Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that my driver's side mirror is distorted--towards the inside of the mirror, approaching cars look horizontally elongated.

Initially, I thought it may be just my eyes, but I found two similar threads on an earlier generation of Outback and a Forester.

Has anyone noticed a similar distortion? My 2011 didn't have this problem, so maybe it's just my 2013.

If I need a replacement, do I need to replace the entire side mirror unit or will a new mirror glass suffice?

Thank you.

·
Registered
19,364 Posts
If I need a replacement, do I need to replace the entire side mirror unit or will a new mirror glass suffice?
The mirror glass can be changed, but can be tricky.

However, as your car is new, it should be covered by the full warranty. Take it back to the dealer.

There are probably specifications for the amount of distortion that's allowable on the driver side. If necessary, when at the dealer, compare to other 2013s on the lot and in the showroom.

Dealer would probably replace the whole side mirror unit rather than try to remove and install just the glass itself.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My mirror is the same way and it wasn't that way in our Legacy. Let us know if you get it changed out for one thats not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mirror is the same way and it wasn't that way in our Legacy. Let us know if you get it changed out for one thats not.
Just came back from a local dealership, where I did not purchase this Outback (I bought it from a dealership 100 miles away.)

The first service rep. told me that he didn't see any distortion whatsoever and asked me to come back later in the afternoon if I wanted to speak to a service manager. Because I don't have time at all, I asked if I can have another service rep. take a look at it. The second rep, to my relief, agreed with me that there's distortion of distant objects reflected upon the bottom right corner of the mirror. After his confirmation, the first rep. ordered a new one from Subaru.

I will report back once the new one is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts