Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so for the non-NAV headunit (the one with the 4.3" color screen) is the model in the 2013 the same electronically as the 2012? Visually, the only difference appears to be the 2013 has "Harmon/Kardon" printed on it, but everything else appears identical.

I ask because I was sitting in a 2013 Outback limited this morning while my car was getting the TSB for the auto headlights done, and when you put the car into reverse, the rear camera displays in the head unit (used to be in the mirror for non-NAV cars) - I am wondering if that means the H/K head unit in the 2012 could also take a video input from a rear view camera.... and if the hear unit in the Outback limited without navigation is the same as the Legacy limited without navigation...

Does anyone know? I haven't seen the back of the 2013 stereo, nor do I have the part numbers for the 2013 head units to see if they are the same as for 2012...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I looked (though not very hard) when I swapped to an aftermarket but if I had to guess they only have the wiring going up to the mirror and not behind the radio. I would think that if they wanted they would have done it starting with the MY12 units.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What is the tsb for the auto headlights? Does it fix the crazy lack of delay when you go under an overpass? Sorry to ask this question in your stereo thread, but I am not aware of this tsb. Will it work on 2011's?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headlights TSB is #12-136-12 - it fixes the issue of the photocells constantly frying which some cars have - essentially, a new harness of some sort is spliced into the power lead for the photocell, and the photocell itself is also replaced. For the delay, the dealer can configure that (there are 4 different levels - 2 are more sensitive than the "normal" setting, and one is less sensitive - you need the Subaru select monitor to configure it, though (for the 2013 in the limited, it looks like you can configure it from one of the menus in the gauge cluster, though)) - the TSB applied up into some point in the MY13 run (they don't give a VIN for when the fix was incorporated - you need to look at the harness, specifically the color of the power lead going to the photocell)

I was wondering about them doing it for 2012 as well, but in the wiring diagram for the 2012, they still had different harnesses for with and without NAV (in terms of the rear view camera) which had it go up to the mirror - could be the unit was capable, but they didn't consolidate the wiring harness until the 2012 model year... who knows... I don't have the service manual for the 2013, so I am not sure what's different.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If Fuji-ten (or who-ever it is) makes the 2013 unit and Kenwood made the 2012 unit, where, exactly does the H&K name roll into this? Or did they make the Navi portion only?

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
If Fuji-ten (or who-ever it is) makes the 2013 unit and Kenwood made the 2012 unit, where, exactly does the H&K name roll into this? Or did they make the Navi portion only?
Not sure who did what. I think Fuji-Ten is responsible for NAV and Bluetooth and H&K for radio/audio/CD - must be some kind of a weird combination of those two. Not sure though....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I know the manufacturer changed for the navigation head unit, but I don't know about the regular, non-NAV H/K unit - that's this stereo for the 2012:

Which looks like the same thing for the 2013:

Here's a picture which shows the rear camera displayed on this stereo:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another quick question - can someone who has a 2013 Outback limited with the non-NAV H/K radio post what model it is (the number in the lower right hand corner)

For my 2012, it's PE627UI

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this a factory option? I must be missing something because I was under the assumption that the rear view camera only displayed on the rear view mirror and was only available with the sunroof package. If not, I would love to get this wired in my 2013!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I want a way to see the camera without engaging reverse (for morons who pull-up too close at intersections), how would I do that?

Vince

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this a factory option? I must be missing something because I was under the assumption that the rear view camera only displayed on the rear view mirror and was only available with the sunroof package. If not, I would love to get this wired in my 2013!
The sales guy at the dealer said it was that way on all '13 Outback limiteds

·
Registered
832 Posts
I want a way to see the camera without engaging reverse (for morons who pull-up too close at intersections), how would I do that?

Vince

It's not hard, but it will take a little wiring if you want to keep it working both ways. If you don't care to flip the switch everytime you put the car in reverse then all you've got to do is send 12v+ to the signal wire at the mirror that triggers the monitor to power up. The Kenwood that I installed in my OB can do that, though there isn't any real benefit to it, unless you have a bunch of stuff in the hatch and can't see behind you. There used to be a post on here where someone added a switch so that they could flip it on without putting the car into reverse. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish! Bought a '13 Limited a couple months ago and it's definitely not on there. Short of that single snapshot (from cars101), I've only seen the display on the rear view mirror - assuming you have the moonroof package. It gives me hope that it CAN be done though! Just need to figure out how. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish! Bought a '13 Limited a couple months ago and it's definitely not on there. Short of that single snapshot (from cars101), I've only seen the display on the rear view mirror - assuming you have the moonroof package. It gives me hope that it CAN be done though! Just need to figure out how. :)
Do you know the model number for your stereo (on the lower right corner of the front)? I wonder if this was something they switched part way into the year or something like that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know this was a new feature for 2013. Mine has always displayed inside the 4.3" HK radio since brand new, I didnt think anything of it because I figured all Gen 4s did the same for this type of stereo. I thought it only displayed in the mirror if you didn't get the upgraded HK stereo?

Yes, I believe backup camera was only available with the sunroof (oddly enough).

After work I can look for a model number and report back if you like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you know the model number for your stereo (on the lower right corner of the front)? I wonder if this was something they switched part way into the year or something like that?
I'll have to look it up when I get home. It's the wife's daily driver and having a backup camera will definitely help when parallel parking. Smaller cars simply disappear in the rear window.

Assuming it's the same head unit, it'd be amazing if there's already a harness wired to the tailgate (I can only dream)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting, I didn't know this was a new feature for 2013. Mine has always displayed inside the 4.3" HK radio since brand new, I didnt think anything of it because I figured all Gen 4s did the same for this type of stereo. I thought it only displayed in the mirror if you didn't get the upgraded HK stereo?

Yes, I believe backup camera was only available with the sunroof (oddly enough).

After work I can look for a model number and report back if you like.
If your stereo does display the rear camera, that would be great (interesting to compare to the '13 where it does not)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The model number on mine says PE658U1.

Sorry it's dark, I took it with my phone in the garage.

This one DOES show the backup camera in the screen.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Vince
The screen uses the rear backup lights to determine when to display the camera, you can trick the system with a switch to turn the camera on demand.

See if this document helps - scroll down to page 5.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-4-2010-present/15278d1261360620-subaru-navigation-system-tips-tricks-lockout-override-2010-subaru-outback-legacy-navigation-hack.pdf

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
14 Participants
tystik4056
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing