Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a brand new 2013 Limited with dark leather seats, and I am really enjoying it. This is the first car I have ever had with leather seats, and I am aware that leather can stretch and loosen over time. However, I have under 500 miles on the new car and in the driver seat, it looks like the leather is stretched and loose where my butt rests in the seat. Is this normal for leather seats? I am under 180lbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Same thing is happening to mine. I called the dealership right away and brought it up to them again at my first oil change. The service manager said "it's normal" which is crap because I have had leather in many vehicles and never seen this. I will be taking pics soon and sending them to SOA. I weigh about 185. Now my passenger seat, where the wife sits has no issues, and, she may weigh a little more than me, but I would never tell her that!

So no you are not alone, and I will try and update when I get a chance to contact SOA.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm in for more responses, I just brought home a new SAP with brown leather. It's absolutely gorgeous but I wonder how long before it starts to discolor, crack, rip or worse. I normally avoid leather because of the wear issues but the SAP combo was amazing.

Op as far as the wrinkling, I say it normal. My car has 172 miles on it right now, and I checked when my wife got home. Seats had a print on the bottom cushion. My wife is 130 lb +\- so I think they are designed to stretch like they do. I sat in the car and the seats were still subtle.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I had the 2003 limited with leather seat for about 100 000 miles. I weight about 220 lb and the seat were hardly stretched when I sold the car. I have an Audi with leather sets with about 40 000 miles on it and one cannot see that the seats are used at all.

Either they are putting crappy leather into the new Subarus or they leather is put in poorly!

You guys paid quite some money to have leather seats in the cars. Don't let the service people tell you this is normal, it is not!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I've had an '11 and now a '13 SAP and both got little stretch/wrinkle marks from my boney pelvis/butt on the drivers seat cushion towards the back. I'm 6'+ and about a buck-ninety. No problem in the passenger seat with my wife.

Just recently I've been playing around with my seat position after tweaking my back a bit in the yard. I pumped up the lumbar all the way and dropped the front on the seat cushion down for some relief and found my pelvis bones aren't the main pressure points anymore. That also puts me further back away from the steering wheel a little more where the back of my legs take some of the support load off my rear.

So far my back feels better, my driving position is more comfortable and the seat seems to have less stretching as a result. Don't know if I'll have to go back to the old position when I feel better. This is truly a YMMV. Anyway I vote for "it's normal".

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a 2011 Outback Limited with 16,000 miles on it and the leather in both driver and passenger seats was showing stretch marks. I have had leather seating in other vehicles before and they never showed the kind of wear I was experiencing with the Subaru even after 11 years and 90,000 miles. I attribute this to lower quality leather, softer cushioning which allows more stretch and improper design of seat stitching that would hold leather in place and keep leather from showing stretch marks.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
21 Posts
This is interesting. My 2012 Outback has 15K miles on it and the black leather is practically brand new on the front seats. I weight just under 200lbs. I wonder why some are experiencing this issue.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
For the record, leather will always be stronger then cloth regardless of who makes the seats.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
186 Posts
We had a 2011 with leather for 60k miles... I'm 6'4" and ~230. The leather stretched a little when it broke in, maybe the first 15-20k miles. Then it didn't change at all for the next 40k.

The foam used in the Subaru seats is not nearly as firm as what's in the Audi... which I believe may be where some of the difference in appearance comes from.

Also... comparing a Subaru interior to an Audi interior is not realistic. Audis have been rated several years as having the benchmark for interior quality. I would agree with those ratings. Subaru has never been close. The 4th-gen is light years beyond the older cars (which were GM-grade crapola), but it's still nowhere near the European competition.

Anyway... all that said, I have been pleased with the interior of the 4th-gen Outback. For a mid-level car, it's pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
246 Posts
I don't see the stretch mark on our 2011 Outback. My wife drives it daily (She is small, 115lbs). We do monthly trip to Dallas (800miles round trip) which I am the only driver. By the way, I am 220lbs and we have 22k miles on it now.

I had a 2011 Outback Limited with 16,000 miles on it and the leather in both driver and passenger seats was showing stretch marks. I have had leather seating in other vehicles before and they never showed the kind of wear I was experiencing with the Subaru even after 11 years and 90,000 miles. I attribute this to lower quality leather, softer cushioning which allows more stretch and improper design of seat stitching that would hold leather in place and keep leather from showing stretch marks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have cloth in my 13 premium, and I noticed around 500 miles my drivers seat has some extra material where your butt goes. Its like the fabric got stretched and never went back, now it looks baggy. 5000 miles now, still looks the same:(

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
How about those that are having issue post some pictures. I have no idea if mine has or has not stretched since I need something to compare them to.
My 16 year old BMW M3 has no stretched out seats yet with 90K miles but I am careful getting in and out on all my cars.
Maybe I just don't know what I am looking for...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a photo of the seat. Obviously, it is not terrible, but the seat is brand new with less than 500 miles of sitting on it. The passenger seat is not having this issue. My concern is that it continues to get worse.

I also am wondering if this may also be due to the wide range of seat adjustments that can be made to this seat with the power adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
My previous cars with leather were two diff VW's, a Gmc Canyon, and Olds Aurora. None new like this and none had this issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is mine with 3400 miles on it...
I am disappointed knowing that is what my seat is going to look like so soon. If that is your seat at 3400miles, what is 50k going to look like? Am I being unreasonable with my expectation of leather seats?
I am going to reach out to SOA as well. Keep us informed if SOA gives you any news.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts