Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 Limited with HK Stereo - Upgrade head unit options that keep backup and amp?

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SNS1938 
#1 ·
I've got a 2013 Limited with the Harmon stereo. It's got the factory sub, and maybe an amp?

I'd like to get Apple CapPlay (so I can make Skype calls through the car, so I can do maps etc).

I can't seem to find an option that will be basically plug and play (maybe needs a special harness, but that's it), and keeps the amp/sub and backup camera all working.

Anyone know of any good options?

Thanks

#3 ·
With Maestro or ASWC or something like that, most big name Double Din units fit, with a face-plate. As SNS stated, Crutchfield has a great will it fit, what you need, and what you keep database.

I'm personally thinking Kenwood myself, unless I buy a 2020. Stay with Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, or JVC, and most stuff should work.

#4 ·
Just to share for others, Crutchfield suggested these units. Now you also need nearly $200 in data link, cables and install kits.

113DMX9706 Kenwood DMX9706S Digital Multimedia Receiver ($599, wireless CarPlay)
105KWM855B JVC KW-M855BW Digital Multimedia Receiver ($499. Wireless CarPlay)
130AVW4500 Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX DVD Receiver ($699)

The $699 + $200 for install hardware, is too much.
The Kenwood is a real nice looking unit, and as far as I can see, was announced at CES this year for $849. That's the one I want, but can't pony up the money right now.
The JVC is my least preferred brand, but wireless CarPlay is very appealing, and its where I think all cars will be pretty soon.
The $349 pioneer is okay, just has a DVD drive I'll never use, and is definitely cheaper design/build than the $599 Kenwood.

The metro painted install facia looks like its just plain silver. The 2013 limiteds have this sort of brushed finish. So it's not going to look awesome, but I can live with that. I'd probably keep the HK unit and swap back if we sold the car (or crashed it or anything).

Anyways, just wanted to share the models that Crutchfield said would work (there's others too, but either not the brands I want, or too expensive).

#5 ·
Just did some more looking, and I am down to:

Cheap option: Pioneer AVH-1550NEX DVD ($349, only wired CarPlay, has DVD drive I don't want, and smaller screen)

Medium option that is on eBay for less: 130AVW4500 Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX DVD Receiver ($699 at Crutchfield) W4500 on ebay $499 new on eBay. Wireless CarPlay, no-DVD, higher quality unit.

Fancy option (although maybe no better than the medium option, just that it'd be brand new from Crutchfield rather than new from an ebay seller) 113DMX9706 Kenwood DMX9706S Digital Multimedia Receiver ($599, wireless CarPlay) Kenwood

I did get told about this Alpine (500ILX207 Alpine iLX-207 Digital Multimedia Receiver), but I think no wireless CarPlay. It's $599 new, but there are many on ebay for $350 or so in great condition.

I ruled out the JVC based on reviews. JVC appears to still be a step behind Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood.
I arrived at these by saying I want 100% of factory options to still work, and I want CarPlay. There's probably many more options that I didn't consider, but I didn't want to consider dozens of units.

#7 ·
I'm about to, although havent quite had time. I'm going with the Pioneer 4500 and the kits from Crutchfield.

The trim surround does look like it's just painted silver, however the Limited in 2013 has this silver paint with then sort of black scratches through it. So I'm thinking the whole thing will look okay, but not factory. I'll post some photos when I get it done.

#9 ·
So I upgraded my 2013 outback 3.6 with nav and Harmon Kardon. I used an alpine ilk-207 and the maestro modules. I did have to order some 2011/2012 trim prices. im currently having the audio shop upgrade the speakers amp and adding dynamat. I should have done this years ago.
That looks great. What functionality was kept vs lost, if any? And is it like I think, that the silver mastro trim panels have a different paint finish?

I upgraded my previous car in April, after driving it for 6 years, to a carplay head unit, and also thought I should have done that years ago. Being able to control my iphone for selecting podcasts from the big head unit, and being able to have text messages read out and then to be able to dictate back to them, is great. Now I have my wife's 2013 outback, I want this again.

I'm so close to blackfriday, and only have one spare weekend before then, I'll wait for blackfriday before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.