Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
When I was washing my 2013 OB and applying Klasse AIO and Sealant, I have noticed some small paint irregularities on top of the roof and on the upper right part of the hood. In one case, it looked as if it was a small drop of a clear coat which created a lense like effect when it solidified. In another case it was a kind of a small spot of car metallic base paint with rough and thin layer of the clear coat over it. These blemishes or defects were not caused by any gravel or road debris impact. It's nothing major, I just wondering if it's a common for Subaru cars in general to have such minor finish defects. I've heard the they use robot spray instead of submerging painting methods for they cars for the sake of being "green" :rolleyes:
Could somebody respond on this matter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hello folks,
When I was washing my 2013 OB and applying Klasse AIO and Sealant, I have noticed some small paint irregularities on top of the roof and on the upper right part of the hood. In one case, it looked as if it was a small drop of a clear coat which created a lense like effect when it solidified. In another case it was a kind of a small spot of car metallic base paint with rough and thin layer of the clear coat over it. These blemishes or defects were not caused by any gravel or road debris impact. It's nothing major, I just wondering if it's a common for Subaru cars in general to have such minor finish defects. I've heard the they use robot spray instead of submerging painting methods for they cars for the sake of being "green" :rolleyes:
Could somebody respond on this matter.
HB - Subaru makes cheap cars - you want perfect or as near perfect as you can there are some hand built cars still made but chances are you couldn't afford the steering wheel let alone the rest of the car attached to it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My wife would flip her wig if I brought home our car looking like that. :D
Mine nearly had a melt down when our Napa Wine tasting trip resulted in some brush streaks down the passenger side. Those narrow country roads with city slickers driving down the middle doesn't leave much room for a OB going the other way!

A little high grade teflon wax and lots of rubbing got them out. Pretty sure she would go into full meltdown mode if I drove up in the car caked in mud like that. LOL

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Who on earth used "Submerging painting methods" Never heard of such thing EVER.
In fairness to the OP, there are manufacturers that use submersion to paint their cars. I can't recall the brand but I'm pretty sure it was a luxury/near-luxury brand that showed it in one of their commercials.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
I’ll gamble the OP is referring to anode/cathode *primer* immersion. It doesn’t appear Subaru uses primer, but I’ll be pissed if I bought a $75K Merc and it was dunk-painted.
As for the bubble, are you sure it’s not tree sap?<O:p

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In fairness to the OP, there are manufacturers that use submersion to paint their cars. I can't recall the brand but I'm pretty sure it was a luxury/near-luxury brand that showed it in one of their commercials.
Most of European car brands are being painted by submerging its bodies into baths of paint and applying negative charge to the car body and positive to the bath itself. This creates diffusion of paint particles into the car body.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I pick my Subaru up tomorrow and frankly I know this is a good car with good paint not paint like a lux car so I temper my expectations to what it really is.
Would be nice if the paint was excellent but it will not be however.
I prefer functionality and will be satisfied with that.
That doesn't mean I will not use Klasse AIO as well since it is my main choice for all my cars...

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll gamble the OP is referring to anode/cathode *primer* immersion. It doesn’t appear Subaru uses primer, but I’ll be pissed if I bought a $75K Merc and it was dunk-painted.
As for the bubble, are you sure it’s not tree sap?<o:p</o
No it wasn't a tree sap. I tried to rub it with alcohol and Klasse AIO without any results. I don't have a buffer, so I could rely only on my hands, though I cannot apply much pressure due to the thin metal.
By the way anode/cathode method used not only for priming but for applying
base color paint as well. What is wrong with being as you said "dunk-painted"?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Most of European car brands are being painted by submerging its bodies into baths of paint and applying negative charge to the car body and positive to the bath itself. This creates diffusion of paint particles into the car body.
Do you have a link to support this?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I see your point regarding the immersion process. ‘Base color paint’ as in primer, sure/maybe. But final/multi-coat/clearcoat by dunking/immersing my Bentley, I’d probably have a problem with that.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HB - Subaru makes cheap cars - you want perfect or as near perfect as you can there are some hand built cars still made but chances are you couldn't afford the steering wheel let alone the rest of the car attached to it.
My original question was not about perfectness of a Subaru, but about minor defects in its car finish. The previous cars I've owned had much thicker paint and top coats without noticeable blemishes. So I though, having reasonably good blemish free paint coat on a $31K car is not that much to ask for.
As to your suggestion of my affordability, all I can say if I could afford to buy my learjet outright I can afford to buy most of the cars you can only drool over :drool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the exact same thing on the roof of my 2011 legacy. Two spots where it looked liked sap, but was blemishes that we're clear coated over. Part of the reason I got a white 2013, so I wouldn't notice things like that as easily.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
That’s the rub, ‘problem is’ the $31K paint job gets the same implementation as the $20K Leggy (or $15K Impreza).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
I wouldn't say most european cars use submersion. It is a spendy process. I know I have seen a show on TV about it (Porsche?) on a show like How It's Made. I know BMW/MB does not (at least not all models) since they have some of the worst orange peel on new cars.

I would think frame submersion is a process reserved for the very high end.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts