Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited Deep Indigo Pearl Moonroof, Navigation and EyeSight System, Wheel Arch Moldings
21 Posts
I forgot to mention, I just turned 1,000 miles about 20 miles ago. Fought a 20 to 30 mph headwind all the way from Rapid City. Meter shows 26.1 average, will hand caculate tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
201 Posts
When I bought my 2011 OB the SALESMAN told me the navigation was bad and said I'd be better off avoiding it, saving the money and getting a Garmin. Wow! Hopefully there wil be software upgrads to make it more tolerable. As for the hissing, that's weird. It's unfortunate that so many options these days are bundled where you have to get something you don't want to get something you really do want.
I suppose the simplified option system makes it more efficient, and profitiable, for the automakers.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Your salesman was right! Get a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime traffic and updates. Then mount it with a bracket/holder from ProClip that attaches to the left windshield pillar with no drilling...then hard wire it down to the fuse box below.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
When I bought my 2011 OB the SALESMAN told me the navigation was bad and said I'd be better off avoiding it, saving the money and getting a Garmin. Wow! Hopefully there wil be software upgrads to make it more tolerable. As for the hissing, that's weird. It's unfortunate that so many options these days are bundled where you have to get something you don't want to get something you really do want.
I suppose the simplified option system makes it more efficient, and profitiable, for the automakers.

Mine told me the same thing when I bought the 2012, but 2013 has a totally different system that is MUCH better. No system is perfect and I think the claim that the new 2013 Nav is "horrible" is pretty overblown. The 2010-2012 Nav WAS horrible. The 2013 is pretty OK but like any installed nav system out there it's not perfect.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There is a list of compatible phones on the subaru.com website.

Appears this has not yet been updated for the 2013 Nav unit, still showing the old Kenwood system. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Mine told me the same thing when I bought the 2012, but 2013 has a totally different system that is MUCH better. No system is perfect and I think the claim that the new 2013 Nav is "horrible" is pretty overblown. The 2010-2012 Nav WAS horrible. The 2013 is pretty OK but like any installed nav system out there it's not perfect.
Same here. My 2010 Nav wasn't the greatest but when I consider the advantages of having it built in with the other electronics integrated I prefer it over using my Garmins. It even had some nice advantages like auto split screen which my Garmins didn't. The 2013 nav is slightly better than my 2010 but still far from perfect. I don't dispute that if you want the best directions for the cheapest price the garmins (or even my phone) win. But when I look at the big picture I still prefer the factory NAV.
One thing I do miss about my 2010 nav that my 2013 doesn't have is the ability to play DVDs. My wife was able to do a lot of catching up on long trips.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Yeah, it's definitely relative. This is the first vehicle I've had with built-in navigation, so I can't say how it compares to previous model years or other in-dash navigation systems. From what I can tell, it used to be much worse.

Since I've never had an in-dash navigation system in a car before, my reference points are portable standalone GPS like TomTom and Garmin, and more recently, Android smartphones with Google Navigation.

So when I say that the in-dash nav is horrible, I'm comparing the 2013 navigation system to a TomTom I had in 2005, the Garmin systems owned by friends, and my OG Motorola Droid from 2009 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus from 2011. They all kick the crap out of the in-dash system in terms of user experience - the intuitiveness of controls, the functions, the responsiveness of buttons, reliability, etc. If I were coming from a worse in-dash system, I might be jaded already, but when a standalone GPS that is worth maybe $50 now is that much better than the multiple-thousand-dollar factory option, I'm not exactly wowwed by the quality.

Android-based in-dash systems already exist and are becoming more popular. They are mostly from completely-unknown brands at the moment, but once they start hitting popular brands, I think we're going to see some big changes in quality. If I could spend $1000 right now and replace the functionality of the in-dash nav with something android-based and still retain the handsfree calling, steering wheel controls, backup camera display, etc, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
236 Posts
a part of me is wondering if some of the issues could be fixed is a higher class SD card. I don't have an Outback yet, but I bet Subaru is using a class 2 or class 4 SD card, which don't have much processing power and not all that fast. It would be curious if the card could be cloned to a Class10 card if it would help. Just a random thought.
Anyone try this? Or check what class SD card is being used?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely relative. This is the first vehicle I've had with built-in navigation, so I can't say how it compares to previous model years or other in-dash navigation systems. From what I can tell, it used to be much worse.

Funny, I find that it works much better than my portable TomTom does. I don't have any problem w/ it bogging down. Mine just resets at random, so the dealer is replacing it under warranty.

I'd be curious to see what the build date is on your Nav unit. It's in the settings section. Mine is 8.8.12. Apparently (according to my dealer service guy), Subaru has been tweaking the 2013 unit and there are several versions out there.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
......I'd be curious to see what the build date is on your Nav unit. It's in the settings section. Mine is 8.8.12. Apparently (according to my dealer service guy), Subaru has been tweaking the 2013 unit and there are several versions out there.
My 8-12 build is 3-30-12 if I was in the right place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I posted it on this forum, or on one of the navi forums on this site several months ago. Subaru wanted to hear from people with navi complaints. There is no TSB because it is an entire new head unit and requires a full replacement which includes the Sirius radio as they are both within the one package.
Please post a link to your previous post?

G

·
I bought a 2014 Outback on 12/16. I love all the features in the car except for the navigation system. It is absolutely terrible. In just a couple of days of using it, I am feeling very let down by the Nav. It does not give out directions on a regular basis. I tested it on roads that I am familiar with and that helped as I knew the turns I had to take. If I had relied on the Nav system, I would have probably never reached my destination. It gives the directions after I have taken the turn. I have called the dealer and expressed my frustration. Waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
We still have a 2013 Legacy with the same nav unit... it’s a horrible piece of c-r-a-p. Subaru generally builds nice cars, but they give little thought to the nav units.

We replaced our 2013 OB with a 2017, and still the head unit is missing a ton of features that are common on lower end models from other manufacturers.

The biggest issue being integration of features with technologies like smart phones; Car Play for example.

It’s so odd that they build a generally decent car, but throw whatever head unit in a car... then stop providing updates.

I’m pretty sure our next car will not be a Subaru because of this.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,004 Posts
The navigation apps on any halfway decent smart phone beat the crap out of any vehicle manufacturer's factory navigation system.

We have not used or even cared about the navigation systems in any of our vehicles for years now.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts