Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 OB won't stay paired with iphone Xr

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Cicliste 
#1 ·
Verizon phones never had a problem staying paired until I got a Verizon iphone Xr last summer. I will NEVER stay paired and often requires 2 or sometimes 3 attempts at connected VIA bluetooth. Subaru screen says BT-A NO DEVICE. I have tried google search ideas and none have worked so far. I have rebooted iphone many times. I need new ideas.

#3 ·
I bought my 2013 new and the manual said the bluetooth would work better and have more features with I-phone than with Android. All of my Android phones work fine in the car. I always figured that Apple paid to have that in the manual, just like my dishwasher came with a piece of paper threatening great unhappiness unless I used a particular brand of detergent.

#4 ·
These cars have 2 different connections, even if the password for both is the same - there is a Bluetooth Audio and a Bluetooth for Calls. BT-A No Device usually means that the audio system is not connected through BT for audio but can send and receive calls if that portion is connected. So next time it says that, see if you can make a call through the Bluetooth. If it does it just means you need to pair the bluetooth specifically through the audio pairing portion of the software to get rid of that notification.

#8 ·
Avenger, my problem has stayed fixed with your advice. I really appreciate it. Too bad that the owners manual had none of this information published. Subaru customer care was worthless and gave me the same bad information twice! Also, with the oil burning of my OB 2.5i, they lost me as a customer years ago.

#10 ·
The head is 10 yrs old and it's going to have issues connecting with newer phones. I have an XR and even with the cable it doesn't display the correct songs when playing most of the time. We are upgrading to an Alpine Carplay unit to fix those issues and have access to apple maps on a slightly larger (7") screen.

#11 ·
Had this exact problem with a 2013 OB Premium. The car works absolutely perfectly but I do make lots of calls from it so a good hands-free setup is key. Took it to the dealer. They explained that Bluetooth has changed quite a bit since 2013 and many of the modern phones have trouble staying connected to the 4th-gen electronics. They said a replacement OEM radio (very expensive!!!) might help, but a much better bet would just be to get a new head unit altogether. So I did: got a Kenwood with Bluetooth, GPS nav, yadda yadda. The hands-free phone is now crystal clear and totally bombproof. So maybe it would make sense for you to go a similar route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.