Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find the compass view in the Nav to indicate the heading/direction. The only way to show a compass (with North needle highlighted) is to tab the screen while on route to a destination. Is there a default view on the dashboard/NAV system that shows a constant compass/heading?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Mine is showing compass direction right on top in the middle of the screen. Are you sure that yours is "activated" ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Em...it shows the compass when no route/destination entered...& shuts off the Compass in Navigation mode until you tap the screen. Hopefully a firmware update will bring up the compass under all conditions.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Em...it shows the compass when no route/destination entered...& shuts off the Compass in Navigation mode until you tap the screen. Hopefully a firmware update will bring up the compass under all conditions.
Yes, that is true. I was thinking to replace the rear view mirror to have the compass there but I was told it cannot be done with options that I have on my car. I have replaced rear view mirrors twice previously (on my earlier Subarus) with units that had compass integrated into it. It is a simple modification as all the wiring and plugs are already there, under the headliner..... - but on this model, it cannot be done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is that Subaru engineer doesn't want you to look at 2 compasses & try to figure out which one is correct. :) Also the programmer for the Nav is 'so confident' :rolleyes: that they turn the compass off when navigating, they want you to trust the Nav 100%!;)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Go with the three gauge cluster. You know you want too.

I recall the upper trim packaged 4runners had this way back in the day. Only they included a very useful angle indicator letting you know when your going to flip it. LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Go with the three gauge cluster. You know you want too.

I recall the upper trim packaged 4runners had this way back in the day. Only they included a very useful angle indicator letting you know when your going to flip it. LOL
Three gage cluster that you recommended earlier has quite a few negative reviews on that website. You can get the compass on your cell phone. I have one on my military specs Samsung, including altimeter, pedometer, etc. and I don't even have a data plan or an iPhone with such apps.....

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
That is odd, especially for those which already have the mirror with dimming and homelink. Last I checked the compas ran of the power povided to the mirror by the harness, should not be anything special.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
That is odd, especially for those which already have the mirror with dimming and homelink. Last I checked the compas ran of the power povided to the mirror by the harness, should not be anything special.
Compass display is LED display that has to be powered somehow. When I installed the compass mirrors on my 2005 and 2010 Foresters, there was an extra power input (under the headliner) for compass that otherwise was empty.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Compass display is LED display that has to be powered somehow. When I installed the compass mirrors on my 2005 and 2010 Foresters, there was an extra power input (under the headliner) for compass that otherwise was empty.
Oh yes agreed, but for me for example, if one already has the homelink/dimming feature that means that the cable is already plugged into the mirror to power it right..., unless the harness plugs are different male/female for the homelink/dimming/compass than the mirror without the compass.

Well I am going to Subaru this Friday to have a starter installed, I am going to ask to see if they happen to have a mirror in stock with and without compass, if not i will go look at two vehicles with those mirrors and check the terminals on the wiring to see if they are similiar.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Oh yes agreed, but for me for example, if one already has the homelink/dimming feature that means that the cable is already plugged into the mirror to power it right..., unless the harness plugs are different male/female for the homelink/dimming/compass than the mirror without the compass.

Well I am going to Subaru this Friday to have a starter installed, I am going to ask to see if they happen to have a mirror in stock with and without compass, if not i will go look at two vehicles with those mirrors and check the terminals on the wiring to see if they are similiar.
To check the terminals a.k.a. plug, you have to remove the interior dome light and find the plug under the headliner. All Subarus are pre-wired and the plug is there. Like, for example, the wiring/plug for the hitch, which is under the driver's side rear quarter panel.
The mirror with compass and home link comes pre-wired - all you have to do is to plug it into the plug under the headliner that you find, after you remove the dome light. Also, you can save some money if you buy the mirror over the internet; it is shipped to you for free with no sales tax from many sources on the internet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts