Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Satin White 2.5 Limited w SAP, Puddle Lights, Rear Seat Back Protector
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to do my 1st O/F change on my 2013. Can't find oil filter part # listed anywhere for 2013 2.5l. So, I assumed that, since this engine was in the Forester, it would be logical that the OF for the 2013 outback 2.5 is the same as the 2012 Forester. So, I bought a mobile 1 filter for last year's Forester, popped the hood, and they are not the same physically?!

The 13 Outback 2.5l filter is taller and skinner than the 12 Forester 2.5l filter.

Does anyone have any part # from any manufacturer for a oil filter for the 2013 2.5l OB engine?

Thanks in advance! Lou

P.S. 1st Subaru and really loving it! Thanks for all the great info here that helped w our buying decision.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
How on earth did you rack up that many miles so quickly?!

And I'd just get a filter from the dealer or one of the online Subaru vendors, since I have not yet seen an aftermarket filter for the 2013 Outback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that many miles. I am just a firm believer in doing a very early oil change in order to get rid of all the new engine grit as soon as feasible.

Going to get a filter from dealer today...

·
Registered
Mine: 2013 OB Premium 2.5 6-Speed, White, CW Package, Hitch, Aftermarket Leather. Wife: 2012 OB Limited 3.6R, White, Nav, HK, Moonroof.
61 Posts
Getting ready to do my 1st O/F change on my 2013. Can't find oil filter part # listed anywhere for 2013 2.5l. So, I assumed that, since this engine was in the Forester, it would be logical that the OF for the 2013 outback 2.5 is the same as the 2012 Forester. So, I bought a mobile 1 filter for last year's Forester, popped the hood, and they are not the same physically?!

The 13 Outback 2.5l filter is taller and skinner than the 12 Forester 2.5l filter.

Does anyone have any part # from any manufacturer for a oil filter for the 2013 2.5l OB engine?

Thanks in advance! Lou

P.S. 1st Subaru and really loving it! Thanks for all the great info here that helped w our buying decision.
I found exactly the same thing. Went to buy a Bosch filter for my wife's 3.6 and, since my 2.5 is on order, decided to check the fitment for the 2.5 '12 Forrester as well (understandably, there was no listing for the '13 OB yet). Like you, I assume the '12 Forrester and '13 OB should use the same filter. What I found was the same filter was specified for both the 3.6 and FB 2.5.
Before my dealer got a '13 OB in for a test drive, I had inspected a '12 Forrester just to look at the engine. Importantly, it too had a skinnier filter. So, what I'm saying is the filter you purchased may be correct one for the '13 OB, even though it doesn't look quite the same...but I fully understand your concern. While you can compare the old and new filters to confirm that the threads and gasket diameter are the same, there can be mechanical differences inside the filter (especially whether or not it has an anti-drain back valve) which you can't determine by externally inspecting the filter. One suggestion would be to call your dealer's parts department and confirm whether the two vehicles use the same filter. If the answer is yes, that might increase your confidence in the Mobil 1 filter you purchased.

When you decide whether to try that filter or get a genuine replacement, please let us know how the oil change goes - I'm worried they'll be a oily mess when you remove the old filter from the top of the engine. Hope that's not the case. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the idea on the question to ask the parts department.

I already drained the oil and refilled, just haven't changed the filter yet.

However, after draining the oil, I gingerly removed the filter because I couldn't read the part number the way it was screwed on (old eyes don't help either). There was no messy drain out.

I have another vehicle which has an after market upside down filter mount in the engine bay similar to this and never had a problem with that one either - so I wasn't too worried about there being a mess. My opinion is that those that have a problem with the mess, take the filter off before draining the engine and / or loosening the filler cap.

The new filter I have fits, but I put the old one back on until I confirm that the new one is ok or get another one that's definitely ok.

This was the easiest initial oil change I've done on any vehicle. Got a fumoto valve on too - so we're good to go.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I don't have that many miles. I am just a firm believer in doing a very early oil change in order to get rid of all the new engine grit as soon as feasible.

Going to get a filter from dealer today...
To each their own but it's definitely not necessary in today's engines. I used to rebuild 350's and can tell you some stories, but today engines and oil is much different. Changes before 1000 miles can actually cause problems for you by they way.

·
Registered
Mine: 2013 OB Premium 2.5 6-Speed, White, CW Package, Hitch, Aftermarket Leather. Wife: 2012 OB Limited 3.6R, White, Nav, HK, Moonroof.
61 Posts
Thanks very much for the idea on the question to ask the parts department.

I already drained the oil and refilled, just haven't changed the filter yet.

However, after draining the oil, I gingerly removed the filter because I couldn't read the part number the way it was screwed on (old eyes don't help either). There was no messy drain out.

I have another vehicle which has an after market upside down filter mount in the engine bay similar to this and never had a problem with that one either - so I wasn't too worried about there being a mess. My opinion is that those that have a problem with the mess, take the filter off before draining the engine and / or loosening the filler cap.

The new filter I have fits, but I put the old one back on until I confirm that the new one is ok or get another one that's definitely ok.

This was the easiest initial oil change I've done on any vehicle. Got a fumoto valve on too - so we're good to go.
Thanks for the good news about the non-messy oil changes. Oil change intervals are longer today, but on the OB 3.6R one is REQUIRED at 3k miles and again at 7.5k. And Subaru strongly recommends synthetic oil, so they must believe good, clean oil is critical to the engine. The 2.5 is similar in design. Thus, I'm in your camp about early oil changes for a new engine. Changed our '12s at 1200 and 5600 miles. It now has 10.5k and I just added about .25 qts, which I consider a good sign because a bit of oil should be used to lube the upper end of the engine (pistons, rings, valve guides). Some folks would say their engine uses no oil between changes, but that's probably because of contamination keeping the level even. I'll change the oil again when the vehicle gets to ~12k and probably follow a ~6k interval after that. All our vehicles (okay, except the '75 Scout) enjoy Mobil 1 from birth or acquisition. Please let us know what the dealer says. And what's a "fumoto" valve? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fumoto valve

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

It's a ball valve actuated drain valv Here is a pic. The lever is on the back side. The red clip is a safety clip to keep it from opening in case anything hits the lever.

No affiliation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2013 Outback 2.5l Oil Filter part number is...

15208AA15A. According to the parts guy, it is different than that for the 2012 Forester non-turbo 2.5l. He did not have any in stock and noted that I caught him with his pants down (thank gawd I wasn't looking). He promised to have them in stock on Tuesday. This is the same part number on my filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
15208AA15A. According to the parts guy, it is different than that for the 2012 Forester non-turbo 2.5l. He did not have any in stock and noted that I caught him with his pants down (thank gawd I wasn't looking). He promised to have them in stock on Tuesday. This is the same part number on my filter.
Thanks oldboy. Very helpful info. Perhaps you should post it on the 'big" '13 OB site?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! What is the "big" 13 OB site?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow! What is the "big" 13 OB site?
Looks like there were only three of us interested in "maintenance" and we haven't eclipsed 2 pages yet. The "main" site (below) is up to page 211 and I think some folks might be interested in what you found.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/43682-official-2013-outback-info-211.html

BTW, I went on the Subaru Website and looked up the part number your provided. The site indicates that it's a valid number, and it's for a filter, but doesn't identify what vehicle it's for. I believe that's because they haven't loaded 2013 model year data yet.

I suspect the filter you bought at the parts store would work just fine, but the genuine Subie filter is probably cheaper - just over $6 on the Web site. I'll probably just buy a handful or so every time I'm near the dealership (which is 67 miles away).

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Nevermind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I originally posted in that thread and it was politely suggested that I start another one specifically on this topic.... I'm going to get a couple of those filters when they come in on Tuesday...

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
548 Posts
Am planning ahead also for my first oil change on the FB25 H4 and noticed something else.
Manual states oil capacity is 5.1 quarts with filter change.
Foresters for 2011 & 12 show 5.5 quarts.

Is this because of the different filter?
Would the Forester filter allow 5.5 quarts in the 2013 OBW?

For those of you who have changed their oil already how much oil did it hold and with which filter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am planning ahead also for my first oil change on the FB25 H4 and noticed something else.
Manual states oil capacity is 5.1 quarts with filter change.
Foresters for 2011 & 12 show 5.5 quarts.

Is this because of the different filter?
Would the Forester filter allow 5.5 quarts in the 2013 OBW?

For those of you who have changed their oil already how much oil did it hold and with which filter?
Sorry for the slow response. I haven't been checking this thread very often. I just made my first oil change at 1600 miles. Don't you know, the dealer gave me the wrong filter (the one for the Forrester) and I had to drive 140 miles round trip to get the correct one (aftermarket doesn't have a listing yet). Anyway, I put in 5 quarts (one large jug) of Mobil 1 and an additional three ounces of the same. It shows slightly overfull (perhaps a quarter to a third of an inch) on the stick. I'm bringing the Subie in Wednesday so the dealer can check a rattle in the suspension and I'm going to ask about the capacity then. BTW, I let the oil drain for almost half an hour, so I got the factory fill out about as best I reasonably could. I did notice that the line from the filter housing drains quite slowly, hence the long drain time.

Oh, and I can unequivocally confirm that the '13 OB filter is LARGER than the Forrester's. So the filter does not explain the capacity difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned the 4cyl filter is 15208AA15A for sure, We updated our filter section for the 2013 here https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/index.php?cPath=32_108_152

Also came across the service procedure, section 11-13 (Changing Oil/Filter) Subaru Technical Information System

Thanks , Benny
Does anyone know if the 15208AA15A is the only filter that fits the 2013 2.5L? I ordered 6 filters from these guys and they sent me 15208AA160 which looks slightly different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't know the answer to your question, but that part number for the filters you received is for the 2012 2 & 2.5l Impreza. I would call your dealer's parts dept. and ask....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.