Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the last few months, when I lift the latch on the floor to open the fuel filler door, the door does open ok, but the handle in the car feels a bit harder to pull up and sticks in the "up" position. It may be getting stickier over time. It's not frozen, this has been happening in our current 70+ degree weather.

I'm not much of a pull-everything-apart guy at least for starters. I'm wondering if I squirted some lubricant down around it, if that's likely to be good or bad. And if so, what should I go for? Is silicon spray good, or should I get something oil-based?

Hoping for the easy fix, but if not, now that I'm vaccinated I may be able to get someone's help with the tear-it-down fix if necessary. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,734 Posts
There are a wide variety of opinions on a topic like this:

Some say that petroleum products can gum up cables and make matters worse, so you should use dry lubricants like graphite or teflon, which may come with a fluid carrier that evaporates leaving behind solid film.

Then again if your cables have a lot of friction, sometimes an oily substance might work better at freeing up that kind of thing.

Bicycle and motorcycle guys rely on control cables and even they can't agree on best practices, but their control cables are easily accessible and they have specialized tools and products to rinse grit out of the cable sheath while lubricating it. Probably can't be done to your cable unless you take things apart, and if you're going to do that then I wonder how difficult it would be to replace the cable? Although this diagram shows a Legacy sedan, this was what came up as the parts list for a 2013 Outback

Reactions: arkaycee

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy thing to do is take the trim cover from over the pull handle and clean the handle assembly. Probably a lot of gunk down in there making the handle hang up.
I'll try for that first. I've got a set of trim pullers on order for another purpose anyway. May as well get more use out of 'em!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts