Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, 2.5, Non-Turbo
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of searches for info about 2013 traffic system. I fount lots of info about the Nav system, but the traffic info was scattered all over and not that comprehensive. Thought it might make sense to start a traffic thread.

I have a 2011 - no traffic of course. Major shortcoming. A good traffic system might motivate an upgrade (hate having a Garmen Nuvi to contend with).

So...my questions are...

What is the basis for the traffic system in the 2013? Sirius?

Has anyone used it, and how accurate is it? I live in LA, and Garmen Nuvi is next to useless...major inaccuracies.

Does it automatically reroute you when traffic occurs mid-journey (as the VW system does)?

Any other comments on strengths and weaknesses, based on real-world use?

Thanks, members! :29:

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Basically there are two traffic reporting system: SiriusXM's NavTraffic and Clear Channel's FM-based Total Traffic Network.

Garmin devices use either of them so you'd have to check on your model to see which it uses. Units with "FM transmitters" use TTN afaik.

Avoid the Jam With Real-Time Traffic Reports - Edmunds.com

Either way, the notices are only as good as the services that provide them. I have no experience with SiriusXM's service but my Garmin uses the FM system and it usually lags behind when it comes to major traffic issues.

EDIT: More links to read, they are a few years old though:

http://gpstracklog.com/2006/09/best_gps_traffi.html
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56866

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Though it's not the OEM unit, the traffic portion of the Kenwood DNX9980HD in my OB seems to work well. The few times it has given us a notification it was fairly accurate (both in terms of how far ahead as well as being accurate of the distance that is effected). Like iainb noted, it's always going to be only as effective as the notifications that the company puts out.

·
Premium Member
"Betty Drivemeanywhere" aka 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 AT CVT Ltd w/ Eyesight
49 Posts
Does the 2013 OB OEM Nav System/Traffic Alert Points Feature Actually Work?

(Thanks for this thread, greenvalleybob...)

Hi, 2013 OB Owners,

I'm happy as a clam with my six-month old 2013 OB's OEM Nav system, but...

Has anyone in the community observed the Sound and Warnings/Traffic Alert Points feature (which includes sounds and/or visuals for speed limits, speed cameras, and school zones) actually work? It does work for me if I set up manual Alert Points, but I have yet to see it work with XM traffic data as input.

On a related note, has anyone seen the Nav system traffic radio checkbox automatically clear itself after enabling the feature (for example, after turning the vehicle off and then starting it later)? I think I observed this behavior within the first couple of months of ownership, but the checkbox has stayed enabled since, so I wonder if I somehow canceled out of the selection instead of saving it back then.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Lambanlaa

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Basically there are two traffic reporting system: SiriusXM's NavTraffic and Clear Channel's FM-based Total Traffic Network.

Garmin devices use either of them so you'd have to check on your model to see which it uses. Units with "FM transmitters" use TTN afaik.

Avoid the Jam With Real-Time Traffic Reports - Edmunds.com

Either way, the notices are only as good as the services that provide them. I have no experience with SiriusXM's service but my Garmin uses the FM system and it usually lags behind when it comes to major traffic issues.

EDIT: More links to read, they are a few years old though:

Best GPS traffic service: XM or FM/TMC? - GPS Tracklog
GpsPasSion Forums - Fm Traffic Vs. XM Traffic
iainb: Are you saying that if I cancel the Sirius XM (I just did) I lose the Navigation and related updates, if any?

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
The only time I saw the Traffic nav kick in was when I was asking the unit to direct me to my location.

For all of the other times, It just showed red lines on the screen where things were bad.

My subscription expired Monday and I've been too lazy to bother to call and haggle with them.

You can subscribe to traffic services w/o audio, I think.

I will not be renewing the traffic nav subscription. I didn't find it worth the money, honestly.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
I was using TomTom U.s. & Canada on my iPhone in my '12 Impreza and my new '13 Outback Limited has a nav. The traffic on the nav unit is AWFUL compared to the $19.99 I paid annually for TomTom traffic. TomTom gave you tons of context about what they delays were, how to avoid them, and updated you in real time when it could find a quicker route. Money well spent IMO. I find the traffic on my head unit Nav to be cryptic and without rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have found the traffic warning system works well on my 2013. I would recommend you go into the options sectio and disable the "other" category of warnings. When its enabled it will say any road consruction is a "traffic jam ahead".

As far as I know (per my dealer) traffic on the 2013 nav system requires an XM radio subscription to work.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I know that is how it works in my friends' Toyota Venza. Nav Traffic was not available alone.

I have XM on both my cars (Subaru and Ford). I have found that the actual price is highly negotiable with XM. Every time I come up for renewal I just call them, tell them I want to cancel, that I can get Pandora for free, and they cut the price down substantially. I has worked over and over for 3 years on my Ford and once for the Subaru. Best I have done is 6 months for $19.99. I think the last time around on the Ford I got 6 months for $24.99.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wish they'd bring the lifetime subscriptions back.... I've got 1. Would like 2 more.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
857 Posts
I wish they'd bring the lifetime subscriptions back.... I've got 1. Would like 2 more.
That is what I have. I had the subscription on a portable receiver and transferred it to the car in 2011. They charged $75 to transfer it but they also said I can't transfer it again. When my OB goes, I have to start paying again. I'm not worried about it since I paid $300+/- for the lifetime subscription in 2008 and plan on owning the OB for at least another 5 years.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That is what I have. I had the subscription on a portable receiver and transferred it to the car in 2011. They charged $75 to transfer it but they also said I can't transfer it again. When my OB goes, I have to start paying again. I'm not worried about it since I paid $300+/- for the lifetime subscription in 2008 and plan on owning the OB for at least another 5 years.
I paid $499 for it a couple of years ago for an XMPCR (computer controlled, optical output XM receiver). I was told I had 5 chances to transfer it. Though, was never told how much it would cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts