Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just purchased new 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited last week. Generally I like the car, but one thing is really bothering me as I believe interior quality must be perfect in a 30+K car.
I am not sure about the proper name for this part, it's a plastic cover between windshield and front door which does not sit tight (see pictures). When I press on it, it goes in place, but I cannot drive like that :)
What do you guys think, can dealer fix that? If not, what else can I do?

Thank you for your help.

OB_1.jpg

OB_2.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would bring it to the dealer. You could alsoslide a bit of carpet tape in there and press it together.

You really don't have a 30k car. You have a mid to low $20s car with $5-$8k in options/upgrades. The reality is that core components of the car are built so there is profit. Paint, drivetrain, core interior and construction etc.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't all fit properly, it absolutely should. Just the expectation that because it is $30k it should be higher quality is a probably not realistic.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I noticed this 'issue' on my OB as well shortly after I bought it. aside from this I have not really noted any other fitment/build issues, so I'm not going to make a stink about it. Was just going to ignore it, or fix it with some double-sided tape and call it good.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mine kept falling down. It needs to be removed to install the remote start, it's possible it wasn't reinstalled properly. My dealer replaced mine and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lol. I have this in my car also - its not dropping or anything but there is definately a gap on the driver side A pillar trim. Since it is pretty consistent I would say the mold making those things is off versus it being an assembly problem.

On a side note, my BMW's headliner and window trim constantly dropped and had to be re-glued in place. That is a $40K car with an even more annoying problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My Outback (2013 Ltd w/EyeSight) doesn't have the finish quality we have with more expensive Toyotas but I didn't expect it.

I felt I did like the earlier post said - buy a modest priced car but have it loaded with options. I have no problems with that as long as it's not a junk show rattle trap and reliable because it also has desirable aspects more expensive cars did not have.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have a rattle somewhere around this area. I have not pin pointed it yet so I will wait to find it before going to the dealer. I don't trust them not to say all seems ok if I leave it up to them to find it.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Almost, if not every OB I have been in 10-13 has had poor fitting A pillar trim. It's really thin plastic. My 12 Impreza fits snug, and that car was 20k loaded, so sometimes price is not a factor although I would bet a 50k Audi or Lexus does not have this issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine does as well. 2013 3.6R limited. Next time I head in for an oil service I will have them take a look at it.

Keep in mind this is happening with all manufacturers. In fact, my m-i-l mercedes has been in the shop almost as much as its been on the road.

At least Subaru issues are merely cosmetic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine has this, too. It is clearly a design problem, in which the roof part has a different radius than the plastic mold. I have seen European Outbacks (they are not made in Indiana) and they don't have this problem. It clearly indicates that Subaru o A adopted the American car engineering philosophy of "close enough/good enough"!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine has this as well as the the speaker grilles coming up on the right hand corners. Both of these were also on my 2011, so it's just the way they are built. Unfortunately the american built cars suffer from more panel gaps than foreign built cars. I see it everyday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have that as well on my new 2013 OB spa, i was frustrated just like you, 30K car and fit and finish so poor, oh well, haven't told the dealer yet about it, maybe i will, once i go for the next service. also its my wife's car, so i only get to see on weekends, it only bother me then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same thing and checked around and found it was common so I sort of forgot about it. I have had Hondas, Toyotas, Mercedes, Fords, Chevys, Cadys, Fiats, VWs, and a few others and I have always found something. On the Mercedes, my most expensive car, it was the cup holder that bugged me. I sort of consider this a middle of the road priced car and everything else so far has been great so, though it would be nice if it fit right, doesn't really bother me much. I may glue or tape it some day but not thinking about it doing it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
in addition to that, i have a screen bleed in corner of the nav. screen which is noticeable on dark background and even more at night. Talked to the tech at the dealership, told me cant do much other than taking the whole dash apart and putting a new one in. Ouch. so have to live with another thing, i guess.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have it on my 2012 too. The driver side speaker grill on the dash isn't exactly flush either, but I've learned to live with it I guess. I pointed it out when I brought the car back for a "re-PDI" after there was a number of things I wanted checked out, and they did exactly nothing about it. Maybe the dealer just stinks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
in addition to that, i have a screen bleed in corner of the nav. screen which is noticeable on dark background and even more at night. Talked to the tech at the dealership, told me cant do much other than taking the whole dash apart and putting a new one in. Ouch. so have to live with another thing, i guess.
Umm no that's a defect. Make them replace it. Or take a pic and send it to soa. Just wait till the cold nights get to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never noticed, and wouldn't have if you hadn't started this post. Clearly there is a mis-match but I won't be doing anything about it. It just doesn't rise to a level that is worth spending my time to have it fixed. I hope they can fix it for you.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I had my speaker (drivers side) replaced years ago due to warping and it has been fine since. My advice to folks with new 13's is get all cosmetic issues fixed asap. I was told the longer you waite the harder it is for your dealer to justify a fix for cosmetics. Example- My drivers seat was fraying about a year after I purchased the car. I had them replace the seat bottom and back cloth covers under warranty. Belive or not it's about 1k total for that job parts and labor.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
26 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing