Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum but have been poking around for several weeks now. I am looking at purchasing a 2013 2.5 Limited with Nav and Sunroof. I have a few questions and a BIG favor to ask.

1) How is the CVT transmission in the 2.5? I've never been a fan of them and I'm yet to drive the vehicle.
2) How is the nav in the 2013? Is it smooth operating and modern?
3) I have two retired racing Greyhounds that I've adopted and they're a large part of why I need a wagon. Could someone provide me a few measurements of their 2013?
*Width of hatch at back
*Length from hatch to the front seats (meaning with rear seats folded down)
*Height of the cargo area

If anyone could do me the huge favor and take these measurements for me I'd be hugely thankful.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
I can answer your first question. I driven other cars with CVTs and they were horrible(jeep patriot). When I first bought my 2011 Outback I was worried about getting used to the CVT. It took me a few days to get used to it and I was loving it. Just traded my 2012 Impreza with CVT for a 2013 OB and the improved CVTs in both cars are excellent. I love how smooth "shifting" they are and how quiet it is. It may take some getting used to, but you should like them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a 2012 - hopefully somebody can confirm that the 2013 is very close and/or provide you with exact measurements, but here's a photo to give you some idea.

Sorry, just a cellphone snapshot, but hopefully helps to visualize the size and what can fit in there. That is a 36x23x25 dog crate. I believe that there's ~42" between wheel arches. There's quite a bit of space back there - definitely more than a lot of smaller SUV's.

We have Bearded Collies. We could probably fit 2x30" crates side by side WITHOUT putting the back seat down. I know a friend with a 2010 Outback can get 2x36" crates and 1x30" crate (as well as a bunch of other stuff) into the car with the back seat folded down . I'm guessing greyhounds need 42" crates (?) and I'm sure you could get two in there with the seats down; you might have to have one lengthwise and one widthwise, but I think they'd fit. If they'll ride in the back without crates, there is plenty of space for them to be comfortable, I believe.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
I like the CVT on my '13. I'm a bit of a control freak about gear selection, which is why most automatics end up driving me nuts...hunting on hills, catching it in the wrong gear, etc. I've tended to buy manuals because of this.

I actually really like the CVT. It's very quick to respond to throttle input, and is always in the right gear. Just judging from my driving, it seems to have a few modes to it.

- If you drive gently, the revs will rise and fall as needed, up to about 3400 rpm.

- If you give it enough throttle to get it above 3400-3600 rpm, it will allow engine revs to rise as you accelerate, mimicking a conventional automatic.

- Floor it, and the revs will shoot up to somewhere north of 4000 rpm and give you the bump that a conventional automatic will give on a downshift. It'll then allow the revs to rise as you accelerate, until you hit just shy of redline, at which point the revs hang there while the car continues to accelerate. Back off the throttle at this point and revs will drop about 1000 rpm, mimicking an upshift of a conventional automatic. If you don't accelerate again, revs will then drop down lower and it'll resume normal operation.

Keep in mind though that I haven't floored it from a dead stop...I tend not to do that in any vehicle. My observations are based on moving away from a stop normally, and not really getting hard into the throttle until I'm above about 30 mph, and only doing that when I need to.

At least that's what I've noticed on mine. It seems that Subaru has worked hard on the programming to keep the revs down and transmission operation smooth at light throttle, but mimic a conventional automatic when you're working it hard.

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the good info on the CVT. I'm planning on a test drive tomorrow.

Based on the measurements page the interior cargo space will fit the bill. :)

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a 2012 - hopefully somebody can confirm that the 2013 is very close and/or provide you with exact measurements, but here's a photo to give you some idea.

Sorry, just a cellphone snapshot, but hopefully helps to visualize the size and what can fit in there. That is a 36x23x25 dog crate. I believe that there's ~42" between wheel arches. There's quite a bit of space back there - definitely more than a lot of smaller SUV's.

We have Bearded Collies. We could probably fit 2x30" crates side by side WITHOUT putting the back seat down. I know a friend with a 2010 Outback can get 2x36" crates and 1x30" crate (as well as a bunch of other stuff) into the car with the back seat folded down . I'm guessing greyhounds need 42" crates (?) and I'm sure you could get two in there with the seats down; you might have to have one lengthwise and one widthwise, but I think they'd fit. If they'll ride in the back without crates, there is plenty of space for them to be comfortable, I believe.

Hope that helps!
mrsastrakhan,

Thanks for the info and pic. They are awesome in the car, as soon as they get in and I close the hatch they lie down in exactly the same spots each time and won't get up until the hatch is opened. I guess they're tired of being in crates from their racing days so behave without them ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
mrsastrakhan,

Thanks for the info and pic. They are awesome in the car, as soon as they get in and I close the hatch they lie down in exactly the same spots each time and won't get up until the hatch is opened. I guess they're tired of being in crates from their racing days so behave without them ;)
In which case, you have plenty of room - put down some nice pads for them and they'll be as comfortable as can be!!

Btw, if you want a barrier to keep them in the back and/or for safety (recommended - loose in the back without a barrier and they can become both a hazard to human passengers and badly injured in a crash) - and don't want the OEM accessory - check this one out. By far - FAR - the best, easiest to remove, quietest and least hassle one I've found to date (and I've tried a few over the years!). Disclaimer: haven't used it in the Subaru, but we used it in our Saturn SUV and it was terrific. It's so much easier to install/remove than any other I've found - you can attach/detach in a minute or two rather than the alligator wrestling some of the others take! It also takes up very little room for those times when you don't want it in place.

Motor Trend Walky Guard - Front Seat Dog Barrier by PetEgo

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In which case, you have plenty of room - put down some nice pads for them and they'll be as comfortable as can be!!

Btw, if you want a barrier to keep them in the back and/or for safety (recommended - loose in the back without a barrier and they can become both a hazard to human passengers and badly injured in a crash) - and don't want the OEM accessory - check this one out. By far - FAR - the best, easiest to remove, quietest and least hassle one I've found to date (and I've tried a few over the years!). Disclaimer: haven't used it in the Subaru, but we used it in our Saturn SUV and it was terrific. It's so much easier to install/remove than any other I've found - you can attach/detach in a minute or two rather than the alligator wrestling some of the others take! It also takes up very little room for those times when you don't want it in place.

Motor Trend Walky Guard - Front Seat Dog Barrier by PetEgo
Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out. :29:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts