Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car (2.5 Limited 2013) for a few months now with about 2600 miles. This car has/had quite a few rattles. Apparently people have sold cars because of these rattles (recent post 2011 ditched his ride), so I know there are problems with these cars (I have been through this with other cars/trucks, too (except the 3 BMWs, perfect no rattle cars).

I know people in other threads have mentioned issues separately, but I was hoping people would compile their rattles in this thread and explain how they solved them in the hopes of helping others. I'll start:

1. Problem: First rattle encountered was a vibration rattle from the rear-driver-side door when going over non-asphalt roads.

Solution: Turned out to be a thin metal strip held by two bolts about 6 in apart in the headliner just above the window in the cargo area. I got to the bolts by removing the rear trim pieces and tightened them down. Haven't heard anything since.

2.Problem: Dash rattle from the passenger side. Got increasingly worse so I had to do something. Every time I would accelerate, brake or go over semi-rough roads, this rattle would occur. Sounds similar to when you turn on/off your ventilation unit, there is a little click but occurs almost all the time.
Solution: Lowered the glove box and next to the cabin air filter, there is some sort of rectangular control box. I took some gorilla tape and anchored it to restrict its movement. That was yesterday afternoon and so far the rattle is gone.

3. Problem: Liftgate started creaking really bad. Could hear the vibration over all roads at low speeds and especially going into the driveway at an angle.
Solution for now: I moved the striker and greased the contact points per this forum's advice and creaking went away for one day. Then it came back driving home from work, called the dealer for an appt, but guess what? It went away that night after opening and closing the liftgate and hasn't been back since. I drove over speed bumps and driveways trying to replicate it and haven't heard it. Lost an hour of my life and wasted gas...yes I strive for a perfect not annoying car.

4. Problem: Rear-passenger door creaks when going over uneven surfaces. This one has driven me crazy!

No Solution, but tried: re-installing weather strip around the door frame reduced 60% of the rattle. Also took off the door panel and anchored anything down that makes a creak. But it still creaks, especially in the mornings. Maybe I'll move the door striker, haven't tried that yet.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps someone and hope someone can help me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wont the dealer handle any off these problems? It must be under warranty being that new. I would not touch that on my own with a warranty after shelling out that kind of cash for a new car... Hope you get a resolution on this..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer

Sure, I can't really complain about wasting my time if the dealer will fix it, but I figure by the time I drive to the dealer, do the paperwork, get a loaner and then drive back, I've wasted more time. I was able to solve all but one rattle, but I'm on it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Sure, I can't really complain about wasting my time if the dealer will fix it, but I figure by the time I drive to the dealer, do the paperwork, get a loaner and then drive back, I've wasted more time. I was able to solve all but one rattle, but I'm on it.
Cold temps make nearly all cars have some type of noise regarding parts working against each other.

All our subarus live more or less in pretty mild climate and have had zero issues regarding squeaky rattle bits etc. Our VW and Toyota on the other hand have more than I can keep track of.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I would use some good old W D - 40 and spray where the " creaking " noise eminates.......its worked for me..................but every noise is different.......worht a try....might save you a trip to dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Outback clicking near/behind glove box!

Bolocop,
I'm experiencing a similar clicking noise behind/near the glove box of my 2013 Outback. I've been to the service department at the Subaru dealership twice but they have not been able to rectify the clicking/problem. So, I removed the glove box and attempted to locate the "rectangular control box" that you mentioned was next to the "cabin air filter" but I could not locate it. Could you potentially give me some more detail?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a new '98 Outback Sport that had a rattle in the liftgate since new. After at least six warranty trips to the dealer and numerous DIY fixes I gave up . Subarus tend to be rattle traps.

·
Registered
2010 outback :o(
3 Posts
heat shield rattle at 135Kms. Dealer says $700 to replace CAT heat shield.
I will see if I can get it clamped instead. Lousy design! I like the car but now -- I think it will be changed for a Toyota soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts