Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2013 Subaru Outback, is it normal to hear a clunk from releasing the brake pedal? Doesn’t happen all the time and more consistent when releasing the pedal faster.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
My 2012 does the same thing. Loose tolerances in the pivot. This is one more annoyance that my dealer blew off as "normal".

·
Registered
61 Posts
2012 Outback 3.6. I got the same line, "normal". I'll just keep mentioning it every service. I don't think it should make a noise. No car I ever owned made this type of noise pushing and releasing the break pedal. Annoying, just like that "click" in the shifter area, but everything seems to work.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
My 13' also does it - I was going to mention it on my next oil change, but it appears it may not do me any good?

Does anyone have any DIY solutions?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
With 2013 Subaru Outback, is it normal to hear a clunk from releasing the brake pedal? Doesn’t happen all the time and more consistent when releasing the pedal faster.
Could you describe it? I haven't seen this with my 2013, but perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what sort of "clunk" sound you mean.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
The sound is inside the cabin with the actual pedal - sometimes when I release the brake pedal it makes a loud release sound. Sounds mechanical like the lever has too much bounce back.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i SAP Limited
32 Posts
Hi all,

Unfortunately this issue has been addressed in multiple threads within this forum, and at this point there is no resolution by Subaru. This issue has been reported since 2011 (that I have been able to find), so that does not give me any hope for a resolution. Folks reported having master cylinders replaced, brake boosters replaced, etc., but did not address the issue. Now dealerships are telling customers that this is normal.

I have had my 2013 Outback for a month, and am almost ready to take the depreciation hit and trade it in and get a Venza. The loud clunk/click is really annoying, and add the hiss generated from the "upgraded" Harmon Kardon system and it has really taken away from the experience of owning and driving a new car. Shame on Subaru for not providing a fix for these issues. I will never buy a Subaru product again. There is just no attention to detail.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
Hi all,

Unfortunately this issue has been addressed in multiple threads within this forum, and at this point there is no resolution by Subaru. This issue has been reported since 2011 (that I have been able to find), so that does not give me any hope for a resolution. Folks reported having master cylinders replaced, brake boosters replaced, etc., but did not address the issue. Now dealerships are telling customers that this is normal.
What he said. It's even an issue circulating on the Legacy forums. Subaru Canada published a memo with diagram explaining the design of the brake system, to illustrate why the noise happens. It's annoying, but not annoying enough for me to trade it in. (It's more annoying that it doesn't happen to everyone.) There's also a possibility it will get better in warmer weather. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I was little dramatic in my previous post as I was so annoyed by this issue this morning on my commute in. Like anything new, I want it to work "perfect" so this stuff really gets under my skin. My wife tells me I am OCD. (-:

I will most likely keep the Outback until next summer, and if I am still not used to the issue will trade it in at that point. It is super annoying, but not enough to take a significant depreciation hit!

Interesting about the Subaru Canada memo - thanks for the heads up on that. Also good to know it could get better in warmer weather - hope the summer makes it better!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
Yeah, I was little dramatic in my previous post as I was so annoyed by this issue this morning on my commute in. Like anything new, I want it to work "perfect" so this stuff really gets under my skin. My wife tells me I am OCD. (-:

I will most likely keep the Outback until next summer, and if I am still not used to the issue will trade it in at that point. It is super annoying, but not enough to take a significant depreciation hit!

Interesting about the Subaru Canada memo - thanks for the heads up on that. Also good to know it could get better in warmer weather - hope the summer makes it better!
I hear you, it really bugged me too. But, my wife is the primary driver, and she doesn't seem to mind for now, so I am not going to worry too much about it. Here is the Tech Bulletin I was talking about:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt.com%2Fforums%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D91401%26d%3D1287412711&ei=Sns0T8vgJITy2QXMxcSOAg&usg=AFQjCNFF_ooPy9YnSnJqpC4GrDl1QLBubw&sig2=RQ8cD6oNkUUo-Pu4x3bM8Q

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is just no attention to detail.
Sorry, you picked the wrong brand if this requirement was on your car shopping list. Didn't you pay attention to H/K stereo hiss when you test drove the car? The good thing is, Subarus hold their value very well. Trade her in, get Venza and be happy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, you picked the wrong brand if this requirement was on your car shopping list. Didn't you pay attention to H/K stereo hiss when you test drove the car? The good thing is, Subarus hold their value very well. Trade her in, get Venza and be happy...
Honestly, when I test drove it I only used the audio system for a few minutes and did not notice the hiss. Also I did not use the functions that create the elevating hiss sounds on my unit (navigation programming, bluetooth phone conversation) so it never came up or I just did not hear it. Had I noticed the brake pedal noise (which did not occur on my car until around 1000 miles) I would definitely not have purchased the car.

Also, I did not know that Subaru was a car manufacturer that did not pay attention to details. That is good to know also, and unfortunately, it sometimes takes this process of buying a car to learn that lesson. Lesson learned.

It is a shame, as I really like the styling of car, and how it handles on the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hear you, it really bugged me too. But, my wife is the primary driver, and she doesn't seem to mind for now, so I am not going to worry too much about it. Here is the Tech Bulletin I was talking about:
Thanks, two interesting things:

1) They say a slight clicking noise on the document, however the noise I am experiencing is very loud and noticeable (and is almost like a clunk). I guess they have to downplay it a bit...

2) It doesn't explain why it doesn't happen until around the 1000 mile mark. I guess at that point things have worn in a bit?

Regardless, Subaru says it is normal. I am in the software industry, and when we use the dreaded "working as designed" phrase, that means that no fix is coming... (-:

Thanks again for forwarding!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
What I can suggest is only one thing: MUSIC A LITTLE LOUDER AND ENJOY DRIVING THE ONE OF THE BEST CAR IN USA :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
It is a shame, as I really like the styling of car, and how it handles on the road.
When family or friends ask me about buying a Subaru, I make it abundantly clear that if rattles, clunks, piston slap, gaps in interior plastic panels bother them, they should not consider a Subaru. Subaru makes mechanically reliable, fun to drive (compared to other economy brands) cars. However, fit and finish is a whole different story :(

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Thanks, two interesting things:

1) They say a slight clicking noise on the document, however the noise I am experiencing is very loud and noticeable (and is almost like a clunk). I guess they have to downplay it a bit...

2) It doesn't explain why it doesn't happen until around the 1000 mile mark. I guess at that point things have worn in a bit?
The brake system supposedly was tweaked in the 2013s (not 100% on that) which may have changed the noise, but not the reason for it.

I did attempt to figure out if my vehicle made the same noise, but I don't think I got anything similar to what you are describing. The only real noise I get from the pedal is if I rapidly remove my foot from the brake to the gas. The pedal is still moving and "thumps" against something when it stops. Seems normal if hydraulics are involved.

Regardless, Subaru says it is normal. I am in the software industry, and when we use the dreaded "working as designed" phrase, that means that no fix is coming... (-:
It gets worse when dealing with a Japanese company. Depending on who says its normal, it may be fixed anyways quietly down the road. There's a culture of saving face that is bizarre by our standards in Japan. I've seen it done where a company denied the problem even existed until suddenly a fix showed up.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
I have this issue. When i let my foot off the brakes fast, I hear a click. Almost like there is play in the pedal.

Also anyone notice their brakes stick a little during this release? On a slight hill I notice a slight hold before the brakes release in the rear. I notice more due to driving a manual, but it seemed odd to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013, 3.6 Outback has the same type of click heard and felt in the shift lever. The dealer explained it as "normal" although it wasn't there when I first got it. Does that mean it was abnormal when I first got it? Anyway, I hear the click when I step on the brake in park and when I slow to a stop. The dealer said there's a solenoid which activates to allow shifting out of park only when the brake is depressed, thats one click, and also prevents shifting into reverse when in motion. When stopping it activates to allow shifting into reverse when stopped, that's the other click. I too like a quiet brand new car and it's annoying to hear this in a vehicle with less than 1000 miles. Oh, I live in south Florida so don't hope that warm weather will make it get better. Sorry.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'll put my teachers cap on and tap my best web based training skills and explain.

There is a frame which holds the pedals, Gas, Brake and Clutch if you have a MT. This frame is called the Pedal box not really all that technical. Each pedal is not directly connected to the things your activating. They press on the mechanical item that does the actual work. The click you hear is the pedal for a lack of a better word banging around hitting the actuator its resting against.

When I wear a certain hiking boot I have I tend to push on the brake with some side force not square on and when I slip said boot off the brake the pedal clacks against the actuator and rattles some in the pedal box.

This is what all of you are speaking of. There is no fix for this that won't alter the safety and durability of the pedal box. The pedal box is also designed to break away in a bad accident if the force is great enough. The idea being that it will break away vs impale your legs or feet into the floor board.

As some have mentioned every maker has their thing. American Auto has the over boosted steering, over boosted brake system, the big lazy boy lounger seats etc. Subaru is known for cheap highly capable cars that are reliable and Subaru doesn't pack them full of the latest options and offerings to both keep costs down and to avoid mechanical failures caused by new tech not being hashed out completely etc.

They also don't get overly crazy with interior fittings and things like PADDED more parts involved Pedal Boxes.

Knowing what and why it makes a certain sound is one thing. Complaining about a mechanical sound because the mechanics of the mechanical bits are working as designed is a whole other thing.

Some people probably shouldn't buy Subarus and stick to American cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts