Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 Legacy vs. Outback in sand.

14K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  reddoak 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, and joined because I am very seriously considering a 2013 Legacy or Outback. I currently drive a Land Cruiser, but my daily commute has recently changed, and I need something that will do better than 14mpg on a good day. I have been a subaru fan since my first ride in an early 80's GL wagon with the old white wagon wheels, but have never owned one. I'm leaning toward the Legacy sedan because of looks, price, and handling. Has anyone had any experience on the beaches with the legacy sedan? I know the Outback is a capable beach vehicle given it's almost 9" of ground clearance, but I am a little concerned about the Legacy's 6" of clearance. We spend a lot of time on Corova Beach in the OBX, and my buddies with trucks wouldn't let me hear the end of it if they had to tow my subaru with their trucks if I was stuck.
Thanks in advance. Phil

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Never dealt with an OB (or a Legacy, for that matter) on the beach, but if you're worried about ground clearance (and I would be too), just go with the OB. How well does your Cruiser handle it right now (clearance-wise)? If I remember correctly, the 100 series Cruisers were somewhere around 7-8"? Most of my Cruiser experience has been with my dad's lifted FJ60 :-D

#3 ·
Depends on the type of sand.
Hard packed & slightly damp?
Soft sinking dry sand?

Any car can drive on the beach if the sand is firm enough.

If its soft at all the Legacy won't be going very far no matter how low you air down the tires.
For soft sand you need tires with sidewall & 10-15 psi pressure.
Low profile tires are destined to fail in the sand, entertaining to watch though.
New 2011 VW Touareg FAIL - YouTube

#4 ·
I agree - get the OB for its better clearance, and consider upgrading the wheels to a minus one size, and put some fatter rubber on them so you can air down at least a few psi.....

What model Cruiser do you have? I would kill for 14 mpg. My city mileage is 10 and I am lucky to see 13 on the highway. My truck is a '96 LX450 and it is far from stock....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

#5 ·
All depends on the sand. Rutted out dune road the legacy wont be happy.

Took my old legacy tbrough some tough spots. Never got stuck but found the limit to the clearance. Flat beach type stuff legacy will easily do it. Rutted dune type stuff the OB might even find it tough.

#6 ·
Sublime sailor: looks like a great time!
I've got a 100 series cruiser. Haven't had it on the beach yet, but It replaced an 80 series (1996) that handled well in the sand....despite its weight.

Let me pose another question: do you consider the outback an old man's car? I love them, but my wife and friends think I am crazy. Any thoughts?

#17 ·
Subaru is trying to become more mainstream and it's working. I'm seeing a lot more around the St. Louis area all the time.

#18 ·
for 2013 i'd recommend a forester over either a legacy or outback. the OB comes with the CVT, not the best trans for off-road/beach/sand use. The Forester comes with 5MT and/turbo.
Among other reasons, I'd suggest a Fozzy over an outback for that generation (i.e. newest) Subarus.

#19 ·
I'm very curious about your thoughts on this. Obviously your very experienced in building capable off road vehicles but here's where the question comes into play about the CVT. Nearly every manufacturer of All Terrain Vehicles now incorporates some sort of Constantly Variable Transmission and has been for many years. This ranges from 4-wheelers to snow mobiles and utility type vehicles such as the rangers and other variants. Even some tractors are utilizing this type of drive train. Is is Subaru's version that is lacking or is it just a general dislike for them as a whole?

#22 ·
subiesailor: I am a bit late on the "most livable" places on these shores but having lived East/West and now "deep" South, I think the best place to live (in my opinion) in North America is Vancouver, BC (and outside - it would be Singapore). Based on my own experience....

#23 ·
BC especially in the little warm pocket around Vancouver would be great!!! Oddly enough Anacortes WA has nearly identical weather pattern as SF only they see a little warmer temps in the summers and can get a little dusting of snow once in a while. Also great spot!

Out side North America I'm partial to Croatia. Fantastic people, great culture and they are not on the Euro yet ;-)

#26 ·
I would go with the outback hands down if you are driving in sand(beach) just for the ground clearance if nothing else. I had my 2011 outback down at carova nc on the beaches and I was amazed at how well it did, only thing I worried about was the weak suspension on some of the bumps and ruts. Aired the tires down to about 18psi. Also turn off the goofy auto cvt transmission put it in manual and turn off the traction control. Personally I don't think you would get far in auto or with traction control turned on. Just my opinion but I absolutely hate this transmission:28:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.