Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to take out the fog lamps on a 2013 from the bumper? I tried searching the manual and searched for an existing thread with no success. I want to add a vinyl tint on my fog lamps and feel that I would do a better job with it if it weren't on the car. Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the 2013 installation. I couldn't find the instructions for the 2013 OEM kit. It may be too early.

I do want to add that I just vinyl tinted the fogs yellow on my 2012 yesterday. I ordered from LaminX with a 10% coupon code. The result is a a nice yellow lens when off, but when on the color is more of a pale yellow. Adding yellow bulbs would fix this.

I've also read that the vinyl may burn and turn brown if there are hot spots. Only time will tell, and it may take forever. I did it mostly for aesthetics and I would only use the fog lights in, well... fog.

Good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do want to add that I just vinyl tinted the fogs yellow on my 2012 yesterday. I ordered from LaminX with a 10% coupon code. The result is a a nice yellow lens when off, but when on the color is more of a pale yellow. Adding yellow bulbs would fix this.
Yeah, I ordered mine from LaminX too, should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. I couldn't find a pre-cut one for the 2013 so I just ordered a sheet. Did you take off your lamp or install the vinyl on the car? Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah, I ordered mine from LaminX too, should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. I couldn't find a pre-cut one for the 2013 so I just ordered a sheet. Did you take off your lamp or install the vinyl on the car? Thanks
I left the lamps on the car since there's a ton of room once you pop the silver shrouds off. For the 2012, it's about as easy as it can get.

The angle from which I took this photo makes the lamp look off center...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left the lamps on the car since there's a ton of room once you pop the silver shrouds off. For the 2012, it's about as easy as it can get.

The angle from which I took this photo makes the lamp look off center...
Looks nice, can't wait to get mine done

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also you can get Yellow stain glass paint at hobby shops or craft shops and paint them yellow. Thats what I will do when I get time. Ive done tons of them this way for other people also. It doesnt burn or anything and you can get it as dark as you want. The light coming out is a nice yellow for fog too. Good info on this page I was looking for the same help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Nokya bulbs too. But some people like the "look" of the yellow lenses.
BTW your OB looks sharp. They didnt have any black ones when I was lookin and that looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
The fog lights with yellow Nokya bulbs look yellow as well because the yellow color reflects from the mirror housing. But some people prefer yellow lenses...
As far as the color of my car, I did not want a black color car (this is my first black); it was the third choice that the dealer had offered (as a dealer's trade) but my sales person wasn't fast enough to secure the white or green that I wanted. But, to be honest with you, I am getting used to the black and actually I like it now. It grows on you, I guess.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm bumping an old thread here.

I'm trying to put yellow tint film on my 2012 Outback fog lights.

I removed the silver fog light surrounds, and put the yellow tint film on there. However, it's full or "wrinkles" and "creases".

Are you guys just slapping the film on the lights and it's going on smoothly, or do you need to put some soap/water on the back of the vinyl and use a hairdryer to stretch the film to get it nice and flat?

I would prefer to do this with the fog lights still installed (and it looks like some of you were able to do a great job without removing them), but I will take them out if necessary.

Thanks
James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Mr_Pacman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing