Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day a rock flew up and hit the hood and put a pretty deep dent in the hood of our 2013 Outback. Now I am kicking myself for not putting a hood deflector on it. I cannot believe how deep the dent is. Ive heard they use thin metal n the Outback, but it must be really thin.

Is it true that only one hood deflector is available and its the Subaru branded one? Other cars are blessed with the ability to find one at JC Whitney, Lund or other accessory place. Anyone have any sites to buy one at a better price than $74 + shipping?????

Also ive heard that its a nightmare to install. Any tips?

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
It is very easy to install just follow the enclosed instruction. Do yourself a big favor and remove the big foam strip from the deflector to safe your paint. I did it in time before my paint was damaged and don't understand why it is on the deflector to start with. Other peeps may chime in here with their views. Price wise I don't know where to get it on the cheap but it is worth preventing hood damage.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Look here for a bit of insight. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/34839-hood-protector-harming-paint.html

You can also use a narrow strip of 3M Clearbra material to protect the hood. I begged a scrap from the local dealer. Worked very well. Be sure to put a sheet or something over the engine bay when doing install, several have dropped parts and never found them.

I used the beg method for a free strip of 3M on my first OB but went with the bikini cut clearbra(1/3 hood) on my current. Both are essentially the same and have had no issues with either. Removing the foam is definitely the easy/cheap. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ive heard they use thin metal n the Outback, but it must be really thin.
I reckon thin gauge sheet steel is used on many modern cars for weight savings. Heavier gauge steel could be used at a mpg penalty.
Contrary to what you may think,thinner steel is safer in a collision too.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Maybe my dealer has one. Almost $12 shipping is nut for a 3' piece of polycarbonate

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
I did it in time before my paint was damaged and don't understand why it is on the deflector to start with. Other peeps may chime in here with their views.
I posted this before about the foam strip - still not sure if it's the reason it's there:

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ddd; COLOR: #ddd" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I think I know what purpose the foam serves. I was looking at my sister's Murano that has a hood protector - no foam rubber - and noticed that the leading edge of the protector goes completely under the hood so none of the airflow can get under the protector. The OB doesn't do this - there is a gap where air can flow under the protector and then over the top of the hood. I think the foam is there to prevent this thus keeping all the airflow going over the top of the hood protector making it more effevtive at diverting debris and insects.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
The 14 Forester has a aluminum hood. I can lift it with 1 finger. I would imagine that would dent very easy. My 13 Accord has a hood so heavy it takes both hands and a lot of muscle to lift it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I reckon thin gauge sheet steel is used on many modern cars for weight savings. Heavier gauge steel could be used at a mpg penalty.
Contrary to what you may think,thinner steel is safer in a collision too.

Yep, I'm pretty sure the Outback is made of tissue paper. I keep the paintless dent removal guy on speed dial.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
The foam is there to prevent whistling at the top of the windshield. If you remove the foam, it creates a high flow air stream that leads to noise under certain conditions. I had this happen once I removed mine. Figured it out with tape. BTW, I think the directions subaru supply are HORRIBLE.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i use the magnet bra , its like $60 bucks n works alright.
I actually just ordered one. A few others ordered them and they seem to do the trick.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I cant see how a magnet wont get dirt under it and acratch the clear coat terribly?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it stays put it should not scratch. I guess if it does I will remove it

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Had the magnet bra on for over a year. Works great.

You can't see how dirt won't get under a magnet? I have to point this out... It's a magnet. It's pretty solid on there.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some photos of the magnetbra installed on our 2013. It was a little more difficult to install than I thought it would be, but its on there now. Looks good. I just hope that with the maintenance removal and reinstallations it conforms to the hood a little better

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Outback H6 LL Bean , 94 Ford Aerostar
125 Posts
so heavy it takes both hands- My 08 LLBean is like that. That gen outback many put a air deflector on the front of the hood to try to keep rocks from dinging the windshield, that's not a problem with the newer ones ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts