Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a 2-week vacation from Oregon down thru the Redwoods to San Fran then Big Sur and Socal and then back home via 395 (east of Sierra's and Cascades. All kinds of driving conditions.

2013 2.5 basic CVT Outback is a month old now, I own a small teardrop camper (weighs 900lbs, 1100-1200 loaded) the Outback towed it easily and on the entire trip I avergaed 21-23 MPG when towing (very happy with that!) - averaged 23 MPG in higher altitude (4000-7000 ft on the way home). Only on a few steeper grades (leaving LA and from Bishop to Sherwin summit) did I feel the load as the sweetspot seemed to be about 50mph at just over 3000 RPM with the CVT. Most avergae grades I did at 60 MPH with no probs, I had a Curt aftermarket hitch installed.

Love the car so far, towing was a breeze with the weight I had to tow. Very happy with the towing mileage.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I get very similar mileage with our 980lb empty 4x6 utility/tent trailer though the upper end for us has been 25-26mpg in areas like say 101 north of San Francisco where speeds run about 50-60mph however that is with 30,000+ miles on the car very possible you will see some improvement on the mileage as you get a few miles on the car.

My bottom end for mileage was identical to yours about 21mpg on the hard climbs

Windage for sure seems to play a big role. I had a large racing sailboat for many years and towed it with the OB a number of times 21ft long 8.5ft wide 1700lbs empty with trailer behind the car it sat about even with the roof line on the OB regarding height so probably not dramatically different than your tear drop regarding height but probably wider at 8.5ft.

My bottom range mileage was 16mpg with a head wind at 70mph I5 north for example headed to Redding Ca etc. Upper end was 60-65mph flat towing with a tail wind or zero wind running about 23mpg. Still better than our landcruiser which we used to tow on the really heavily packed and long hot climb trips at 12mpg. LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing