Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 2.5i Outback has a front to back rocking motion after coming to a complete stop. It rocks front to back 2½ times. It is most noticeable after slowly decelerating for a stop. It is less noticeable but still occurs after hard breaking to a stop. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Go to the suspension section. The 2010-2012 OBs are known for horribly underdamped suspension... yes, if you are not uber-smooth and early with brake application, it will heave up and down (and fore-and-aft) when you do get it to a complete stop.

Some of the fore-aft motion is a sensory byproduct of the up-and-down rocking that happens when stopping. The rest of it is actual fore-aft movement that is due to all the rubber in the suspension.

Supposedly the 2013's are better, but some early-manufactured 2013's are reported to have 2012 suspension hardware installed. Soggier than corn flakes that have sat in milk for an hour...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - Went to the dealer and test drove 2013 Outback and 2013 Legacy for a comparison. Both had similar rocking motion after stopping. Apparently this is "normal behavior." Having driven older model subarus which had a solider ride than the 2013's, I wasn't expecting so much motion. The previous poster's descriptin of "soggier than cornflakes that sat in milk for an hour" is good description of the motion after stopping. Interestingly enough, I took the general manager for a drive to demonstrate the behavior and he admitted he had not noticed the behavior before although it was clearly present on the three 2013's we test drove. I suspect a lot of lot of other drivers simply haven't noticed it either. Personally, I think there is still room for improvement on the suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts