Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a new '13 with Nav in December, and in the past month a new major toll highway opened up in our area. The road is so new that it's not even on NAVTEQ Map Reporter site: NAVTEQ Map Reporter (It is on Google Maps and Waze, thought not Bing or Apple maps.)

Is there any way to manually add a road to the system via a track log or something? I didn't see anything obvious....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Nope! There is a rumor that SOA will be updating the maps but none of the dealers (that I talked to) knew, how those updates will be implemented. There is a talk that another SD card will be available or Sirius XM will update the system, etc etc. If anyone has heard anothing on this issue, lets hear it!

Speaking of Sirius - I am up for renewal - is it really worth it? Can anybody comment on this?

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
or Sirius XM will update the system, etc etc. If anyone has heard anothing on this issue, lets hear it!
GPS map updates are typically 1-2GB of data, that's not going to get pushed over a satellite radio connection.

I'm guessing it's going to be the SD card route.

Speaking of Sirius - I am up for renewal - is it really worth it? Can anybody comment on this?
If I had a nav system I'd probably subscribe to XM.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I just stream Pandora from my iphone and play it via bluetooth in my OB, it's awesome and I only pay $30 a year to get rid of those pesky ads.

But if you want news and talk radio then I'd go with Satellite. My fiance has Sirius in her Versa, she loves it. She's been a subscriber for almost 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Paulfolio - I think I will go your route and stream Pandora as well - while it's still free!
Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
So far, I have gotten no benefit out of the NavTraffic service, it seems to be hours behind in updates if it lists the issue at all. On our last trip up I-5 from Souther CA to Sacramento, we sat parked on the freeway for over an hour and not only was there no indication of what was going on, but I did not even get the "traffic jam ahead" warning that it loves to give me on a free flowing freeway on my way home from work every day.

I was able to find out where the cause of the traffic jam was using Apple Maps on my iPhone and what was causing the issue using the CHP website though within minutes of coming to a stop.

I have no use for the music service, I have over 20K songs on my iPod and can stream other music over bluetooth if I ever feel the need.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
djz - good point! Thanks - I will not renew Sirius!

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I've used XM radio in my cars for years. I like the commercial-free service, wide selection of genres, and the fact that you can listen to the same station while you travel. Of course Pandora does a lot of that too and probably if it were built in to my HK, I'd use Pandora or Aha instead.

Regarding the traffic, it seems to be almost useless in this car. I prefer the FM sideband service that Garmin uses. When I drive any distance now, I use Waze on my iPhone to tell me about traffic, obstacles, and cops. With the ProClip phone holder, Wave is convenient to use.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
I concur with djz on the traffic nav stuff. It doesn't seem very helpful and I don't intend to subscribe to it.

However, I've been a long time XM subscriber (my 10th year!) and I'll put the car on a yearly subscription. Wish they still had lifetime subs. I've got one. Wouldn't mind having 2 more.

Streaming music off of the phone is just way too painful. Especially if you get out in the sticks where cell service is spotty. Or sometimes in a hole in the city. That's not an issue with XM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts