Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am working on budgeting for a 2013 outback. I love what they have done with it and my legacy gt sedan is drinking us out of house and home ( premium gas's and ~16mpg) as well it doesn't really fit us anymore with a todler and thoughts at adding another. I am really disappointed that SOA isn't offering the special appearance package and eyesight together (confirmed from a email to SOA).

So my question to you all, what made you pick between them? I am a tech person so love having all the gizmos in both offerings, but just can't decide.

Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
I ordered the 13 Limited for one reason, Eye Sight. I think this is the most useful function for my application out there given what other car companies charge. However to get the Eye Sight system you have to order the Limited and that means you get Nav and Moon Roof whether you want them or not.
I am very satisfied with my decision given the safety impact Eye Sight provides and I am sure having the Nav will be useful too. The HK sound system with Sat is also very nice (given my hearing).
Just a data point I am sure others will have input on SAP...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I chose the SAP because of the keyless system and push button start. Have had a similar system for over 6 years in various vehicles and it would be difficult to have to go back to digging keys out of my pocket, especially when in the snow with gloves on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I chose SAP over ES mostly because of how the vehicle looks. I love the saddle brown leather and other interior fixtures of the SAP. And like mentioned above, I'm coming from a vehicle with push button ignition and keyless entry and it would be hard going back to the old way of doing things.

I'm sure EyeSight technology will be standard on all vehicle some years from now but in general it's not something I feel I need at the moment. And I'm into technology too, but it just doesn't interest me too much. I'm more interested in what I consider a better looking car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Eyesight all the way. Compare the adaptive cruise control to keyless start. It takes a few seconds to start the car but I drive with the adaptive cruise control all the time! Which feature is really more convenient? Just depends on what you want but I see far more value in eyesight and I'm not a fan of brown leather but I do like the SAP exterior touches.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Eyesight all the way. Compare the adaptive cruise control to keyless start. It takes a few seconds to start the car but I drive with the adaptive cruise control all the time! Which feature is really more convenient? Just depends on what you want but I see far more value in eyesight and I'm not a fan of brown leather but I do like the SAP exterior touches.

me too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I gave serious consideration to both and chose ES over SAP because functional preferences were my highest priorities. Safety was primary, convenience secondary. So, I really put the highest value on something I hope not to use. At the time of purchase, I undervalued the adaptive cruise control--it changes the highway experience.

By passing up the SAP, I gave up some safety (mirror signals), convenience (keyless start), appeal (color choices), and practicality (I have a hunch the SAP features will marginally hold resale value better than ES, but I also put a high value on ES).

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
320 Posts
;< We shouldn't have to choose between the two. Keyless entry and start along with the rest of the special appearance package should be compatible with the EyeSight system. I like both so much.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Function all the way here and we didn't like the SAP color options. We might have thought differently if SAP models in stock were different color.

With 500ish miles of adaptive cruise and an incident where the car put on the brakes a few milliseconds before I did I can't imagine choosing vanity over function. The cruise keeps engine revs lower in metro driving than it will without unless you shift manually.

If you keep your cars for a while you must try the adaptive cruise. Then ask yourself if you want to pay more for a color that will be dated in a few years or a feature that makes things nice every day.

BTW: Subaru sells two Subaru branded remote start products from the accessory catalog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Function all the way here and we didn't like the SAP color options. We might have thought differently if SAP models in stock were different color.

With 500ish miles of adaptive cruise and an incident where the car put on the brakes a few milliseconds before I did I can't imagine choosing vanity over function. The cruise keeps engine revs lower in metro driving than it will without unless you shift manually.

If you keep your cars for a while you must try the adaptive cruise. Then ask yourself if you want to pay more for a color that will be dated in a few years or a feature that makes things nice every day.

BTW: Subaru sells two Subaru branded remote start products from the accessory catalog.
I also wanted my Outback to be unique looking. I've never seen one in Brown on the street. I won't deny the usefulness of ES, especially lane departure (for those who are chronic text messagers), but I've done just fine without that technology my entire life. Pretty sure I can manage without it now :) That was part of my justification for forgoing that package. If I were getting this car for my daughter or something, I'd certainly choose safety features over looks, no question.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

Same here. I also wasn't sure if I liked the saddle brown seats and exterior colors available on SAP. I was worried that a few years down the road when the newness wears off it might have been one of those "what the he11 was I thinking" decisions. I also need a remote start with decent range. I can't believe they didn't use a remote start in the SAP at least as good as the non-SAP.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I also wanted my Outback to be unique looking. I've never seen one in Brown on the street. I won't deny the usefulness of ES, especially lane departure (for those who are chronic text messagers), but I've done just fine without that technology my entire life. Pretty sure I can manage without it now :) That was part of my justification for forgoing that package. If I were getting this car for my daughter or something, I'd certainly choose safety features over looks, no question.
Please get my humor or gentle ribbing, but I'm thinking this means you haven't tried the adaptive cruise control!

Again, Subaru gives you two options for remote start, and there is a big world full of options to make your car look unique. I confess I would not be saying this about adaptive cruise control if I didn't have the experience of using it during the work day and didn't see it increase my fuel economy without playing with paddles or looking at tach all day.

If you're budgeting now keep in mind the SAP colors are supposed to change, or at least that's what my dealer said.

:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Picked up my eyesight equipped car yesterday ahead of schedule. Gotta say, I'd pay for the adaptive cruise all over again. When you're following a semi truck through construction on a dark, windy section of Montana interstate, it's worth its weight in gold!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make here. All the posts previous to this one were refering to keyless start (a feature on the SAP) not remote start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SAP primarily for appearance, although, the signal indicators on the mirrors was part of my safety consideration. The white pearl also figures into safety. Here in the MD, VA, D.C. area being visible is extremely important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sap

I bought the 2013 3.6R Outback with SAP. I choice the SAP over the ES because of the brown leather, mirror signals (rush hour traffic in LA), keyless entry, and it seems like the SAP will likely keep it's resale value a little better than the ES. Reasons not in favor of the ES is uncertainty with the reliability of a first gen system and did not feel that I would use some of the key features of the system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Please get my humor or gentle ribbing, but I'm thinking this means you haven't tried the adaptive cruise control!

Again, Subaru gives you two options for remote start, and there is a big world full of options to make your car look unique. I confess I would not be saying this about adaptive cruise control if I didn't have the experience of using it during the work day and didn't see it increase my fuel economy without playing with paddles or looking at tach all day.

If you're budgeting now keep in mind the SAP colors are supposed to change, or at least that's what my dealer said.

I admit I've never used adaptive cruise control, but it's a feature that I don't think I would use all that much. My daily commute is 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, of which I never use cruise control. Besides, the best adaptive cruise control is your right foot ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I admit I've never used adaptive cruise control, but it's a feature that I don't think I would use all that much. My daily commute is 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, of which I never use cruise control. Besides, the best adaptive cruise control is your right foot ;)
Assuming CVT, I think that means you haven't used it or tried it. You can get the revs lower with the paddle shifters but the adaptive feature makes it smooth and easy all the time.

I confess the adaptive will put the brakes on when you might go faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Subaru's version of adaptive cruise control where the car stops is a game changer. It's changing the way I drive. I live in Los Angeles and the stress of stop and go traffic is way down with adaptive cruise control. Even when there is traffic, it's almost like driving with cruise control on an open highway.

It takes awhile to get to that point. It changed for me when my focus shifted from brake lights to watching the general flow of traffic up ahead instead. I actually had to focus on ignoring the brake lights, making me more aware of the speed of deceleration of the car ahead of me. I also had to get used to how the adaptive cruise control slows down because I generally slow down a little soon and slower when the cruise control is off. I really appreciate adaptive cruise control when behind a driver who likes to tap on his brakes a lot.

I'm just as attentive to my driving as before, but focus on other aspects of driving. I'm getting more comfortable staying more aware to what's going on behind me. I fine tune adaptive cruise control's top speed based on the flow of traffic rather than what speed I wish I could go. That way my car doesn't accelerate more than necessary in stop and go traffic. I notice I'm more physically comfortable because that I can shift around in my car seat without having to keep my foot in a fixed position.

I even think I'm still not getting everything out of this system and that there are undiscovered benefits I haven't figured out yet. I'm still very conservative in using it. I keep it on the most distance setting still. I'm sure I could stop the car in time if I sensed it wasn't working because I've used it long enough now that I intuitively know when it should start breaking. When first got the car I would hover my foot over the brake.

The other aspects of Eyesight are just ok. I am a attentive driver, so I don't often drift out of my lane or accelerate into stopped objects.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw this at the dealer while waiting for my oil change and loved it

Now to try to talk the finance officer into it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
20 Participants
pgh
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing