Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new 2013 OB 3.6R w/Nav + Eyesight about 2 1/2 weeks ago. A little disappointed in the Eyesight operation, after having this feature on my previous two cars, but that's another subject. The problem that's bothering me a lot is the volume on the voice guidance in the Nav system. (I had Nav on previous two cars as well). Even at its lowest setting, the volume is too loud for city driving. My passengers all complain about it, but I can't slide the volume control any lower. Clearly the volume control is way out of adjustment. If I slide it to the center of the range, the voice is painfully loud. I would probably blow my speakers if I used the highest setting.

Service at my dealer told me there's no way to adjust this. I don't accept this. It's clearly defective and needs to be fixed or replaced. I've written to Subaru and they seem to be siding with the dealer, although we're still talking about it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions found? My dealer indicated that they've had this complaint from other owners.

In the meantime I have had to turn the voice guidance totally off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the meantime I have had to turn the voice guidance totally off.
I was playing with my Nav settings a few days ago and forgot that I put the volume about half way up. I set a destination this morning and started driving down the road. When the guideance came on, it was SO LOUD. I actually pulled into a nearby subdivision and turned the volume all the way down. Interested in hearing some solutions as well!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up: After getting no where with Subaru via email, I took my car to my dealer's service manager today for an evaluation. He agreed that the volume control is not calibrated correctly and opened a case with Subaru Tech. Whether Subaru does anything about it remains to be seen, but at least they're aware of the problem

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Sounds like a simple software patch would be all that is needed.

If you still have trouble getting people to believe you make a video. That tends to get stuff moving. Sometimes people complain just to complain and companies start to get a little jaded after a while.

Also CALL SOA. For some reason the phone dept seams to get better results than letters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Voice Guidance Tone Too Loud

I had the same problem with my 2013 OB Limitied with NAV. I had to move the volume for the guidance tone almost to the very very bottom of the slide scale. Definately out of wack. Also there are times when I don't want the voice guidance on and you have to look hard to find the adjustments. On my older Garmin. The mute button was almost on the first page. There is no mute on this system. You have to fiddle around with the very tricky slide scale which is already at the bottom limit.
Definately as software upgrade required. This is the 1st year for this guidance system to my understanding. The map is also older for a new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just fixed this on our 2011 and 2013 Outbacks!

#1 Go into the voice guidance menu by hitting the talk button.

#2 Using your TUNER button (NOT the voice response/steering wheel buttons), scroll through to SETUP and then SYSTEM SETUP.

#3 VOICE GUIDANCE was the first option for both of us. We turned it down from 4 to ONE. Perfect! Kid won't scream anymore when we hit the buttons! Hooray! Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts