Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2013 OB, 2.5 Premuim, 3 weeks old, 600 miles, drifts right from day one. Had tire pressure checked today, right front was 32 psi, warm, others 34 psi. Dealer adjusted all to 34 psi. Drift is even worse now. Conti Pro Contact tires. Any ideas?

·
Registered
982 Posts
New 2013 OB, 2.5 Premuim, 3 weeks old, 600 miles, drifts right from day one. Had tire pressure checked today, right front was 32 psi, warm, others 34 psi. Dealer adjusted all to 34 psi. Drift is even worse now. Conti Pro Contact tires. Any ideas?
My car drifted left very slightly and I had to have it aligned. A couple tires where way out of spec. Simple fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your new 2013? I hope mine will be that simple. This is my first Subaru and right now I am pretty bummed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have the exact same problem on my '13 Outback. Tire pressure exactly where it should be. Took it to the dealer for an alignment. After driving the car (not even on the highway) they determined there was nothing wrong with it. I insisted they put it on the alignment machine to check it and they gave me a print out saying that it was "dead on." (No they didn't adjust the alignment). After some back and forth with the service tech, he asked me if this was my first Subaru (big red flag here that they were never going to take my complaint seriously). After saying yes, they implied that this was just how Subarus drive.

Big disappointment with dealer service. Car still pulls to the right and I don't have the time or inclination to pay to have it done somewhere else.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had this same problem on a new Civic (pull to right even the pressure and alignment was correct) and it turned out to be a defective tire. Instead of just getting another cheap OEM tire, I went with a full set of good tires and never had another problem with drift/pull. You might want to rotate the tire left to right to see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had this same problem on a new Civic (pull to right even the pressure and alignment was correct) and it turned out to be a defective tire. Instead of just getting another cheap OEM tire, I went with a full set of good tires and never had another problem with drift/pull. You might want to rotate the tire left to right to see if that helps.
I have had more people (offline) tell me it may be a defective tire. I know from previous experience on other cars, that can be true. Will definitely be taking car back to dealer to check alignment. Tires are actually warranted by manufacturer, not dealer, Hope that does not become an issue.
To Woozle, my dealer, so far, has been receptive, but don't know how long that will last if problem is not corrected. This is my first Subaru also but I don't accept that a car should drift or pull. Yes, the crown of the road affects it but I have tested it on numerous roads and at numerous speeds.
I am also trying to adjust to the 'vague steering' on the highway, at about 50-55 mph. They tell me that is the symmetrical AWD. Feels like I have to keep slightly adjusting steering to maintain position in lane. (No shimmy though)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have the exact same problem on my '13 Outback. Tire pressure exactly where it should be. Took it to the dealer for an alignment. After driving the car (not even on the highway) they determined there was nothing wrong with it. I insisted they put it on the alignment machine to check it and they gave me a print out saying that it was "dead on." (No they didn't adjust the alignment). After some back and forth with the service tech, he asked me if this was my first Subaru (big red flag here that they were never going to take my complaint seriously). After saying yes, they implied that this was just how Subarus drive.

Big disappointment with dealer service. Car still pulls to the right and I don't have the time or inclination to pay to have it done somewhere else.
Go to a different dealer. Have them take a look at it!

·
Registered
982 Posts

Is the toe on all the tires zero? That could mean dead on by their books but I doubt all of them were. My dealer set my fronts to zero and rears with toe in. Others have commented on having .1 toe in on the fronts as well as helping. Subaru allows a large range of play within their specs so definitely push to a different dealer one more time.

On the other hand my Suburban bought used at 95k pulled to the right with relatively new good years. It wasn't bad but when I rotated the tires it was drifting left and hard so I had Les Schwab align it. It still pulled left even after they verified it again. So we rotated the tires back so it only pulls to the right. 20k later I'm still waiting for them to wear out. If we lived in Europe I would have taken the drifting left :29:

I think this car steers just fine for what it is once aligned. Just a smidgen of play off center and goes where you point it predictably. Its easy to drive if you don't over drive it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Front left slight toe out, front right slight toe in. Both rears toe out. This (rears) was a concern to me but the dealer was unwilling to adjust as it was "in spec."
Is the toe on all the tires zero? That could mean dead on by their books but I doubt all of them were. My dealer set my fronts to zero and rears with toe in. Others have commented on having .1 toe in on the fronts as well as helping. Subaru allows a large range of play within their specs so definitely push to a different dealer one more time.

On the other hand my Suburban bought used at 95k pulled to the right with relatively new good years. It wasn't bad but when I rotated the tires it was drifting left and hard so I had Les Schwab align it. It still pulled left even after they verified it again. So we rotated the tires back so it only pulls to the right. 20k later I'm still waiting for them to wear out. If we lived in Europe I would have taken the drifting left :29:

I think this car steers just fine for what it is once aligned. Just a smidgen of play off center and goes where you point it predictably. Its easy to drive if you don't over drive it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Front left slight toe out, front right slight toe in. Both rears toe out. This (rears) was a concern to me but the dealer was unwilling to adjust as it was "in spec."
Toe out improves turn in at the sacrifice of straight line stability. You also have one front pointing the wrong way. Alignment Alignment Alignment, however there is no substitute for a sh***y dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE for anyone following this and other wandering threads - took car in for alignment check. Service tech went for drive with me so I could show him exactly what was happening. Alignment showed one toe was slightly off. They adjusted it and also rotated tires to play it safe. Highway driving is MUCH improved. I think there may be a very slight drift still on suburban roads but it could be the roads themselves. It is not enough to worry about. My only concern is that the tires may have also played role and I won't know till future rotations. Guess I'll deal with it if it happens.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Alignment!

·
Registered
572 Posts
UPDATE for anyone following this and other wandering threads - took car in for alignment check. Service tech went for drive with me so I could show him exactly what was happening. Alignment showed one toe was slightly off. They adjusted it and also rotated tires to play it safe. Highway driving is MUCH improved. I think there may be a very slight drift still on suburban roads but it could be the roads themselves. It is not enough to worry about. My only concern is that the tires may have also played role and I won't know till future rotations. Guess I'll deal with it if it happens.
Did they charge you for the alignment? With only 600 miles they should have done it free of charge. I would have pestered them to get it free of charge as it may have been in a wind storm on the car carrier or something and threw it off. Our old 2005 CRV that we traded for the Ooutback was notorious for going out of alignment. My hope is that the Outback does not do this too often. Our local Firestone svc center offers a good deal on Lifetime alignment. I plan to get that the first time it shows out of alignment as tires are to darned expensive to have them wear out on the sidewalls every 30K like in our CRV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did they charge you for the alignment? With only 600 miles they should have done it free of charge. I would have pestered them to get it free of charge as it may have been in a wind storm on the car carrier or something and threw it off. Our old 2005 CRV that we traded for the Ooutback was notorious for going out of alignment. My hope is that the Outback does not do this too often. Our local Firestone svc center offers a good deal on Lifetime alignment. I plan to get that the first time it shows out of alignment as tires are to darned expensive to have them wear out on the sidewalls every 30K like in our CRV
No, they didn't charge me. There was never any doubt that it would be covered.
I have used Firestone lifetime alignment on previous cars as well since I tend to keep my cars a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
snowbirdny
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing