Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a filter and oil from the dealer (time for first oil change). The filter part # is 15208AA15A. What size filter wrench do I need for this filter?

I paid $70 at Carlsen Subaru for the filter and oil -- are there better prices online somewhere? I'm new to Subarus so I don't know where the enthusiasts buy their parts. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I got tired of having to buy a new filter wrench every few years because the auto manufacturers keep putting smaller and smaller filters on the cars so I bought a strap type wrench.
You loop a strap around the filter, pull it slightly tight back through the handle and pull the handle in the direction you want the filter to spin.
Mine is marketed by Pennzoil but they have lots to choose from at most parts stores.

$70 seems kind of expensive, I couldn't find any 0w20 around here so I bought 6 qts and 2 filters so I had a spare filter and qt at my dealer for something like $65 + tax

Walmart sells Mobil 1 in 5 qt jugs for $25 but they don't have 0w20 in stock around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I've never used a strap-type filter wrench (or any other filter wrench -- the cars I usually work on have metal housings held on with a bolt). Is there any way to use a torque wrench with a strap-type tool?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Strap might work on the 13 but not on the pre 13's where the bottom of the filter is the only thing accessible to a end wrench type part. The cheapie plastic one's are fine.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
I have used this for years, works great regardless of what type/size filter or how its oriented. Just an adjustable set of arms set on a plate that you drive with a socket set. I use it to change the oil on my 11 with an extension on the socket head.

Can buy generic ones at autzone/advance etc. This one is at sears:

Craftsman Universal Wrench, Auto-Adjustable: Save Time With Sears

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
I just picked up a filter and oil from the dealer (time for first oil change). The filter part # is 15208AA15A. What size filter wrench do I need for this filter?

I paid $70 at Carlsen Subaru for the filter and oil -- are there better prices online somewhere? I'm new to Subarus so I don't know where the enthusiasts buy their parts. :) Thanks!
Take your filter to the auto parts store and fit it yourself or they sell them in sets, the kind you can use a torque wrench on, And that's seems high for the oil!!! Never heard of anybody using a torque wrench on a oil filter.But I guess it could happen.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The 4EAT trans filter has a torque spec (at least the remote one on my H6 does), every engine filter I've seen has a 'turns-after-contact' spec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts