Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm really excited about getting my 2013 OB ready to carry two fiberglass kayaks.

I'm considering the Yakima "Bowdown" system installed directly to the factory crossbars. I'm very concerned about the weight. Each Bowdown is 36lbs, so two of them plus two glass boats seems excessive for the factory system.

The factory crossbars seem flimsy and very flexible. Are any of you folks carrying sea kayaks on the roofs of your late model OBs? I'd like to hear your thoughts...

TIA,
Steve

·
Registered
2013 OB Premium with a 2.5L engine and a M/T
15 Posts
Yakama’s Cross Towers, Landing Pads #12 and round cross bars can support up to 165 pounds. Subaru’s OEM aero cross bars can support up to 150 pounds. I agree that Subaru’s X-bars flex more than Yakama’s ¾” standard pipe X-bars; however the Yakama’s setup will cost you $300.00 plus and Subaru’s OEM setup will cost you nothing. Note; your dealer sells a set of (4) OEM specific “Mighty Mount” clamps for your OEM aero X-bars for around $25.00. It’s hard to justify $300.00+ for an additional 15 pounds of capacity.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm really excited about getting my 2013 OB ready to carry two fiberglass kayaks.

I'm considering the Yakima "Bowdown" system installed directly to the factory crossbars. I'm very concerned about the weight. Each Bowdown is 36lbs, so two of them plus two glass boats seems excessive for the factory system.

The factory crossbars seem flimsy and very flexible. Are any of you folks carrying sea kayaks on the roofs of your late model OBs? I'd like to hear your thoughts...

TIA,
Steve
Steve - check the simple nylon straps that you mount to the inside fender bolts and fish through the hood / fender gap for the bow ties. They work great I have them on my truck and my outback. Bought my dad a pair too $4 way worth it for the bow tie.

Your kayaks should easily be just fine given properly lashed down you tie the primary hull ie center section to the cross bars not the car so really the only weight on the rails are the kayaks not the load from the tie down. The bow lines and stern lines should not be wrenched tight - just snug to keep the ends of the boat from twisting this prevents the hulls from getting stressed by wind loads and keeps them front trying to shift sideways on the rack. The primary tie holding the hulls is at the strongest point in the hull the center section where you sit etc.

I recall the factory bars are rated for 150lbs

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Also most people do not know this but for light built boats like sailboats and Kayaks you want them to get a soft ride to be sitting on somewhat flexible racks etc to prevent the road vibration from damaging the hull material. You can easily crush and damaged fiberglass sailboats and kayaks by wrenching them down too tight or transporting them on a trailer or rack that transmits far to much road vibration to the hull stressing the hulls at the cradle points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts