Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010,2.5 limited black
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went thru a head gasket repair on a 2001 Legacy with 84,000 miles.
Vehicle was purchased new and well cared for.I feel I got a fair price for this job;purchased all the parts myself and used an experienced independent mechanic.Motor was pulled from the car the heads machined at a machine shop,new head bolts purchased.

CNG Auto kit for water pump,idler,belts etc. $219.88
All Wheel Drive gasket kit $246.69
Advance Auto:fluids,accessory belts,head bolts $188.27
Machine heads $170.00
Labor (16hrs) $572.00
total $1396.84

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Overall that's a more then fair price. Where you got someone to work for $40/hr I don't know unless the reports of slavery being abolished in US are exaggerated. When I had the work done on my 02, I just bought the HG from AWD and the rest of the gaskets from Advanced auto. Also I used the original bolts which numerous people have said is OK.

Also, I note that a great majority of the reported 01-07 subarus HG replacements are less then 100K.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L Special Edition Wagon, AT
27 Posts
I just got mine done last week with 92,000 miles. Similar price to what I got mine done with HG's, Gates timing belt kit with water pump, new intake & exhaust gaskets, valve cover & tube seals, new plugs, oil/coolant related items, new accessory belts and labor for $1200. With adjustment for you being on the East coast & me in the Midwest, I'd say that's about even.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just went thru a head gasket repair on a 2001 Legacy with 84,000 miles.
Vehicle was purchased new and well cared for.I feel I got a fair price for this job;purchased all the parts myself and used an experienced independent mechanic.Motor was pulled from the car the heads machined at a machine shop,new head bolts purchased.

CNG Auto kit for water pump,idler,belts etc. $219.88
All Wheel Drive gasket kit $246.69
Advance Auto:fluids,accessory belts,head bolts $188.27
Machine heads $170.00
Labor (16hrs) $572.00
total $1396.84
Mine was free at 65K no warranty, dropped it off at noon picked it up at noon the next day. Did you check with Subaru first? I bet they would have covered almost all of it for you. Sold the car many years later at 180K with zero issues.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles. The last time I had it state inspected mechanic stated head gasket was leaking slightly and should be replaced. Quoted price of 2400.00 for complete job. I think I will try a sealer kit specifically for this model Subaru . It is 149.00 and I hope it works . It has great reviews from others who have used

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles. The last time I had it state inspected mechanic stated head gasket was leaking slightly and should be replaced. Quoted price of 2400.00 for complete job. I think I will try a sealer kit specifically for this model Subaru . It is 149.00 and I hope it works . It has great reviews from others who have used
Any follow up report ? mine is 2009 outback 4 cyl leaking oil

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
There is no magic in the bottle for leaking oil. However, you can keep topping up the oil for many thousands of miles without any problem.. On my 02, it never really leaked a lot even after 5K miles, although it sure a spot in the driveway.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
there's nothing you can do when they leak oil externally.

but as just mentioned:

1. how much is it loosing every 1,000 miles?
2. keep topping off the oil so it doesn't get low and you can run it thousands of miles - you have lots o time to plan a repair/solution.

they leak slowly and get worse over long periods of time.

·
Registered
2000 Sub Outback Leg
41 Posts
So the so called "sealer kits" to stop the leak are ineffective then? Too bad. I want to keep my subaru forever. Guess I will just keep checking the oil. It is leaking more now than 10 years ago when I bought it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts