Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2.5 L H4 Subaru Outback 2013 Manual Trans.
List below is what manual shows for 60,000 mi maintenance...with my notes regarding status or questionable....
Before I looked at manual and started getting general info about this maintenance was told by my mechanic of 20 years that Cost would be $1,000....of course we laughed in his face, he told tech doing oil change and state inspection we would....of course....
My query is for those who take a look at my checklist/notes below based from our manual...I am assuming inspections may be a good thing we have a long trip coming in one month....
I am most unsure about a forum suggestion on plugs to wait if you are not experiencing trouble (we are not), if brake fluid can wait til brake pads replaced (the forum thread suggested it would be needed shortly anyway), are wheel bearings generally inspected when rotated and aligned? Just done and mechanic is the one who does our tires so that's free, ....
Any input welcome to help us with costs....
Also, We are in Virginia and just had State inspection done so not sure if some of this already checked...

Engine oil/filter - just changed
*Air cleaner element - believe just changed?
Rotate and inspect tires - just done
Brake lines, parking/service brakes - inspect ( was this done for state inspection just?)
**Brake and clutch fluid ...replace brake fluid if pads need or are near needing replacement change brake fluid then was suggested at forum ...is clutch fluid replacement necessary or just inspect?
Drive belts - inspect
Fuel system lines and connections - inspect
Cooling system hoses and connections - inspect
Clutch operation - Inspect
Transmission gear oil - inspect
CVT fluid - inspect
Front and rear differential gear oil - inspect
Disc brake pad & disc, front/rear axle boots & joints - inspect
Steering and suspension - inspect
**Spark plugs - only if car running rough, as needed or can wait
***Timing belt (turbo model) - - inspect....do we have this?
**Wheel bearing inspect - inspect ( was this done when rotated and aligned?)

***HVAC system AC filter - when last done?...every 15k mi. ....

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,475 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission? If not, no clutch fluid to replace or clutch to inspect.
No timing belt, your 2013 has the FB25 engine which has a timing chain.

The rest are "inspect" items, which many dealers claim to check during an oil change.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
The spark plugs are 100k miles. I wouldn't touch them.

Brake fluid should be replaced if it's never been.

The CVT fluid should not be messed with at this point; Sunarunsays to leave it alone, and you probably have 100000 mile Warranty on it anyway.

Reactions: TJ Miller

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited 2.5im 2012 Impreza Limited
74 Posts
" Front and rear differential gear oil - inspect "

At 60K, if it has not been done, you should definitely change it IMO.

I had mine replaced with the Subaru synthetic at 10K. It has better specs than the standard non-synthetic. The mechanic said he thought it was a good idea, as he had changed his over as well. I did it at 10K to get all the initial wear metals out. Once the warranty is out, I will change both out to Amsoil synthetic. I have converted all fluids on my 2012 Impreza over already.

Have you been monitoring for engine oil consumption?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for support...successful ending....this why you find trusted mechanic and stay with for 20+ years....everything has already been done through regular maintenance and state inspection requirements...and he agreed about the plugs @ 100,000mi....thanks all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts