Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad is looking to upgrade his outback to a 2013. He definitely wants the memory seats. He hates the push button start.

Apparently the only way to get the memory seats is to buy the Limited model. No problem: the 2.5i limited is what he wants. But then it seems that the only way to get memory seats is to buy Special Appearance Package:

"Special Appearance Package: Gray machine-finish 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, front grille with Gray-finish slats, Black-finish headlight inner bezels, Gray-finish folding side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Gray-finish door handles with driver’s door unlock/lock touch sensor, Black rear bumper cover, Saddle Brown Leather-trimmed upholstery, 2-position driver’s seat memory, Matte-finish woodgrain-patterned accent trim, carpeted floor mats with Outback logo and Keyless Access & Start"

It is hard for me to believe that Subaru would finally add the Memory seats (which many people have been hoping for), but then make it so exclusive to actually get!

Is there anyway to NOT get this "Special Appearance Package" and NOT get the push button start, but STILL get (or upgrade after the fact) to the Memory Seats?????

Thanks, FLAGG

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
They probably don't want to admit to anyone (customers, competitors, themselves) what they spent to develop/license the feature. By combining it with other stuff they can mask the true price.

And ain't that a drag. I hate feature bundles. A la carte is much better.

Some automakers used to be able to handle a "buyout" on it where you paid the full bundle price, but then they would only install the specific option(s) you wanted, to create something custom. I don't think any of them do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They probably don't want to admit to anyone (customers, competitors, themselves) what they spent to develop/license the feature. By combining it with other stuff they can mask the true price.
I have a hard time believing that's the case. Memory seats debuted back in 1957 with the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (according to some quick googling), it's not a "new feature".

Seeing how old memory seats are it's even more irritating that any car with power seats doesn't have a simple memory function these days...

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Ka-ching!!!
They’re still out there. You can custom a 911 with leather dash vents, same as factory customize your AMG. But note, we’re not talking Toyota/Honda/Subaru market segment here.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I have a hard time believing that's the case. Memory seats debuted back in 1957 with the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (according to some quick googling), it's not a "new feature".

Seeing how old memory seats are it's even more irritating that any car with power seats doesn't have a simple memory function these days...
That's why I inserted the word 'license.' It's entirely possible that Cadillac (or someone else along the way) took out a patent on it and everyone else has to pay a fee per seat to incorporate the feature.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's why I inserted the word 'license.' It's entirely possible that Cadillac (or someone else along the way) took out a patent on it and everyone else has to pay a fee per seat to incorporate the feature.
If that is the case then every manufacturer is paying that same license fee so it's pointless for Subaru to not want to "admit" it.

BTW - Here are a few of the patents covering this:

http://www.google.com/patents/US5197007
http://www.google.com/patents/US5751129
http://www.google.com/patents/US4682088
http://www.google.com/patents/US4845620

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is one of the few disappointments for me since memory seats are not that high end. When two drivers are different in size by 10" in height and 100 pounds in weight the memory seats are a blessing.

Actually the push button start is also desireable for my circumstances since my wife has RA and doesn't at times have much wrist strength to twist the key. Pushing the button is effortless for her however.

Still we both love the car...

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
If that is the case then every manufacturer is paying that same license fee so it's pointless for Subaru to not want to "admit" it.
I didn't think there was anything that forces the licensor to offer all other parties the rights for the same price. If I patent some new car gizmo, what prevents me from selling licenses to Subaru for $5/car and simultaneously to Ford for $210/car?

Either way, I don't like having to re-set mine all the time. I do wish they'd taken the plunge a long time ago. At least with manual adjustments, you can count notches or turns of the handle. I miss that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well my 13 OB Limited does not have memory seats either.
But I am 6'3" a and 290, my wife is 5'5" and she only slides the seat forward. As she knows how long it took me finally get it set where I like it.

However, our 12 Tribeca Limited DOES have this feature. I wish Subaru would make it standard on their Limited class cars across the line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what wrong with Push Button Start? That was the feature that sold me on the 3.6 SAP. Tell him it works great. Keep the keys/remote in his pocket, touch the door handle and the car unlocks, sit behind the wheel and push the button and never had to pull the remote out of my pocket!

Life is good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I got that on my BMW 5 1/2 years ago and I can tell you it is a very nice feature to have and I wish it would have been an option. However Eye Sight was way more important to me so I could not get SAP...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Old fashioned I guess. But I still prefer a key as well. He had a push button start on a Lexus........I actually had to borrow that car for a few months.......so got used to it too. There are nice features. What I don't like:

1) Still like the key.

2) Always being paranoid of if doors are locked or not.

3) Made me FORGET to lock my non-push button start cars

4) Pain when you get so used to keeping the key in your pocket, and then forget to pass it on when you switch drivers. Then you get out of the car, your wife drives away, and the car shuts down with no key.

5) Always wondered what would happen if you were driving, and an emergency came up where you HAD to shut off that engine?

Flagg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone find aftermarket memory seat modules that can be installed in a Subaru?

·
Registered
814 Posts
As someone who had a 2011 Premium and now has a 2013 SAP, I could not go back to using a key. The keyless feature with the SAP pkg is worth the price alone.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Guys keep in mind Subaru is a Japanese company. You really should just tell your wife to walk....

Kidding!!!!!!!!!! No really I was kidding so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Its all about cost folks. Every little content item adds to the bottom line.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone have access to a dealer parts guide to see what parts would be needed to add memory to the 10 way electric seats? There's the switches and possibly a wiring harness?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
21 Participants
rover4x4
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing