Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a note from my sales person a few weeks ago. Dont know if it applies to earlier models or not.

I just found out that the CVT transmission on the Subaru carries a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. PLEASE do not change out the fluid on the transmission. It is a closed case and if you change out the fluid before 60,000 miles, it WILL void the warranty. Some quick lube places may try to convince you to change out the transmission fluid. Do not do it as it will hurt you in the long run.
The way the transmission is designed, you should be able to go to around 110,000 miles before you have to have the fluid replaced.
If you do not have the CVT transmission, check with our service department before having your fluids replaced. They will let you know the factory recommendations.
All my best,
Nick

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
Salespeople are the most unreliable for this information. Refer to your owners manual and directly from subaru itself, not the salesman.

Subaru Warranty information page
Not sure what the comment is intended to convey.

Is that link not posted on-line by a car sales operation, and the information not directly from Subaru?

This is an unofficial independent website and is not authorized, approved, or supported by Subaru or any dealer. Contact your local dealer and mechanic for any mechanical or technical questions.
See also "who we are"

I have a lot of respect for the cars101 site, and I do very much appreciate what it takes to keep it going, but I don't necessarily consider it to be 100% reliable, i.e. always complete, up-to-date and/or accurate; it itself doesn't seem to claim to be, based on it's own stated waiver. But do I refer to it? For sure.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
They are the #1 reference that most sooby nuts use for information so I would trust them 100%.

The final word is the owners manual, which I am sure everyone reads .....

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I can say that I've looked at the cars 101 site maybe twice and both times it was full of errors. I wouldn't consider it a #1 reference for anyone but your self nipper.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,113 Posts
this is the first I've heard of cars101 being full of errors. It is sometime difficult to navigate around there so, maybe there's some conflicting or missing info?

How would someone know if ANY site was 100% accurate? I think it's a good resource/data point. Doesn't mean if, for some very important issue, I would rely on ANY single source.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
If I understand the original post, the salesperson was conveying information to a client that has already bought a car. There's nothing to gain from sending that information, in writing, to the client, in terms of closing a sale. Indeed, if it's incorrect, it could sour what might have been a good, or at least neutral, relationship.

At this stage, however, the information is still "second hand" based on the "I just found out . . ." without any specific reference, such as a SOA TSB or letter. This might take some time.

If the information is indeed just out, it might take some time for it to appear on the cars101 site. It's not an official Subaru site, and they would first have to receive the information officially from SOA and then write it up for the site.

I wouldn't be critical of the messenger (salesperson). For the time being, I would consider it a valuable "heads up" that should be accepted with an intent to verify, which, if I had a CVT, I would just follow up with the salesperson.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My salesman (Nick Smith) is top notch and I have purchased 2 Outbacks from Nate Wade Subaru in Salt Lake City.

There is no benefit of him sending me the information unsolicited other than he is one of the those people who really does care about his business and customers. I have never had such great follow up from a dealership. He's just saying if you go 3rd party and they suggest a CVT fluid change prior to 60k, your warranty is voided. On top of it, he is stating Im good to around 100k to have changed. Im pretty anal about service on vehicles and stick to manufactures recommendations (besides the 3000 mile oil change--I generally go 5000 w/synthetic)

If my sales guy is wrong, I have it writing. :)

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
I wonder if the salesman was answering a question from another customer and accidentally hit the "Reply All" or put the wrong address in. It does seam out of the blue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if the salesman was answering a question from another customer and accidentally hit the "Reply All" or put the wrong address in. It does seam out of the blue.
Sorry to rain your parade but your off base. I do get generic emails from the eweber (marketing blasts) but I talked to my sales person about this one directly. I was on a BCC---yes I was but the heading was "PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE A CVT TRANSMISSION"--it was an email to many. These types of updates/information is what sets a the average car dealership vs. one that is really good about service, customer service, and follow up.

Whens the last time you heard from your sales person? Does he/she follow up, ask for referals, send manufacture updates? Invite you to open houses to get free oil changes? Mine does I would sure hope others would.

If you think its off base or a mistake, call Nick Smith at Nate Wade Subaru in SLC and ask him yourself. [email protected]

Unless your not in sales, some dont understand follow-up, communication, and good customer service. Not every car salesman is a "used car salesman". Im in sales and my customers keep coming back---probably the same reason I bought 2 Outbacks from in the past 2 years from the same dealership.....and we are working on a 3rd---Crosstrek.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If the subaru licensed dealer shop services the CVT prior to 60K you are not impacting your warranty. If you have the crusty guy at the corner garage do something to the CVT yes your warranty is kaput

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
50 Posts
To 2013OB, this sounds like great news as I own a 2013 OB with the CVT. Did your dealer provide you with a link, reference or Subaru memo showing the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty? And if not could you please ask him for the 'official' Subaru reference next time you have contact with him?

He sounds like a great salesperson, and I would love a printed reference to place in my owners manual.

Thanks for getting those of in Subaruoutback.org this information.
Regards, Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was also told this about the 100k duty cycle for the CVT transmission fluid on 2013 Outback by the parts department where I bought my Subaru. I was looking into preventive maintenance via early cvt fluid change and i was warned not to do it and wait the 10 years/100K.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i assume the 100K would not hold if you pull a trailer and then a change of CVT is supposed to be done at about 27K? is that other people's understanding?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I tow have a 2010 and Don't intend to be the first guy the shop techs learn to change CVT fluid LOL. There is towing too heavy and there is towing - one can tell what sort of abuse you put your car through especially towing when getting it serviced.

No I've never seen a case or heard of one where towing has invalidated or even damaged a vehicle when your doing it properly and within proper limits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It appears that many owners of CVT have lingering thoughts of durability and longevity in the back of their minds. What is the cost of a CVT transmission rebuild or replacement?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Never heard of a rebuild yet. $8k has been thrown around as a replacement cost.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium; CVT; Twilight Blue Metallic
29 Posts
i assume the 100K would not hold if you pull a trailer and then a change of CVT is supposed to be done at about 27K? is that other people's understanding?
My warranty and maintenance booklet calls for an inspection of the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles. However, it calls for replacement every 24,855 miles (40,000 km) if the vehicle is "frequently operated under severe driving conditions."

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think the salesman's point is not about changing the fluid as such, but about doing it at a shop that is not an authorized Subaru dealer / repair shop. There are two issues with servicing newer automatic transmissions, and Subaru's CVT is not an exception:

1) Many new transmission require very specific fluid / oil. Only fluids / oils tested and approved by the original manufacturer may work in your particular transmission. CVT transmissions are especially sensitive to the fluid specifications. Using a wrong fluid, even if "on paper" it appears as a good choice and in some aspects may exceed manufacturer's requirements is no guarantee that it won't ruin your transmission.

2) Many newer transmissions are "sealed" and the fluid can not be replaced without special (sometimes proprietary) "flushing" equipment. Most oil change locations don't have the equipment nor the know-how to do it properly. If they attempt to change the fluid you will end up with a mix of old and new oil, and even worse, the two oils may not be compatible with each other.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts