Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. new to this forum.
I own a 2013 Outback, which I love. I have noticed on 2 different occasions my low oil light (the yellow light with the wavy line under it) on when coming out of a pass, mountains etc. It has come on when in drive, and also when in manual using the paddle-shifters through the pass. Has anyone else experienced this? I brought it up at a oil change months ago and they just kinda pushed it off, and then this pass week I drove through the same pass..and once again the light came on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
What kind of altitude are you hitting? Would that affect oil pressure?

Would it help to run a more/less viscous oil for that type of conditions? If the air's getting thin and you dont have a turbo then maybe you're starving the engine a bit.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Maybe not refilled all the way and your hovering right above the trigger point add some steep climbing and the level drops enough to trigger the sensor?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ ZealotReign, sadly I'm on hitting 4200 feet, but coming from Sea level.. would 4200 seriously trigger the light (kinda sad).

@Subiesailor, I wondered the same thing. If b/c of the climbing the light would be triggered. However, the light came on for me, coming down out of the pass..whereas, for my hubby, it came on climbing the pass..

I guess I'm just perplexed about this.. and for Subaru's service dept. to think nothing of it, I just wondered if anyone else has had this issue..
Thanks to bot of you!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
@ ZealotReign, sadly I'm on hitting 4200 feet, but coming from Sea level.. would 4200 seriously trigger the light (kinda sad).

@Subiesailor, I wondered the same thing. If b/c of the climbing the light would be triggered. However, the light came on for me, coming down out of the pass..whereas, for my hubby, it came on climbing the pass..

I guess I'm just perplexed about this.. and for Subaru's service dept. to think nothing of it, I just wondered if anyone else has had this issue..
Thanks to bot of you!
Well its possible if the oil level is just a hair above the trigger point any tilt be it nose down or tail down might be enough to trip the oil level light. I've changed the oil enough times in the subaru to say its really not that hard to think you have it topped up and find that its still shy of being 100%. That would be the most common cause assuming its the level thats tripping the light. Vs say something else like oil pressure dropping off.

No over heat light on the left right?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Is this light tied to oil level in 2013? In my 2005 it is only related to oil pressure.

I would not take this lightly. You are under warranty, and they need to address it. If you don't tell them, any resulting issues could be your fault (low oil level).

You never mentioned - did you check the oil level before or after?

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
Hi, assuming the oil level at max full. Please verify.

How many miles on the car?

When does the light come on? Are you decelerating for a long period? Or does it occur while accelerating? Are you cornering, like a long sweeping curve?

It could be oil pick up tube related. Either cracked or not connected. Just a thought.

EFM

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hi, assuming the oil level at max full. Please verify.

How many miles on the car?

When does the light come on? Are you decelerating for a long period? Or does it occur while accelerating? Are you cornering, like a long sweeping curve?

It could be oil pick up tube related. Either cracked or not connected. Just a thought.

EFM
Good point about the pick up tube. Though no one can say till its clear that it had enough oil in it to start with.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all your comments!! I plan on readdressing this issue with Subaru when I go in for my oil change on the 12th. I brought it up at the 3500 mile oil change to which I was told "Keep an eye on it, and let me know if it happens again" If the light was still on, by the time I reached the dealer where I bought it, coming home from our vacation, I planned on stopping by; However the light was out. I made sure to take a pic, simply to show the service dept. it's not a farce. :)
I did check my oil levels prior to heading out on my road trip, as well as returning and it was fine, & no, there was no over heating. I was sure to not use the AC in the pass.
The car currently has 10,700 miles on it. I have gone in for all routine maintenance thru Subaru. There was no cornering, or sweeping curves. The Alpine Mtn. pass from Yuma AZ., to San Diego, CA. sea level to 4200 max.

Again.. Thanks to you all for your comments!! I will be sure to bring up this "pick up tube" when I take it in.
I'm originally from Idaho, and I hate to think when we take my Subie back "home" this summer we will encounter this issue again, seeing how 4200 is a mild elevation in comparison. ;-)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just saw the oil light come on my 2013, with 3900 miles on it. I was driving very easily on flat terrain near sea level. I checked the oil level and it seemed close the bottom hole on the dipstick. It's hard to tell, though, because that dipstick sucks to read. I added a 1/2 quart and haven't seen it again. This all happened about a week ago.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
They will consume oil until the rings break in, usually the first two oil changes. By then the oil consumption can be anything from 1 qt every 5k to zilch.

Maybe this is a bad switch, but the randomness of it, i don't think so.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Thank you everyone for all your comments!! I plan on readdressing this issue with Subaru when I go in for my oil change on the 12th. I brought it up at the 3500 mile oil change to which I was told "Keep an eye on it, and let me know if it happens again" If the light was still on, by the time I reached the dealer where I bought it, coming home from our vacation, I planned on stopping by; However the light was out. I made sure to take a pic, simply to show the service dept. it's not a farce. :)
I did check my oil levels prior to heading out on my road trip, as well as returning and it was fine, & no, there was no over heating. I was sure to not use the AC in the pass.
The car currently has 10,700 miles on it. I have gone in for all routine maintenance thru Subaru. There was no cornering, or sweeping curves. The Alpine Mtn. pass from Yuma AZ., to San Diego, CA. sea level to 4200 max.

Again.. Thanks to you all for your comments!! I will be sure to bring up this "pick up tube" when I take it in.
I'm originally from Idaho, and I hate to think when we take my Subie back "home" this summer we will encounter this issue again, seeing how 4200 is a mild elevation in comparison. ;-)
The oil level light is triggered by a simple float switch. It may be that the float or switch are defective in your car. It could be as simple as a bent arm to the float.

Replacement looks to be pretty straightforward, from the pictures in the repair manual. If you continue to have the issue, ask the dealer to replace the switch. Or make a complaint to SOA directly.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Really, a oil level light with a float?

Interesting, I will file that away in my head :)

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
Just got a call from my BFF and her 2013 Outback Base 2.5 oil light came on. She was coming down from Medford, OR over the Siskiyou pass at 4311' on the I-5 to Redding and it came on in just before Dunsmuir at 2350'. When I spoke to her she didn't think the oil was low, although found the dipstick hard to interpret. I wasn't much help since I've never seen one. She went a little further down the road and called me back to say the light had gone off.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Really, a oil level light with a float?

Interesting, I will file that away in my head :)
Yup, surprised me too but it's turning up in a lot of new cars. Oil change intervals are getting extended further out and Americans won't pull a dipstick to save their own lives never mind that of a car, so a low oil level light is the 'in thing'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had this happen to me too. 1/2 hr into the road trip this past weekend, cruise set at 75mph. 2013 2.5 ltd, ~3800 miles on the odometer.

I stopped and check the oil level and it was 1/2 way between the dots. Started back up, and the light went away, only to return about 20 mins later. This time I was close to a gas station and decided to top it off. I had to get 5w-30 syn blend, as it was the closest thing they had on the shelves. Only took 1/2 quart to get it back up to the top dot. And the light did not come back on for the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i
4 Posts
Was anyone affected by this at a wierd angle (uphill/downhill) or in the middle of hard acceleration or braking?

My experience with the EJ engine (older subarus) and the oil sump is that under hard accel/deacceleratinon or hard turning the oil will move all around alot. The pick up is normally fine if the engine has about 4 - 4.5 qts of oil. A friend was able to trigger the oil pressure light(a much bigger issue) on a older suby with a combo of hard driving and 3 to 3.5 qts of oil in the engine. There were oil pickup tube issues too, but these caused pressure issues and oil light 'flicker'

Since the FB engine is mostly the same in terms of quantity of oil and sump design and those seeing the issue have enough oil... I'm thinking the switch/float/sensor is a little 'twichy'. I haven't had the plesure of seeing it on my OB yet, but I'm very cautious about oil levels and never let it drop more then half way between dots after sitting for 30min.

My thinking and plans on the light now that I have a '13:

-Level light on under hard acceleration, turning, > 5 degree hills... Disregard and check level at next gas fillup.

-Level light on when stopped or in neutral acceleration... Go easy on the driving, check oil at next stop, fill accordingly.

-Level light on followed by Oil pressure light... Freak the <blank> out :gasp: and stop car immediately. Check oil and look for leaks.

Wouldn't be surprised if a minor revision to the part or a replacement is offered under a TSB in the next two years.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
On an unrelated issue, I keep getting audio/voice warnings: "Lost satellite connection" quite often now even though the pointer on the map display keeps moving as the car moves...when I check the satellites (on NAV program display), they are OK and all engaged... not sure what this audible warning is about then....

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
It happened again today! My BFF drove up halfway, to about 2760', then back to Redding and it came on again on the way up, then went off when she returned and stayed off. She checked her level this morning when she went out to the car after it sat all night and it was fine, before her trip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts