USB", then I can change it back to any other source, and throw the phone into the cubby to charge. Mine will also charge my ipad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I charge my iphone all the time using USB, but using other modes on the stereo (such as CD or FM). Ive never had a problem. After i plug the phone into the USB port, I have to scroll through source options, until I hit the screen that says "reading USB", then I can change it back to any other source, and throw the phone into the cubby to charge. Mine will also charge my ipad.
Ok, thanks for this answer. I'll give that a try!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
That's weird - mine does not charge the iPad - I can just play back songs stored from my iTunes....and before I do anything, it reads
"not charging"!

·
Registered
2013 Dark Gray 2.5i Premium
30 Posts
That's weird - mine does not charge the iPad - I can just play back songs stored from my iTunes....and before I do anything, it reads
"not charging"!
iPad (unlike the rest of the apple family) requires higher amperage than most USB ports can provide - hence the bigger brick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts