Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, while searching the net I found that Subaru updated its Airbag controller to deploy the Side airbags in the event of this kind of collision. However it was on models built after August 2012.. I took delivery of mine on Sept 1st so I m guessing I wasn't one of the luck ones, do you think this will still be available through TSB or similar?

IIHS Small Overlap Test

·
Registered
150 Posts
Guys, while searching the net I found that Subaru updated its Airbag controller to deploy the Side airbags in the event of this kind of collision. However it was on models built after August 2012.. I took delivery of mine on Sept 1st so I m guessing I wasn't one of the luck ones, do you think this will still be available through TSB or similar?

IIHS Small Overlap Test
Hey Subyroo. You can check the build date on you drivers side door sticker. I emailed Subaru USA, and the response was that there will not be a retrofit on any cars with an 8/12 or earlier build date.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Subyroo. You can check the build date on you drivers side door sticker. I emailed Subaru USA, and the response was that there will not be a retrofit on any cars with an 8/12 or earlier build date.
I have the other car today so I can't check it otherwise I would.. But ether way that is a load of Bull if so.. There is no reason why someone who was eager enough to buy that early should be shunned by SOA. I wouldn't by any means accept that as a solution..

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it was just a software upgrade I would agree, but airbag systems are complicated (there are sensors at every bag location) and the main control module may not be rigged to receive updates. I suggest you contact them yourself and see if you can get further than i did.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
I have the other car today so I can't check it otherwise I would.. But ether way that is a load of Bull if so.. There is no reason why someone who was eager enough to buy that early should be shunned by SOA. I wouldn't by any means accept that as a solution..
You can't expect manufacturers to retrofit safety equipment every time there's an upgrade or some sort of change. Way too cost prohibitive and even a potential liability should something not work as intended.

:28:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was just a software upgrade I would agree, but airbag systems are complicated (there are sensors at every bag location) and the main control module may not be rigged to receive updates. I suggest you contact them yourself and see if you can get further than i did.
Indeed, I will see what results. If it is a module that has been Modified/updated then that's one thing. But a software/Firmware update shouldn't be that big of a deal. Guess we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts