Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update: Yakima Mega Warrior just wasn't right for me. It was a little shorter in length than I wanted and the extension was going to take it out past the sunroof in the front. It was also wider than the bases for the roof rack and every time I looked at it on the roof I couldn't help thinking that it looked like it had a Mickey Mouse hat on it the way the rack hung over the sides. Anyway, got rid of the Mega and ordered in the Yakima Load Warrior with the 18" extension. This system takes the rack all the way back to the hatch with enough room to open with no possible way of hitting it and it extends up into the sunroof opening about 1/3 of the way. It sits on top of the bases and looks proportionally correct width wise for the roof of the outback. This is going to work out to be a much better system for me. Here is a picture of the new setup.

.................................................................................................................................................

Mega Warrior

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
71 Posts
could you post a pic of your OB with the rear hatch opened? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
I think I got mine from etrailer & the price/shipping were probably the best I could find. I've got bike racks on top now on my OB but can switch out to this basket when needed. They're great at holding stuff in general.

·
Registered
White 2015 Premium ADF 2" lift. Previously, 2013 Pzev Ice metallic silver.
67 Posts
Basket or top box?

I think I got mine from etrailer & the price/shipping were probably the best I could find. I've got bike racks on top now on my OB but can switch out to this basket when needed. They're great at holding stuff in general.
Just got my 2013 Ice silver metallic last Friday. Trying to decide which is more useful: an enclosed box, or a basket like the one you've put on. How would you protect cargo in a basket from the elements; like a sudden downpour?
Looks outstanding by the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
25 Posts
…How would you protect cargo in a basket from the elements; like a sudden downpour?
If you don't wanna deal with a tarp to cover your items, I'd guess there's really no way. You may wanna look into a cargo box then if that's a major concern.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The gear I'm putting up there won't matter either way if it gets wet or not. 1/2 of the with on the top of the basket will be taken up by a kayak, the rest of it will have an EZ up canopy, rod holders, paddle, cooler, and other miscellaneous gear that won't matter but that I don't want to put inside the vehicle. Works good for my application. If you want weather and theft protection you need a box but then your limited with the contents by what will fit the interior dimensions. This was basically a lesser of the evils since Yakima hasn't come out with landing pads for the 2013 yet.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I have the same set-up for mine. The only slight downside is you can't use the 2013 rearward crossbar location with the extension.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited CVT
1 Posts
Thanks for the info and great photo examples!

Anyone know if the MegaWarrior with extension is possible? Or overkill?

And correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the stock MegaWarrior is nearly the same length as the LW+extension? It's just wider and the OP didn't like the look of that? I understand it from an aesthetic perspective, I suppose, but this is about function and imo wider is better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts