Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2013 limited 3.6 about a month ago. Two problems: can't see at night, the low beams are not bright enough and the rear view mirrors on the outside are not auto dimming. Seriously who makes a new car for over $30K w/o these two safety features. Suggestions from anyone how to get the lights brighter, or get a film for those outside mirrors? We did try it ourselves and put in new Silverstar bulbs from the local advanced auto that were supposed to be 35% brighter and now they are even worse - yikes! I called SOA, and they said thanks for the suggestions, we'll take them into consideration for the future. Local dealer where purchased car no help either. Found this forum after googling for help. Suggestions??? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Your kidding right? Dimming outside mirrors? HA HA HA -

Wait you were serious right?
Also the non HID head lights on the Subaru are some of the best I have seen and used in recent years. HID vs gravel and rough roads do not get along very well hence why Subaru sticking to its roots on this one likes to stick with the more durable lower cost standard bulbs. HID head lights on the Legacy might make sense but not the OB.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree that the stock low beams are pretty **** good.
That said, I still did a full HID swap. Might wanna look into doing that. It's pretty labor intensive for a headlight bulb kit, but it's totally worth it.
I recommend doing a light blue tint on your mirrors (think BMW) which will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will put old bulbs back in and have them checked at dealer to be sure they are in right position. And will get tinting done!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My headlights were aimed extremely low from the factory. I had to adjust them up a LOT. I was amazed how much they needed to be adjusted (and no, I didn't go too far up either). The headlights are pretty awesome now that they are adjusted right. Somewhere on one of the Subaru forums is the proper adjustment procedure.

As already mentioned, Subaru doesn't offer outside dimming mirrors.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
We purchased a 2013 limited 3.6 about a month ago. Two problems: can't see at night, the low beams are not bright enough and the rear view mirrors on the outside are not auto dimming. Seriously who makes a new car for over $30K w/o these two safety features. Suggestions from anyone how to get the lights brighter, or get a film for those outside mirrors? We did try it ourselves and put in new Silverstar bulbs from the local advanced auto that were supposed to be 35% brighter and now they are even worse - yikes! I called SOA, and they said thanks for the suggestions, we'll take them into consideration for the future. Local dealer where purchased car no help either. Found this forum after googling for help. Suggestions??? Thanks for your help!
Consider higher Wattage (type H7) bulbs from NOKYA, PIAA or many other brands - you can put 100 W bulbs there - (up from OEM 55 W). You must add heavy duty ceramic wiring/plugs/sockets to prevent bulb sockets from melting. Google H7 bulbs and chose the Wattage and brand along with heavy duty bulb socket adaptors.
I have been using this configuration on each and every car that I have bought in the past 20-some years, (including 3 Subarus) without ever having any problems. You will see great increase(double the candle power) in light output. This solution is much cheaper than converting lights to HID. You just swap the bulbs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing