Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 bluetooth for phone only

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Karmabiker 
#1 ·
so, i'd like to be able to do the following, but can't seem to get it to work.

I can play audio through bluetooth no problem, but i can not plug it into the media hub via usb to charge/play. If i turn off bluetooth, then no problem, can charge and play audio through media hub, but I lose the ability to answer hands free. I'd really like to be able to have the bluetooth up and running so i can answer hands free but play audio through the media hub and charge the phone. My commute is pretty short so i have been using bluetooth to play audio, but it drains the battery quite a bit, would love. I also like to be able to control what audio i'm playing through the controls on the cd player, which i can't do when playing over bluetooth.

Any fixes for this? or is it just something where i've got to pick one over the other. If it matters i've got the base model 2.5i, no special radio/cd or nav or anything like that.

#2 ·
1) What phone do you have?
2) Have you tried unpairing the phone, then repairing via the voice commands?

Most of us have had luck using the voice set up feature, but to get everything to work right it can take more than one try.

#3 ·
Phone is an iphone 4s.

I haven't tried unpairing and repairing. I'll give that a shot later.

I guess i'm just looking to make sure what I want to be able to do is possible. When i try to plug the iphone in via usb when linked by bluetooth, play starts for 1-2 seconds and then stops, no matter what mode i'm in. I've tried letting the phone pair with the car, then plugging in, tried plugging in before starting the car and get the same results each time.

#11 ·
Many peripherals will NOT charge through USB outlet in OB center armrest console (not sure if that was the question or problem). Using that USB outlet, you can acccess files, play music and control volume/files with buttons on your steering wheel.
If you want to charge anything, you should plug it into any of the 12V power outlets. For those, you can buy an adaptor with USB female terminal, as mentioned earlier by another poster and charge i-phones/smart phones, etc.

#12 ·
Most peripherals will NOT charge through USB outlet in OB center armrest console (not sure if that was the question or problem). Using that USB outlet, you can acccess files, play music and control volume/files with buttons on your steering wheel.
If you want to charge anything, you have to plug it into any of the 12V power outlets. For those, you can buy an adaptor with USB female terminal, as mentioned earlier by another poster and charge i-phones/smart phones, etc.
Huh? My iPhone 4s charges just fine.

#13 ·
i-Pad doesn't charge using the USB port in the arm rest console....hence "most peripherals".....didn't say "all" ....LOL... my smart phone doesn't charge using that USB outlet ....I have re-phrased my post .... sorry about that!

#14 ·
Maybe this question has been answered already, but I don't see it. Can I charge my iphone 4 via the USB while having it connected via Bluetooth? Essentially, does that USB port provide power even if the USB audio source isn't being used? I prefer to stream via BT and then just plug in to charge when needed, but still use BT streaming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.