Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Outback and always apply the parking brake (have done so on all my vehicles, standard or auto). Came outside after a few hours and my car had a faint "buzzing" sound coming from the rear. I disconnected the parking brake and reapplied it, the sound disappeared with no recurrence. The car only has 2,000km on it. Anyone else had any issues?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am like you and set the parking brake every time I park it. Left over habit from driving manual trans cars for many years. I have never had an issue like that. I have probably set and released the elec parking brake 2000+ times in the year and a half I have owned it.

Could be something to keep an eye on, there might have been some grit or something on the screw drive that interfered with it getting to its full lock position? The only things in the rear end that buzz on mine are the fuel pump (can be heard between turning the key from off to acc/on to start and the parking brake drive motor. But I have never heard any noise when the car is idle or parked and I am not in it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have a 2013 Outback and always apply the parking brake (have done so on all my vehicles, standard or auto). Came outside after a few hours and my car had a faint "buzzing" sound coming from the rear. I disconnected the parking brake and reapplied it, the sound disappeared with no recurrence. The car only has 2,000km on it. Anyone else had any issues?
40,000 miles and my standard day it gets activated about 8 times a day no issues. The mechanism is for the most part identical to the standard pull handle only a small electric winch is doing the pulling for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep you posted if it reappears. Getting the snows on next week so I'll have them look at it when the wheels are off. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely not the fuel pump but I appreciate the suggestion. The car had been turned off for over 3 hours and I only heard the noise as I was walking by it late at night (so no ambient noise). Looks like it might be unique to my car but since it only did it once, it may also be a non issue. I'll let you folks know.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Definitely not the fuel pump but I appreciate the suggestion. The car had been turned off for over 3 hours and I only heard the noise as I was walking by it late at night (so no ambient noise). Looks like it might be unique to my car but since it only did it once, it may also be a non issue. I'll let you folks know.
Did you read the link I posted? :confused:

Ok, what you are hearing the vehicles evaporative system running a self check...there is a vacuum pump that pressurizes the fuel/evap system to test it's integrity, you are hearing the pump run. It will only run after the car has been sitting for over 4 hours. It will not kill your battery, the noise is normal!
I have had more than a few people coming into my dealership asking the same question so , you're not alone.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
It says somewhere in the manual that the car will cycle a program or two after sitting a couple hours. I don't remember what its for but its normal and most people are never around to hear it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It says somewhere in the manual that the car will cycle a program or two after sitting a couple hours. I don't remember what its for but its normal and most people are never around to hear it.
Smog pump - dealing with fuel vapor. Nothing to do with the parking brake

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this thread from the dead:

I've got a 15 Legacy and heard this noise tonight - even took a video of it. I assumed like the OP that the noise was the parking brake. Turned the car onto acc and back off, the noise went away, didn't touch the parking brake.

OP - can you confirm that the noise is as others have suggested and that you're having no issues?

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
jds685
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing