Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought the Base model and it has very ugly covers where the fog lights would go. I have found kits on ebay for the factory fog lights and was wondering if this is all I need or if there is some kind of valance or other plastic molding that I would need to buy as well. Maybe I can just remove these covers until we decide to get the fog lights?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I suggest you look at a '13 with the lights so you can get an idea how they are mounted. I did what you are proposing in a Jeep once. Because the lights mounted to the bumper and the holes were already there I simply had to make a hole in the trim pieces so the light would shine through. It was not exactly the same as factory but it worked. Dremel's can work wonders.

I think your biggest problem has nothing to do with mounting. How are you going to wire it in the vehicle? My fogs have the switch right next to the head lights on the same lever. You might need to wire in a separate switch and wires into the car if you car doesn't have the switch. My Jeep had instructions on how to do all that so maybe your kit will too.

You might be the first person to do this on a '13 so keep us up to date. I'm sure your experiences will help someone else.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
‘I have found kits on ebay for the factory fog lights…’<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Do you mean they’re specifically built/designed for the 013 OB, or a universal kit for the factory location?<O:p</O:p
The problem with univ kits are brackets/mounts, in relation to aiming/adjustment (and secure/positive mounting, of course).<O:p</O:p
If you know you’re way around 12V relays, the switching shouldn’t be problem. Simplest would be batt direct wth Ign-Acc/On relay switching, but you won’t have HL integration (unless you wire it accordingly). Plenty blank covers on the dash to mount a switch.<O:p</O:p
For ref, the Prem/Ltd fog switches are stalk-mounted. The fog acc sw is dash mounted (at least in the 010-012). What’s the cost for oem fogs kit anyway?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
...I think that the new fogs on the '13 are just plain fugly...YUK! They should have left them the way they were. Kinda ruined the look of the front facia...:2cents:

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
...I think that the new fogs on the '13 are just plain fugly...YUK! They should have left them the way they were. Kinda ruined the look of the front facia...:2cents:
If by ruined you mean "made them look decent again" :p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
the 13 is pretty new and they changed the shape of the bumper in that area where the driving lights sit. I can't imagine any aftermarket parts that would fit the newly designed bumper unless all your speaking about is the actual light its self which case I'm sure you can sort out some way to mount it to the bumper.

If you don't have the wiring in place then you'll be doing your own wiring and switch. Not sure it would be worth it? I rarely use the driving lights generally only when on very narrow dark roads where added lighting to the shoulder of the road close to the car helps give you a reference point as to where the shoulder is. They are horrible for heavy rain or fog given the light gets reflected off the rain and fog and cuts down your night vision.

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
It should have the wiring harness for the fogs. Base or not, they all have the same wiring harnesses. Many people have put in fogs and had a base model.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
...lol...like art, I guess the look is totally subjective. It is a throw back to the early Legacy/OB...but missing the wire grill that went over it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you. I think that car looks great with the lights. Maybe a little more "high end/sleek"? I can see the rugged appeal of previous models though. Afterall subarus are meant to be used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 13 is pretty new and they changed the shape of the bumper in that area where the driving lights sit. I can't imagine any aftermarket parts that would fit the newly designed bumper unless all your speaking about is the actual light its self which case I'm sure you can sort out some way to mount it to the bumper.

If you don't have the wiring in place then you'll be doing your own wiring and switch. Not sure it would be worth it? I rarely use the driving lights generally only when on very narrow dark roads where added lighting to the shoulder of the road close to the car helps give you a reference point as to where the shoulder is. They are horrible for heavy rain or fog given the light gets reflected off the rain and fog and cuts down your night vision.
I don't know that they really would be used all that much either. The headlights are pretty good on these, so it would probably end up being more cosmetic.

I just think the bumper where the fogs should be is so ugly. Here is my wife's new car on left. Next to her 2010 on right that we were going to buy, but chose 2013 instead. I think the 2010 looks much better in this area, and want to fix it. Even if I just pull the covers and leave open holes I think that's better than those giant boxes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a dealer-installed fog lamp kit available for the base 2013 outback. This should include everything needed for the install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking more, they completely redesigned the fog lamps for the 2013. I don't like it. Looks like I will have to make my own mod to make it a little more attractive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about buying a 2012 bumper and swapping the whole thing? Maybe I could find someone who likes the look of the 2013 and just trade strait across.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Or... you could get the lights from the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i CVT Premium AWP
66 Posts
I have 2010 base and install Fog lights kit by myself. Factory kit contained all required parts no additilonal purshased were required.
Ask your dealer or Ebay seller what is included in the kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 2010 base and install Fog lights kit by myself. Factory kit contained all required parts no additilonal purshased were required.
Ask your dealer or Ebay seller what is included in the kit.

I found that this is not just a ligth issue for me any more. It is the complete bumper. Not even part of the bumper like an insert, the whole bumper is one piece, just part of it is painted. Looks like I either stick with what I have, or I buy a whole new 2010-2012 bumper.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You will need to replace the grille as well as the 2013 is not interchangeable with the 2012 unit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts