Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my car on Saturday when suddenly I noticed a strange noise. When I traced the sound it led me to the engine compartment. The engine was shut off, and the keys were out of the ignition mind you.

I tried starting it for a few seconds and shutting it off, when I did that the sound didn't restart again for another minute or so.

I decided to ignore it for the time being so I could finish washing my car and the noise lasted about 20 minutes before stopping all together.

I've never noticed this before, and it hasn't happened since - any ideas?

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
The evaporative emissions control system runs a system integrity test a few hours after the car has been stopped. This was introduced on the Forester in 2010 or 2011, and on the Legacys and Outbacks more recently.

There are a number of posts here about this delayed noise. As I recall, most refer to the noise coming more from the back of the car, and being noticed with the car in a garage where it's relatively quiet.

Perhaps with the car being washed outside, the noise others heard was drowned out, and your focus was in the engine compartment.

Others have indicated that this test is mentioned in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. The noise was definitely coming from the engine compartment. The noise was was a lot quieter until I popped the hood and it then got a lot louder once opened. As I moved my ear around I noticed it was the loudest near the intake manifold area. I pointed to it in the video where I heard it the loudest.

I read other posts about what you are describing too, but I thought his was supposed to be 4-5 hours after driving? The car was in the garage and I pulled it out into the driveway to wash it. The previous long drive to the washing was about 30-45 minutes prior, not 4-5 hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts