Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking I should of waited for the 2013 Outback instead of buying a 2012, with all the people here saying how much better their 2013 Outback is over the older 2010-12 Outbacks. Well Consumer reports says they lowered the test score on the 2013 to 73 from the previous 79 because not all the changes are improvements. So maybe the 2014 will be better. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I drove the 12 and 13 and ordered a 13. The two 12's I drove with a 2.5 and 3.6L engines had a persistent shake or shimmy which was a deal breaker. That and Eye Sight is what made the choice easy for me.
Remember this each year CR changes their weighting systems and increases the difficulty to achieve the same score. The 12 if tested in 13 would fair worse than the 12 did in 12, all cars would.
Model change over will be in 15 if the 5 year cycle holds true.

For the record my 13 is the best vehicle I have owned and this includes my BMWs and other vehicles costing considerably more than the Outback.

Following CR's recommendations is not my cup of tea it is for me just a starting point. I am not buying a toaster but something I want a connection with. Experiences like this forum really help a prospective buyer like I was in July make an informed decision.

If Eye Sight had been crap and the 12's I drove not had the shimmy buying one would have been perfectly fine with me...

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Remember this each year CR changes their weighting systems and increases the difficulty to achieve the same score. The 12 if tested in 13 would fair worse than the 12 did in 12, all cars would.
Model change over will be in 15 if the 5 year cycle holds true.

Following CR's recommendations is not my cup of tea it is for me just a starting point. I am not buying a toaster but something I want a connection with. Experiences like this forum really help a prospective buyer like I was in July make an informed decision.
Not all the time. CR sometimes demerits the new model and lowers the score for specified reasons. It does not mean that the test has gotten harder. Examples? Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey both got lower scores in the new designs vs. the older models because the new designs were simply not as good as the old. It was not that the field has gotten to a higher standard. You have to read CR's reasoning before coming to your conclusion above.

Now, as far as buying something that you have a connection with, you bought the wrong vehicle in the Outback! :gasp:

CR represents an opinion. Frankly, i do trust them. They may not be the foremost expert in performance and handling (like maybe Car & Driver and Road & Track, etc.), but i trust them in the common day attritube testings (road noise, comfort, room, etc.).

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I drove the 12 and 13 and ordered a 13. The two 12's I drove with a 2.5 and 3.6L engines had a persistent shake or shimmy which was a deal breaker. That and Eye Sight is what made the choice easy for me....
...test scores with CR are always subject and a change of few points means nothing. What I do find interesting however, is that the two '12's you drove had a persisitant shake/shimmy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check this thread...

Plenty of good responses and rants in this thread on the CR article...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/49566-consumer-reports-dings-2013-outback-bit.html

A buddy at work who is a Subie guru sent me a scanned copy of the article. The article basically resounded with "I am a car reviewer who doesn't have to worry about price or practical driving of the vehicle. In fact, only people who drive at autobahn speeds are worthy of reading this."

OK, so maybe I'm a little biased, but after reading the article, all the "scores" were on MUCH more expensive or thirsty or less reliable vehicles. So, my 2013 gets a 90+ which is A-OK with me! :29:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the biggest reason the 2013 scored lower was due to the firmer ride. If I recall correctly, they said the previous models had "plush" rides, compared to the '13. We bought the '13 based on driving several of the '10-'12 models only to find the ride stiffer. My wife is fine with it, I drive pickup trucks all day and would prefer a ride a little softer. It is in no way a bad ride, just a little firmer than before..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Chngalay
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing