Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here with a week old 2013 Outback bought for the wife.

Wifegod would like a bracket for the front plate instead of just bolting it to the front bumper cover.
In searching I've found part number DCOLICBRKEZ5 but no mention if it fits 2013 models with the different grill??
Anyone know if it will fit our 2013?
Don't see them on E-bay, where is the cheapest place to buy one?

Thanks.:29:

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts

subaru makes a injection molded front license frame now. i just ordered one for my 13 as well. check out some of the online parts stores.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Subaru makes two types of front brackets, one is molded/shaped and one is a flat panel with rubber grommets on the back. I would venture to guess that the flat version will fit the 2013, but the molded will not. I would also venture to guess that an update is coming soon from Subaru on the molded.

When I bought my 2012 I purchased both types to compare, I returned the molded version b/c I thought it was ugly and held the license plate too high up on the bumper. The Flat version is much more paint-friendly with only a minimal amount of contact w/ the bumper painted surface, however I am not sure where the bumper holes are on the 2013 vs the 2012, so it may fit differently. Just my $0.02.

Here's the flat one:
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1243&osCsid=b7cddf403461142c6560a7c9df41a87c

Here's the 2010-2012 molded one:
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1279&osCsid=b7cddf403461142c6560a7c9df41a87c

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I got the flat one for my 2012 Impreza. When I traded it in, I transferred it over to my Outback and it fits just fine.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
22 Posts
Subaru makes two types of front brackets, one is molded/shaped and one is a flat panel with rubber grommets on the back. I would venture to guess that the flat version will fit the 2013, but the molded will not. I would also venture to guess that an update is coming soon from Subaru on the molded.

When I bought my 2012 I purchased both types to compare, I returned the molded version b/c I thought it was ugly and held the license plate too high up on the bumper. The Flat version is much more paint-friendly with only a minimal amount of contact w/ the bumper painted surface, however I am not sure where the bumper holes are on the 2013 vs the 2012, so it may fit differently. Just my $0.02.

Here's the flat one:
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1243&osCsid=b7cddf403461142c6560a7c9df41a87c

Here's the 2010-2012 molded one:
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1279&osCsid=b7cddf403461142c6560a7c9df41a87c
The molded bracket is now listed as 2010-2013. It seems many people prefer the molded over the flat panel bracket. I'm thinking I like the flat bracket better. It seems less bulky and doesn't have as much surface to surface potential to rub on the bumper. Thoughts on this? I haven't really found the best pictures yet for me to really compare before buying one over the other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can assure you that the molded bracket does not fit the 2013 Outback - I have the bracket sitting in my basement, as I had to replace it with the flat one (which does fit very nicely). If you would like I can take pictures of the flat one and post them up from a 2013.

-Michael

The molded bracket is now listed as 2010-2013. It seems many people prefer the molded over the flat panel bracket. I'm thinking I like the flat bracket better. It seems less bulky and doesn't have as much surface to surface potential to rub on the bumper. Thoughts on this? I haven't really found the best pictures yet for me to really compare before buying one over the other.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
22 Posts
Can I ask you all why you prefer the molded bracket over the flat metal bracket?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I just installed the molded one on my '13 yesterday, purchased from ebay made by C&C CarWorkX. Doesn't fit perfectly, but it looks pretty good.

subaru makes a injection molded front license frame now. i just ordered one for my 13 as well. check out some of the online parts stores.
Photos when you get it in please!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Can I ask you all why you prefer the molded bracket over the flat metal bracket?
I found the molded bracket to be bulky looking. A previous poster said it was ugly and I am just trying a nicer way to say that. It doesn't properly fit the 2013 anyway. My 2010 had the flat plate bracket and now my 2013 does. The flat plate bracket is ok but still why do you need all that. I think a much cleaner look is just the license plate directly attached to the bumper with a nice thin black metal license plate frame. This is the way it is on my Legacy but I still need to get rid of the dealer's black plastic advertising frame.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Snapped some photos of the flat mount on the '13 for future reference... I have a chrome frame on there as well.

-Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
Snapped some photos of the flat mount on the '13 for future reference... I have a chrome frame on there as well.

-Michael
Fits good it looks like. Did you order from Subaru Online Parts / Part Number: SOA342L120 ?

Also wondering if you used 100% stock parts that shipped with frame or if you had to purchase longer screws or spacers etc?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
Fits good it looks like. Did you order from Subaru Online Parts / Part Number: SOA342L120 ?

Also wondering if you used 100% stock parts that shipped with frame or if you had to purchase longer screws or spacers etc?
+1 on all of this. I think I like the thin frame better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I actually purchased the bracket from my local dealership, but it is the same one that Subaru Online Parts sells (https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/p...=1243&osCsid=b7cddf403461142c6560a7c9df41a87c)

The frame comes with the 2 screws to mount the bracket to the bumper, and my chrome frame included the 4 screws to mount the frame and plate to the bracket (including chrome cover caps). Ordered the frame off Amazon...

-Michael

·
Registered
26 Posts
Skene Designs - No Holes Front License Plate Mount

I purchased a Skene Design no holes front license plate mount. The bracket mounts under the bumper so that there are no holes in the front of the bumper. I paid $39.95 plus $5 shipping for a 2011 BMW 535i. The same "short bracket" is recomended for the 2013 Outback. A longer bracket is needed for the 2012 and earlier Outbacks of Gen 4. It looks like the price may have increased to $49.95 since I purchased mine.

Skene Design License Plate Mount

1 - 20 of 32 Posts