Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 Outback on 7/18/12. Brought it home and that night I noticed the rear driver side door was not flush to the rear quarter panel. It is about 1/4-1/2" away. It gets further away at the bottom. The door is properly closed and all of the other doors sit flush.
Took it to the dealer and checked some other Outbacks. Most had a similar gap, but none as pronounced as mine. The service manager said, "well this must be normal and we don't adjust doors anyway." Anyone else notice this? I sent an email to Subaru and will let you know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I raised the same question on my '11. The general service manager and I checked many of the 12s on the lot and noticed many with the same or larger gap (left, right or both sides). If you check the 12 Outback brochure, at least one of the pictured OBs has a similar gap.
My GSM called the area Subaru rep, but haven't heard anything back yet. Looking at the construction of the hinge, it appears that there is no adjustment possible. Short of putting on the wheel arch trim to hide it somewhat, this is "normal", I guess. I don't want them unwelding and rewelding the door hinge, and I don't want a 13--no 3.6 Premium offered, and I don't want a Limited to just get the powered seat.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
It is the design. I have a early 10 and to sticks out and every other OB I have seen is the same.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
It is the design. I have a early 10 and to sticks out and every other OB I have seen is the same.
yup, same here w/ 12'

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
^^^^^ And my '11. If nothing else it does a good job of keeping the leading edge of the rear wheelwell from rock chips in the paint.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
^^^^^ And my '11. If nothing else it does a good job of keeping the leading edge of the rear wheelwell from rock chips in the paint.
That's how I first noticed it. Road spray on the door, but not on the wheelwell. The GSM and I looked at most of the 12s, and I had the brochure. it looks common. Even the one on the showroom floor that day.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
Looked at mine last night in the garage after reading this thread. Mine is the same way, but a very very small amount...less than 1/4 inch on both sides. I probably would never have noticed it if I hadn't read this thread.

Honestly, I don't care. Doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't affect the functionality of the doors, and it's such a small amount that it sticks out that it's hardly noticeable. If I were getting wind noise or water leaking in I'd care, but short of that...meh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same situation on my '11. This is an intentional design element of the Outback. However, if you don't have the raised edge on both sides, well, that is not supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine sticks out too.
Someone at the engineering department got the sheet-metal die that forms the door a half-bubble off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm mainly worried about leaks or snow/ice getting in there, but if that doesn't seem to be a problem I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for all the replies

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I'm mainly worried about leaks or snow/ice getting in there, but if that doesn't seem to be a problem I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for all the replies
While we haven't had a lot of rain, washing the OB hasn't resulted in any kind of a leak. (Snow--what's that?--did not get to snow country this last year at all with the OB, and it generally doesn't snow in the central valley.)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
This was discussed before for the MY 2011's. I think the consensus then was that it was to accommodate the wheel arch moldings. Without the gap, the wheel arch moldings would stick out and reduce fuel efficiency, increase wind noise, and gather crud on their leading edge.

Andrew

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was discussed before for the MY 2011's. I think the consensus then was that it was to accommodate the wheel arch moldings. Without the gap, the wheel arch moldings would stick out and reduce fuel efficiency, increase wind noise, and gather crud on their leading edge.

Andrew
But why is it only on one side? The passenger side was flush. Same with the 5 other Outbacks I checked on the lot. Gap on the driver side rear, none on passenger side

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl
413 Posts
But why is it only on one side? The passenger side was flush. Same with the 5 other Outbacks I checked on the lot. Gap on the driver side rear, none on passenger side
Now that I can't explain. I went out and checked my 2011 again and it has the same gap on both sides.

Does anyone have a picture of this issue on their 2013 (both sides)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people are seeing.

Andrew

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
Now that I can't explain. I went out and checked my 2011 again and it has the same gap on both sides.

Does anyone have a picture of this issue on their 2013 (both sides)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people are seeing.

Andrew
I was going to ask the same thing, my 2010 does not seem to have this problem. A couple of photos would help. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heard back from SOA. Basically they said that it is not a defect, ie normal, and they couldn't adjust it anyway. The margin of error is too small to attempt. Thanks for all the replies!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts