Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 4500 on my 2.5 SAP. Tonight wife went into garage to throw out recyclables and said she heard humming. I went out and found it was from my new outback. Noise was a buzzing humming sound from behind rear driver side wheel well. Car had been off for nearly 5+ hours. Was it fuel filter?

Other notes:
Car is nearly out of gas
Oil ight came on today after huge hill. I got out and checked it and it is near lower limit. Didn't come back on.

·
Registered
2013 Outback
23 Posts
It's normal for this cycle to take place 5 or 6 hours after the car has been turned off. It can run from 5 to 30 min. to run it's cycle. I think it's some kind of vacuum test on the fuel tank. It's something new for 2013 EPA stuff.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
When looking thru the owners manual of my 2012 Impreza something was mentioned about this in there similiar to what wildwilson said. Take a look in there and it should explain it. It is normal though.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
25 Posts
hi Chrix - it's what wildwilson and carlvr87 mentioned. "fuel evaporation leakage checking system...turning on 5 to 10 hours after engine is turned off"

It's on page 9 of the 13 OB manual.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
50 Posts
Thanks for this post! Almost exact same story as Chrix.
Wife went out to garage to put recycles out. Stated she heard a small engine running in the garage. Sure enough, the noise was coming from the rear driver side wheel well.
Glad to know that is normal.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Got about 4500 on my 2.5 SAP. Tonight wife went into garage to throw out recyclables and said she heard humming. I went out and found it was from my new outback. Noise was a buzzing humming sound from behind rear driver side wheel well. Car had been off for nearly 5+ hours. Was it fuel filter?

Other notes:
Car is nearly out of gas
Oil ight came on today after huge hill. I got out and checked it and it is near lower limit. Didn't come back on.
FYI- you need to check that oil more often!

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
Just noticed humming for the first time tonight at 9pm as taking out recyclables too. Car was turned off around 330pm.

G

·
Okay this is very strange and also reassuring. Believe it or not, I was taking out recyclables, entered my garage and noted a humming/engine running. I went nuts to isolate the sound and it kept leading me to the Outback! thanks for the info, I'm relieved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All I gotta say is THANK YOU for this forum. I just walked out into my garage and it sounded like someone left their vibrator running in my car. Freaked me OUT!

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
All I gotta say is THANK YOU for this forum. I just walked out into my garage and it sounded like someone left their vibrator running in my car. Freaked me OUT!
Wow, I'd be looking for the person who left the vibrator in there. :D

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Thank god for this forum...I just hit 13 months with my OB and have never heard this sound before...I thought something had been running since I shut it down around 1300 today.

:yodaddy: at the vibrator post!

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
What did we do before forums???

We have had our 2013 OB since August 2012. This morning was the first time my me or my wife heard this buzzing noise. Walked into the garage, and i hear the sound similar to a small electric motor.

Listening closely, I realize the sound is coming from the driver's side rear (under body behind wheel). I immediately assumed that the sound was coming from the fuel pump, but it did not make sense to me because the car was last driven roughly 9.5 hours ago.

Drove to work, but did not hear the sound when I arrived.

Glad I found this thread.

Our OB will be 2 years without a single problem.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
971 Posts
It's normal for this cycle to take place 5 or 6 hours after the car has been turned off. It can run from 5 to 30 min. to run it's cycle. I think it's some kind of vacuum test on the fuel tank. It's something new for 2013 EPA stuff.
What a ridiculous idea, and a waste of money. If I'm understanding this test/check correctly, it is intended to detect things like a loose or defective gas cap, or other sources of a poor seal on the fuel tank, in order to prevent evaporative losses (as a source of pollution). But on most/all cars, a lack of seal will trigger a CEL at some point, and most states' SMOG check processes also test this. So let's add a little vacuum pump to make sure that the bad seal is detected a bit quicker.....

The EPA bureaucrats will probably argue that the addition of the little vacuum pump adds just a little bit of cost to the car. Until the pump itself fails at some point, triggering a several-hundred-dollar repair job.....

This is what happens when a govt. agency with a one-dimensional focus, and no real checks and balances, runs amok. The cost-benefit analysis on this one would probably make for some hilarious reading!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this information. I went outside and heard this same noise. First I thought it was my rear driver side tire going flat. I listened for a while, then there was a soft pop at the end. No more noise after that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too will give my thanks! Ive been trying to track down this noise for weeks and found the same thing on my 2011 subaru forester. I was ready to take it to the dealership!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,475 Posts
The EPA bureaucrats will probably argue that the addition of the little vacuum pump adds just a little bit of cost to the car. Until the pump itself fails at some point, triggering a several-hundred-dollar repair job.....
All cars sold in USA have had Evap pump for many MANY years (at least since 2000) This is not a new thing.

Additionally, *ALL* Emissions equipment is covered by the "Federal Emissions Warrantee" found in your glovebox separate from the manufacturers warrantee. This Federal warrantee on my 2012 PZEV OB lasts for 15 years / 150K miles.

Here is a list of what is covered by "Federal Emissions Warrantee"
http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL32586.pdf

Notice that even the engine-computer falls under the "Federal Emissions Warrantee" because it is the heart of the emission-system for the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts