Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up our new 2013 outback and noticed the Nav system has Divx, cursory view is it allows video playback but would love a detailed explanation of what this is and how it can be used. How do i get the most out of it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did your dealer provide you w/ the "2013 Legacy/Outback Navigation System" Owner's Manual? If not, I suggest you give them a call as it's a quite extensive 338-page book. DivX is on pg. 249 and appears to be only supported through USB memory (i.e. not on discs). Additionally, you have to register the radio/nav unit through the "device setup menu". I haven't toyed around w/ this yet but maybe this will help get you started. -- Matt

·
Registered
175 Posts
Divx is a video codec (compressor/decompressor) that is widely used to stream highly compressed video over devices of various bandwidths. I assume you could stream Divx compressed video off a USB drive in this case. I'm a video guy and my Kenwood can do this too but I don't find it terribly useful.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Divx is a video codec (compressor/decompressor) that is widely used to stream highly compressed video over devices of various bandwidths. I assume you could stream Divx compressed video off a USB drive in this case. I'm a video guy and my Kenwood can do this too but I don't find it terribly useful.
Another issue is that DivX is starting to fall by the wayside. The video is really just MPEG-4 in some form, just not stored in an MP4 file (what MPEG-4 says it should be stored in). So something that can play an MP4, like smartphones, Zunes, iPods, etc... may not be able to play DivX, even though the video/audio is exactly the same, just stored differently.

End result is that a lot of people just use MP4 files that work in more places, and have the exact same audio/video quality.

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
HDSkullfire2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing