Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change out the stock Outback grille for the sporty mesh grille from the Legacy. In 2013, both these models were facelifted, and at least to my eyeballs, the grilles are the same size and should fit interchangably. (2012 and earlier Legacies and Outbacks were not interchangable.)

So, my questions:

1. Has anybody done this?
2. Is it possible to purchase just the grille from a Subaru parts department?
3. Do they fit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
That DOES look good. You can definitely buy just the Legacy grille itself from a dealership, but it's about $180.

Looking at the exploded parts view, it appears the mounting bracket is identical for the Outback and Legacy, which again supports that they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Just a concern that the hood edge and bumper edge surrounding the grill would line up properly. It does look like it will, but looking for certainty.

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
166 Posts
VOICE OF EXPERIENCE HERE: Yes it "should" fit. The hoods are the same. The bumper grille surround is the same. I bought the grill in chrome from Subaru. I then painted it with plasti-dip. Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
VOICE OF EXPERIENCE HERE: Yes it "should" fit. The hoods are the same. The bumper grille surround is the same. I bought the grill in chrome from Subaru. I then painted it with plasti-dip. Cheers.
Thanks Chris!

After seeing what our bro in San Jose has done with his stock grill (on a previous post - his photo attached), I think I'l do very similar to his on my stock grill, using plasti-dip. They both look pretty equally bad-a$$, and would save me $170!

Also thinking of doing a black plasti-dip horizontal treatment of the rear deck underneath the lip below the window and stretching between the tail lights. It's a look I loved in the 1967 to 70s muscle cars, including Mustangs, Challengers, Barracudas... . It is a treatment also employed on the rear of current Mustangs.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, after some time with a measuring tape I can confirm that while the hood and top of the Legacy and Outback grille is the same size, the Legacy's grill tapers more toward the bottom - the bottom of the Legacy grille aperture is narrower than the Outback's. It could conceivably fit, but there would be gaps on both sides of the bottom of the grille. It worked for ChrisJ because he also transplanted the Legacy fascia.
:(

Too bad, so sad. Proceeding with plasti-dip option.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
It looks like ChrisJ also changed the front end bumper to the legacy front end. Is that correct?
Yes, Chris did change the bumper to a Legacy's.

I went and painted my grill black with PlastiDip spray. It looks pretty darn cool with the stock Outback grill this way, so made no attempt to switch to a Legacy grill.

The grill can be disassembled once removed. There are 16 screws and 10 clips holding a black backing grid to the silver painted pieces. In addition, there are 4 screws holding the two chrome pieces.

I disassembled the whole thing before painting, and it came out beautiful, and more professional looking than if I didn't disassemble. I left the chrome alone. It took about a half a spray can. Put it all back together and reinstalled it.

Switched the horns to a pair of Hellas at the same time, using the SubieMods bracket and harness. I got a can of liquid PlastiDip to dunk the relay in and make it waterproof before mounting it.

NOTE: Fumes from PlastiDip are NASTY - whether spray or in a can. Use in well ventilated area, and a filtered breathing mask is strongly suggested.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i OB Limited
174 Posts
J Del: Pics? You may just have me sold!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts