Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 limited (past: 2009 OB Special Edition; unknown late 70's-early 80's wagon
48 Posts
Dealer says $5,000 to replace engine short block. It is 4 cylinder, 2.6L with 80K miles on it. Not sure whether it is worth to spend it or not.

Dealer did not give me a reason for failure. Just say it could be some internal failure and it is not under warranty. No warning signs at all. While driving on interstate highway, suddenly heavy smoke came and engine not responding. I very rarely hit 4k rpm...normally drive between 2k to 3k rpm.

What are the common causes for engine crack? What questions should I ask them? Could it be a manufacturing defect, which can be covered (but deals says they do not, but how come an engine fail so badly risking injuries)?

Appreciate your insights.

Thanks!

2013 Subaru Outback
2.4L, 4 cylinder
80K miles
Be careful. That prices sounds like you might be getting something used, just waiting to blow

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 limited (past: 2009 OB Special Edition; unknown late 70's-early 80's wagon
48 Posts
I'
If it was my vehicle I would take the SOA offer of $2500 for the new installed short block at the dealer.

This way you get a new engine casing and pistons, crankshaft, connecting rods etc (most of the wearing parts in the engine) AND they will also reinstall the front engine cover using the improved sealing method. Nearly every FB25 front engine cover leaks and a reseal on this cover in a workshop costs around $1,000 due to the process and time taken.

Seagrass
I'm about to make that decision myself. But, the 2010 did not have the oil burning problem. SOA has offered me a $1000 coupon toward a BRAND new Subaru; they said the 2010 is just too old.

Without looking, I think Midland Subaru is carging $8300 + tax for a brand new short block. They checked all of the other major systems, the suspension, etc., and found everything in good condition. So, the nee short block will be used with other existing parts.

Excuse me SOA, are you telling me lovely maintained car had a 10 yr expiration date? I love my car, but that attitudevalone steers me away from ever nuying another Subaru

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think 50% is beyond fair.

Sometimes vehicle owners need to be responsible for their own repairs..............
I think SOA is paying 50% to drop used block (something they check that is working now but waiting to blow)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think SOA is paying 50% to drop used block (something they check that is working now but waiting to blow)
The dealer has nothing to gain by putting a used short block in. They will put in a new short block and if anything goes wrong with it, Subaru will replace it and pay them to do it again.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
A used short block makes zero sense. As I recall Subaru dealer repairs come with a 12 month warranty. Why would they risk rework by installing a used short block.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A used short block makes zero sense. As I recall Subaru dealer repairs come with a 12 month warranty. Why would they risk rework by installing a used short block.
My car is a 2010. There is no more warranty

·
Registered
48 Posts
My car is a 2010. There is no more warranty
Mine hasn't been repaired yet, at least not for blwn head gasket/cracked block. And yes. There is a garantee that comes with the work (??? maybe 2 yrs), even though my 2010 has no more warranties

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine hasn't been repaired yet, at least not for blwn head gasket/cracked block. And yes. There is a garantee that comes with the work (??? maybe 2 yrs), even though my 2010 has no more warranties
The 1 year warranty was for a used (check over) short block with 85k miles on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I absolutel will NOT go with used short block. Brand new omly, or kiss the car goodbue

41 - 50 of 50 Posts