Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my 2013 OB has about 2k miles ( 3 months old), and has developed some weird issue w/ the moonroof. When i try opening it w/ the one touch button, it will not open bc it gets caught on something halfway, then bc of that returns to the closed position. The same thing happens when attempting to go from the fully open position to the fully closed position.

The only way i can close/open the moonroof successfully, is to keep tapping the open/close button until i get the moonroof close to the area of the track where it gets stuck, and keep the button down, to get the moonroof to grind thru that tight part of the track.

anyone else have this issue w/ their OB moonroof? is it something that's a simple fix that i can do, or this requires dealer attention?

thanks!

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I had a similar issue with the moonroof on my '08 Legacy GT. When using one touch to close it would sometimes stop and reopen as though something blocked it. Unfortunately it was very sporadic and I could never get the the dealer to duplicate it.

If this is a regular occurence, take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. That's what warranties are for. Most likely something is on the tracks or something is a little out of align.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Gen4 sun roof system is different than the old gen2 and 3 system.

I had this same issue with mine combination of cold temps and some dirt in the track.

If it will not open all the way close it and wait for a warm day - open it up all the way by pressing the switch not holding it down just giving it a one press for each stop till it comes to a complete stop. Then close it by giving it a single press each time it stops all the way till it tips up then tips down and is completely closed.

This is actually the reprogram mode where the switch relearns the stop points in the slide movement. Once you have done the single press for each stop which is some place around 10-12 presses of the switch the last step after it initially closes is the tip up and down full closed position which is still the single press on the slider button each time it stops. Once you have done this the tip up and down button will be activated again and the slide will do the single touch open and close function again.

I found that if the slider gets a little held up due to cold temps or grim in the track the load will cause the switch to loose its settings and you need to do the single touch on each stop to reteach the switch the positions of the sun roof. I've had to do this a couple of times only takes a minute or so to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gen4 sun roof system is different than the old gen2 and 3 system.

I had this same issue with mine combination of cold temps and some dirt in the track.

If it will not open all the way close it and wait for a warm day - open it up all the way by pressing the switch not holding it down just giving it a one press for each stop till it comes to a complete stop. Then close it by giving it a single press each time it stops all the way till it tips up then tips down and is completely closed.

This is actually the reprogram mode where the switch relearns the stop points in the slide movement. Once you have done the single press for each stop which is some place around 10-12 presses of the switch the last step after it initially closes is the tip up and down full closed position which is still the single press on the slider button each time it stops. Once you have done this the tip up and down button will be activated again and the slide will do the single touch open and close function again.

I found that if the slider gets a little held up due to cold temps or grim in the track the load will cause the switch to loose its settings and you need to do the single touch on each stop to reteach the switch the positions of the sun roof. I've had to do this a couple of times only takes a minute or so to do.
subiesailor,
you bring up a good point, when i was testing out the sunroof temperature was around mid 40s, I will try reprogramming method you mentioned and report back.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I had to take mine into the dealer the first time it did this cold day etc. Tech messed with it gave the car back didn't tell me about the reteach steps for the switch. I had to go back again about a week later and he showed me the reteach thing since then I've done it maybe 4 times. I haven't really looked close at the slide but each time it was cool out and this all started after a really hard rain my suspicion is that I need to get in there and clean out the moving bits as they are probably mucked up and the cold temps just gum up the works enough to trip the switch up probably caused by the load on the motor.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
1 Posts
Moon Roof Sticking

I've just registered to the site. We bought a new 2013 Limited, being winter, we never tried to open the moon roof. The salesman was showing us the features of the car and went open the moon roof. Well it would only drop down and open an inch. So, to the service department it went. Service manager stated that there is a TSB on moon roof sticking. I did not get a TSB number, or was it listed on the work order. Bottom line, moon roof rails were adjusted and the moon roof now works flawlessly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice call on the TSB. i hope that's what they find when I take the car to my dealer..made the appt to have them check it out.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
nice call on the TSB. i hope that's what they find when I take the car to my dealer..made the appt to have them check it out.
If it turns out to be some type of track adjustment let us know. I will be making another trip back to the dealer with some details on the track fix etc. As for now it stays closed on cold days and if needed I reprogram. Don't have time to keep going back to the dealer just to have them reprogram the switch

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it turns out to be some type of track adjustment let us know. I will be making another trip back to the dealer with some details on the track fix etc. As for now it stays closed on cold days and if needed I reprogram. Don't have time to keep going back to the dealer just to have them reprogram the switch
subiesailor. sure thing, i will let you guys know. yea, reprogramming every time is fubar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got the car back from dealer. they adjusted the track to fix the problem. thanks for your responses and help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another update, so temperatures ahve been hovering the 30s lately, and still having the isssue after getting the track re-aligned. called my service dept, and they told me the rubber seal around the moonroof can freeze over, and cause the moonroof to jam..

do your moonroofs go all the way back, or do they stop short of fully open by ~1/2 inch? I have to press the open button again after it the one touch stops where it thinks it's at the fully open position

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
The Gen 4's have always had a 1/2" or so more opening with another push of the button after auto open cycle.. That's normal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha oh really? i didn't notice that before, maybe bc i didn't pay attention to it. lol thanks!

The Gen 4's have always had a 1/2" or so more opening with another push of the button after auto open cycle.. That's normal.

·
Registered
2013, Outback, 2.5, SAP
2 Posts
had the same issue on our 2013 OB and the dealer adjusted the track/rail; no issues since then.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Had this happen to my 2011, had it fixed under warranty. If I buy another Outback I will pass on the sunroof next time :29:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
another update, so temperatures ahve been hovering the 30s lately, and still having the isssue after getting the track re-aligned. called my service dept, and they told me the rubber seal around the moonroof can freeze over, and cause the moonroof to jam..

do your moonroofs go all the way back, or do they stop short of fully open by ~1/2 inch? I have to press the open button again after it the one touch stops where it thinks it's at the fully open position
Ours 2010 with 48K on it sticks any time the temps are below about 50 we live in the SF Bay Area which 50 is or near norm for the winter due to the 50 degree pacific ocean. Once temps hit about mid to high 60's it works fine. However I do need to go through the relearn switch set up if I've tried to open it and it got stuck half way. I think the rubber gasket between the glass and the rail it slides over is the main cause. It gets hard and sticky in the cold temps.

Once it warms up though it works fine. The relearn for the switch? Once it warms up 70's temps - press the open slide switch each time the sun roof stops. Keep going till it stops full open press one more to make sure - then do the same till its fully closed which happens after the tip up and tip down yes it will do this on the slider switch if it has lost its position memory and needs reprogramming. Once you have done the full open and full close process pressing the slider switch each time it stops it should have relearned the positions and the tip up and down switch will now be active again. As will be the single touch to open and close for the slider. Takes about a minute to do I've done it a few times not really a big deal.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Wagon
3 Posts
My 2012 seems to be doing the same thing. My wife took it to the dealer for scheduled service this week and told them what it was doing. The dealer told her that the track was bad and needs replaced, to the tune of $1,800. This car has 40,300 miles on it, serviced religiously, and had a 30,000 mile inspection that cost me $600. SOA has offered to knock $800 off since I'm barely out of warranty as a "good faith gesture" but $1,000 still seems quite high to me.

Has anyone had any issues like this or have any suggestions on how to proceed?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Look at the rail/track - does it look bent? Did something fall on it while the sunroof was open? If it's bent, you can try to straighten it (assuming it's metal or aluminum) with some plastic blocks (like the ones, that you would use to install hardwood or laminate flooring)...start with cleaning it and lubricating it...(tracks that is)

·
Registered
2012 Outback Wagon
3 Posts
Look at the rail/track - does it look bent? Did something fall on it while the sunroof was open? If it's bent, you can try to straighten it with some plastic blocks (like the ones, that you would use to install hardwood or laminate flooring)...start with cleaning it and lubricating it...(tracks that is)
Nothing has fallen on it while it was open. I will inspect tonight to see if it is bent. Thank you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had to replace the track on my previous car, it was plastic in places and broke. I bought the rail assembly for 200 bucks and did it myself, dealer wanted $2000.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts