Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the factory hitch accepts a 2" standard receiver? I called the dealership up and they told me they don't know what class or size it accepts.

They want $660 to install it which seems a little steep to me. However on the other hand I'm not sure I want to go aftermarket because I like how the OEM receiver goes through the rear bumper cover not under it. Can I get this done cheaper somewhere else?

I just wanted it for occasional towing of a 10x12 flat trailer. Nothing real heavy, just trips to the recycle center or if I need to bring something home that doesn't fit in the back of the outback.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Does anyone know if the factory hitch accepts a 2" standard receiver? I called the dealership up and they told me they don't know what class or size it accepts.

They want $660 to install it which seems a little steep to me. However on the other hand I'm not sure I want to go aftermarket because I like how the OEM receiver goes through the rear bumper cover not under it. Can I get this done cheaper somewhere else?

I just wanted it for occasional towing of a 10x12 flat trailer. Nothing real heavy, just trips to the recycle center or if I need to bring something home that doesn't fit in the back of the outback.

Thoughts?
All subaru paper work lists it as 1 1/4 receiver.
Use search there is extensive details on which brand hitches people have used - how well they install and the three methods you can use to install them.

Cost me $150 to install a 1 1/4 inch hitch on the legacy last month. Same hitch went on my OB with the 2inch receiver back in 2010.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
My dealer didn't know either and had to physically check. The Subaru hitch is 1 1/4" as others said. I went to Rack & Road the next day and had a 2" Curt hitch installed for $361 incl. tax. Looks nice, fits well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Budaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing