Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. The headlights on my 2013 Outback 3.6 leaves much to be desired. Anybody have a link to better headlights? Amazon seems to be drowning in options. Would like to know your favourite? ~cheers

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,842 Posts
what is wrong with OEM? I think my 14 legacy lights are pretty good with HID kit. 2010 OB 3.6R will be getting a restore in the spring and a HID kit to go with it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
I have to agree with YeuEmMaiMai. My headlights on my '11 OB are quite adequate for my needs and I spent quite a few years driving at night on unlit and low population roads with zero complaints. If there are any issues it's the frequent burning out that exists, at least on the '10-'12 MY, although I personally haven't experienced many replacements in my 9 years of ownership.

As for aftermarket options, be wary of cheap replacements and seemingly wild claims of illumination. I recall that the Sylvania Silver Stars have a terrible reputation for life span, generally 6 months or so, unless that has been improved. And watch out for the illumination patterns of many of the aftermarket. You'll be blinding everyone with too many of those bulbs.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
544 Posts
With the Ralleye Off-Roads, there's pretty good illumination down the road, and last me 3-4 years. I'm down to my last set, and unfortunately, they may be out of production. I've now tried several LED bulbs, and they're truthfully not worth a hill of beans as far as illuminating down the road. - Haven't tried HIDs, but supposedly they work very well in our projectors.

Most of the aftermarket housings or assemblies on eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress seem to be garbage, based on every review and comment I've read. They just look nice with their Angel Eyes, or Halos, or Neon Tubes, but don't actually function any better than the OEMs. - Actually, I've seen lots of complaints they're actually pretty bad at what they're supposed to do, light the road far enough to see at night. If you get model that does, it appears that most likely they won't last, as the outer lens tends to be much softer material and pits, and clouds faster than an OEM housing would.

I'd polish up the lens on what you have, if they're starting to cloud up, and then keep them waxed or coated with ceramic/poly of some sort, and put in a good bulb. - Keep in mind the Silver-Stars and the like are whiter, but not actually brighter, not to mention the extremely short bulb life. (I found that out with my prior vehicle, where they didn't last a full year, but that vehicle had easier to swap bulbs than the Outback).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got BEAMTECH LEDs for my 2013. They are way brighter than stock but also way more directional. Way less spread of light across the road. I counter that by using the fog lights all the time. I was replacing headlight bulbs much too often for my liking (3 sets in 3 years) and have yet to need to do anything with the LED ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Ralleye Off-Roads, there's pretty good illumination down the road, and last me 3-4 years. I'm down to my last set, and unfortunately, they may be out of production. I've now tried several LED bulbs, and they're truthfully not worth a hill of beans as far as illuminating down the road. - Haven't tried HIDs, but supposedly they work very well in our projectors.

Most of the aftermarket housings or assemblies on eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress seem to be garbage, based on every review and comment I've read. They just look nice with their Angel Eyes, or Halos, or Neon Tubes, but don't actually function any better than the OEMs. - Actually, I've seen lots of complaints they're actually pretty bad at what they're supposed to do, light the road far enough to see at night. If you get model that does, it appears that most likely they won't last, as the outer lens tends to be much softer material and pits, and clouds faster than an OEM housing would.

I'd polish up the lens on what you have, if they're starting to cloud up, and then keep them waxed or coated with ceramic/poly of some sort, and put in a good bulb. - Keep in mind the Silver-Stars and the like are whiter, but not actually brighter, not to mention the extremely short bulb life. (I found that out with my prior vehicle, where they didn't last a full year, but that vehicle had easier to swap bulbs than the Outback).
Good info, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts